Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Internet Sales Tax

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    It's not when you go to Pennsylvania and buy a pizza it's when you order a pizza from Pennsylvania and have it delivered to Maryland. Why should one then pay Pennsylvania taxes..
    Another question would be are these companies that collect 4-8% sales tax actually giving it to the state or occasionally adding to the profit margin..
    Funny you should mention that, I went to high school with a guy that owned a small used car lot, he got caught doing something that sounded a lot like that, in addition to not actually paying off the loans of the cars that were traded into him.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by JustACitizen View Post
    Sounds like you didn’t bother to read the actual SCOTUS ruling.
    Oh please, please, show me the error of my ways.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    It's not when you go to Pennsylvania and buy a pizza it's when you order a pizza from Pennsylvania and have it delivered to Maryland. Why should one then pay Pennsylvania taxes.. .
    Oddly enough - I was thinking of an ACTUAL place that ships across the country, but they have one location - in Pennsylvania.

Do you suppose it is fair then, that a customer can walk in and pay Pennsylvania tax - they could DRIVE there, buy it, pay Pennsylvania tax -

BUT they could have it delivered 100 feet away from the store - and pay NO tax? 100 miles from the store - pay no tax.

This is a case that to me does seem cut and dried - they have exactly one location - so it seems fair to me you'd pay the same tax as you
    would if you yourself were the delivery service - if you drove there and picked it up.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Oddly enough - I was thinking of an ACTUAL place that ships across the country, but they have one location - in Pennsylvania.

Do you suppose it is fair then, that a customer can walk in and pay Pennsylvania tax - they could DRIVE there, buy it, pay Pennsylvania tax -

BUT they could have it delivered 100 feet away from the store - and pay NO tax? 100 miles from the store - pay no tax.

This is a case that to me does seem cut and dried - they have exactly one location - so it seems fair to me you'd pay the same tax as you
    would if you yourself were the delivery service - if you drove there and picked it up.
    The delivery service is just a broker, a shipping broker.
    So if I'm ordering materials as a non exempt company tax will be paid twice on the same materials in a short amount of time.
    If I order steel from out of state and pay tax on it and I sell what was built in a week that steel was double taxed. So in order to bypass that I have to now be an exempt company and just added more work for the book keeper / accountant.

Doing this will add a unnecessary burden on small and medium sized business.
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    You have a psychiatric disorder. Get help.

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Oddly enough - I was thinking of an ACTUAL place that ships across the country, but they have one location - in Pennsylvania. Do you suppose it is fair then, that a customer can walk in and pay Pennsylvania tax - they could DRIVE there, buy it, pay Pennsylvania tax - BUT they could have it delivered 100 feet away from the store - and pay NO tax? 100 miles from the store - pay no tax. This is a case that to me does seem cut and dried - they have exactly one location - so it seems fair to me you'd pay the same tax as you would if you yourself were the delivery service - if you drove there and picked it up.
    It is fair to pay a sales tax when in another state because you are using their government "services", using their roads etc. There is no such use when having something delivered from out of state. What there is now is an import tax upon the businesses shipping an order to another state in which they have no presence under the guise of a sales tax. That is unconstitutional.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

It is fair to pay a sales tax when in another state because you are using their government "services", using their roads etc. There is no such use when having something delivered from out of state. What there is now is an import tax upon the businesses shipping an order to another state in which they have no presence under the guise of a sales tax. That is unconstitutional.

See, when I go to Canada - I save my receipts - and I don't pay Canadian taxes. Any of them.
    I'm not Canadian - thank God.

I assume that state taxes are levied against commerce done in their state - period.
    This would be why if you're from Virginia and you buy gas before you cross the Nice Bridge -
    well that would be stupid, but - you don't get reimbursed the taxes because you happen to be a resident of Virginia.
    Too damned bad.

And I did state before - what's to keep people from ordering merchandise WITHIN their own state - in fact,
    a brick and mortar place they can actually walk to - and avoid paying tax?

What happens to the entire purpose of sales tax if everyone can just buy stuff online - and even pick it up themselves?
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Members who have read this thread: 50