2 Samuel 19 A Pardon

seekeroftruth

2 Samuel 19:14 He won over the hearts of the men of Judah so that they were all of one mind. They sent word to the king, “Return, you and all your men.” 15 Then the king returned and went as far as the Jordan.

Now the men of Judah had come to Gilgal to go out and meet the king and bring him across the Jordan. 16 Shimei son of Gera, the Benjamite from Bahurim, hurried down with the men of Judah to meet King David. 17 With him were a thousand Benjamites, along with Ziba, the steward of Saul’s household, and his fifteen sons and twenty servants. They rushed to the Jordan, where the king was. 18 They crossed at the ford to take the king’s household over and to do whatever he wished.

When Shimei son of Gera crossed the Jordan, he fell prostrate before the king 19 and said to him, “May my lord not hold me guilty. Do not remember how your servant did wrong on the day my lord the king left Jerusalem. May the king put it out of his mind. 20 For I your servant know that I have sinned, but today I have come here as the first from the tribes of Joseph to come down and meet my lord the king.”

21 Then Abishai son of Zeruiah said, “Shouldn’t Shimei be put to death for this? He cursed the Lord’s anointed.”

22 David replied, “What does this have to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? What right do you have to interfere? Should anyone be put to death in Israel today? Don’t I know that today I am king over Israel?” 23 So the king said to Shimei, “You shall not die.” And the king promised him on oath.​

The last time I saw this guy Shimei was when he was throwing rocks at David when he was leaving Jerusalem.

This is from Bibletrack.org.

Then David goes on a pardoning spree. First up: Shimei, the guy who walked along beside David as he was leaving Jerusalem cursing David and throwing rocks at him back in II Samuel 16:5-14. Shimei brought 1,000 men with him for his sincere apology act. What a difference in Shimei's attitude; he just gushes with superficial platitudes in verses 19-20. Surely David won't let him walk away unscathed! David's nephew (Joab's brother), Abishai, has what seems like the best idea - kill him! But, no, David makes an oath that he shall not die - at least at the hand of David. However, what isn't mentioned this day is that Shimei only gets a stay of execution; he gets his execution after all in I Kings 2:8-9.​

This is from Bible.org.

Shimei is no stranger to us or to David. He is the descendant of Saul who harassed David and those ith him when they fled from Jerusalem. He hurled rocks, dirt, accusations, and insults at David. Abishai had wanted to shut this man's mouth permanently then, but David refused, assuming God was, in some way, rebuking him through this loudmouth. Now, on his return, David must pass through Bahurim, Shimei's home town. Shimei knows he is in serious trouble. David is once again the King of Israel, and he may reasonably view Shimei as a traitor who needs to be removed.

Shimei comes, apparently convicted of his folly and sin and eager to demonstrate his repentance to David as he seeks forgiveness. He brings 1,000 Benjamites with him, who also express their submission to David as their king. Shimei does not beat around the bush. He confesses his sin and folly and pleads for David's forgiveness. Once again, Abishai expresses his wish to execute this trouble-maker and be rid of him once for all. David refuses Abishai once again, rebuking not only him but his brother, Joab (who is obviously behind him in his intended execution -- note “O sons [plural] of Zeruiah” in verse 22). This is a day of reconciliation. There will be no executions, even though Shimei deserves to die because he has cursed a ruler of his people (see Exodus 22:28). David assures him, “You shall not die” (verse 23).​

Please allow me to take a second look at Exodus 22:28.

Exodus 22:28 “Do not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people.​

Well, it appears that Shimei has indeed broken the law. According to Exodus 22:28 this was one of the Laws of Responsibility. It's right in the same verses as rape, having sex with an animal and hording grain. These were serious charges.... but David let him off. I know Abishai is some kind of ticked off.

:coffee: