Indoor Temperature

SamSpade

We have the AC on pretty good in our house - but - the downstairs is a LOT colder than the upstairs. I realize that's because cold air goes down and hot air goes up - or rather, dense air goes down, etc. - but

You'd think a good system could circulate the air better so there isn't a big difference. Downstairs is easily ten degrees cooler.

Suggestions on getting the air around?

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
My 2 story rental house has 1 HVAC system. At the air handler there are balancing dampers in the 2 main duct trunks to redirect the air during winter/summer. In the summer you turn the damper handle to push more cool air upstairs, in the winter you turn the damper handle to push more warm air down stairs. My nephew had some added to his 2 story house with one HVAC system, made a big difference.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Call your HVAC people and ask about zoning.
It will allow you to adjust temps in different areas.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We have the AC on pretty good in our house - but - the downstairs is a LOT colder than the upstairs. I realize that's because cold air goes down and hot air goes up - or rather, dense air goes down, etc. - but

You'd think a good system could circulate the air better so there isn't a big difference. Downstairs is easily ten degrees cooler.

Suggestions on getting the air around?

Do you have an attic fan? I ask because our house was built in 1970, and our upper floor air system sucks, and the one and only thermostat is on the main floor, so it can’t even read the temp upstairs. If we run the attic fan during the day, it helps a lot to remove the hot air. But, because of the extreme June temps breaking records this year is why the heat in the house is so bad (our house is very insulated). Our second bedroom just became our basement. It is like natural a/c (no vents open down there) and our old couch we moved from Calvert is huge and comfy. Otherwise, the basement wasn’t being used except for doing laundry, workout equipment, and an occasional poker game for hub and friends. I am going to look into what Stad said about dampers. Stay cool, Sam. :smile:

black dog

Free America
Try running your HVAC fan and let it circulate the air even when the AC is not running.
You should have a swicth on the thermostat to switch the fan from auto to on or run.
You also could see if you have dampers like posted above or if not start closing the downstairs vents and force more ait upstairs.

Chris0nllyn

Do you have an attic fan? I ask because our house was built in 1970, and our upper floor air system sucks, and the one and only thermostat is on the main floor, so it can’t even read the temp upstairs. If we run the attic fan during the day, it helps a lot to remove the hot air. But, because of the extreme June temps breaking records this year is why the heat in the house is so bad (our house is very insulated). Our second bedroom just became our basement. It is like natural a/c (no vents open down there) and our old couch we moved from Calvert is huge and comfy. Otherwise, the basement wasn’t being used except for doing laundry, workout equipment, and an occasional poker game for hub and friends. I am going to look into what Stad said about dampers. Stay cool, Sam. :smile:

Be careful using attic fans. If it's oversized it will pull a vacuum in your attic and if your house isn't sealed up tight, you'll pull cool air into your attic.

Clem72

Also note the size of the air return for the second floor. If it's undersized (or if it takes too many 90 degree turns, each of which is equivalent to 30 feet of plenum) it won't pull any air and you won't be properly circulating the air upstairs. You could also check to see if your basement return is too large (pulling the cold air from the first floor and causing a loop that isolates hot air upsairs).