Internet Sales Tax

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Today, Americans for Tax Reform President Grover Norquist issued the following statement on the South Dakota v. Wayfair decision:

"Today the Supreme Court said 'yes—you can be taxed by politicians you do not elect and who act knowing you are powerless to object.' This power can now be used to export sales taxes, personal and corporate income taxes, and opens the door for the European Union to export its tax burden onto American businesses—as they have been demanding.

If physical nexus is no longer required, as the Quill vs. ND case demanded, for sales taxes then it is no longer required for personal or corporate income taxes.

Now, California (or any state or city that loses population through exit) can tax people and businesses who do their best to avoid that state or city.

https://www.atr.org/norquist-statement-south-dakota-v-wayfair?amp

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The Court stated, “Because the physical presence rule of Quill is unsound and incorrect,” Quill and Bellas were overruled. The Court added, “The physical presence rule has long been criticized as giving out-of-state sellers an advantage. Each year, it becomes further removed from economic reality and results in significant revenue losses to the States. These critiques underscore that the rule, both as first formulated and as applied today, is an incorrect interpretation of the Commerce Clause.”

Vis-à-vis Quill, the Court stated that it “creates rather than resolves market distortions. In effect, it is a judicially created tax shelter for businesses that limit their physical presence in a State but sell their goods and services to the State’s consumers.” It added that Quill “imposes the sort of arbitrary, formalistic distinction that the Court’s modern Commerce Clause precedents disavow in favor of ‘a sensitive, case-by-case analysis of purposes and effects,’ West Lynn Creamery, Inc. v. Healy, 512 U. S. 186, 201.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32131/supreme-court-online-shoppers-can-be-forced-pay-hank-berrien

black dog

Free America
It pisses me off when I order something online or through Amazon Prime and it's shipped from another state than Indiana and I pay sales tax because they have a distribution center in Indiana.

JustACitizen

yeah why is that smart guy

Ask me again after you've read the actual SCOTUS decision and not some bias-confirming propaganda piece.

I don't expect you to bother (much less understand even if you made an attempt), so I'm sure I'll not hear from you again.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

So now, SCOTUS has solidified taxation without representation. These businesses, with no presence in a given state, will now be forced to collect sales taxes to a state where they have no political say whatsoever. If I were an e-commerce business, if forced to collect, I would bill for my sales tax collection services equal to that of any sales tax due to a demanding state.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
yeah...this has to be a good ruling....just great..

At the same time, the ruling means that online retailers — large and small — will soon have to comply with nearly 10,000 different tax jurisdictions across the country in the 45 states that impose sales taxes. That means different rates, varying definitions of products, and a variety of exemptions. The resulting complexity is mind-boggling.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/supreme-court-dakota-wayfair-internet-sales-tax/

JustACitizen

Perhaps if folks paid the tax due to local states as you’re required to do on “tax free” purchases, you wouldn’t have the government having to step in and fix the problem.

I know you people are law & order types and constantly whine that “we are a nation of laws and not of men.” Why have you been shirking your patriotic duty to pay sales taxes?

black dog

Free America
Perhaps if folks paid the tax due to local states as you’re required to do on “tax free” purchases, you wouldn’t have the government having to step in and fix the problem.

I know you people are law & order types and constantly whine that “we are a nation of laws and not of men.” Why have you been shirking your patriotic duty to pay sales taxes?

Everything we order comes from Delaware.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Ahhhhhh.. just a small update on Peachtree...

:yay:

This will put the smaller online retailers out of business or force them through someone like Amazon when they can't afford to update software to accommodate every tax location, rate and category in the country.

Alternately they could also limit the localities they will do business.

black dog

Free America

This will put the smaller online retailers out of business or force them through someone like Amazon when they can't afford to update software to accommodate every tax location, rate and category in the country.

Makes me glad I wholesale just about everything I make..
Anything that I ship out of country I do a" buy it now " on eBay and eBay takes care of paperwork, import duty and shipping costs, they bill the customer for those services.
I just ship to either Delaware or Kentucky to a hub and eBay takes over with the customer. It works well for what little I ship out of country.

JustACitizen

All software I’m familiar with has tax information for all states already built-in. A software vendor might sell their software to a company in any state in the Union. Why would any developer of this type of software have x different versions to accommodate various scenarios? They wouldn’t. You make one version and have a simple lookup table that makes a determination if tax collection is required or not.

The only thing that changes is the requirement to collect. Tax is computed automatically at checkout.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I operate my company as non-exempt simply to avoid the hassles of dealing with sales tax collection and reporting. I've owned businesses that had no choice in the matter too..what a PITA that was. And now I'd have to collect and repatriate taxes to every other sales taxing state in the union??? Eff that.

black dog

Free America
I operate my company as non-exempt simply to avoid the hassles of dealing with sales tax collection and reporting. I've owned businesses that had no choice in the matter too..what a PITA that was. And now I'd have to collect and repatriate taxes to every other sales taxing state in the union??? Eff that.

Yep, I don't believe my Peachtree has sales tax for each state, well I've never seen it anyway. Maybe through POS software?
Don't know I'm just a welder.
I've gotten emails from eBay about this just today.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps you could stick your index finger up your rectum full length deep, then place it in your mouth, and give your finger a little taste, and let us know if it tastes like chocolate caramel pudding?