2 Samuel 20 The Concubine's fate

seekeroftruth

2 Samuel 20:3 When David returned to his palace in Jerusalem, he took the ten concubines he had left to take care of the palace and put them in a house under guard. He provided for them but had no sexual relations with them. They were kept in confinement till the day of their death, living as widows.​

I just hate it when important news like this is shuffled in with battle stories. These ten women did nothing wrong. They were the victims. I don't want to leave their fate as a side note. When David left the castle after Absalom "took" the kingdom, one of the first acts of Absalom, was the rape of these women. They were left behind to care for the house. Now, they are shamed and have to live like the widows.

This is from Bible.org.

The first thing David does after arriving in Jerusalem is deal with the ten wives (or concubines) he left behind to keep the house. Absalom has slept with these women in public; there is no way David can go back to the way things were. He will never sleep with any of these women again. He appoints a place for them to stay and provides generously (I am sure) for them, but he does not sleep with them again. They have been defiled by Absalom.​

This is from blueletterbible.org.

Put them in seclusion: Absalom raped these ten concubines as part of his rebellion against David (2 Samuel 16:20-23). Upon his return, David set them aside as unfortunate victims of Absalom's sin.

They were shut up to the day of their death, living in widowhood: The sad fate of David's ten concubines is an example of how our sin often has horrible effects on others. They suffered because of Absalom's sin - and David's sin.

And... this is from Bibletrack.org.

Despite this northern-tribe rebellion led by Sheba (a Benjamite), the men of Judah remain firmly behind David. So, David returns to Jerusalem, takes back control of his household, reassigns the 10 concubines who had been defiled by Absalom (they lived as widows for the rest of their lives) back in II Samuel 16:21-22 and makes preparation for war again; this time it's Judah led by David against Sheba leading the rest of Israel.​

I hope they really were treated well. After all, women didn't mean much back in those days. They were sperm depositories, house maids and they raised the children. Once David took them as concubines, they were never going to be married. Once David set them up in that place.... they would never know love.... they were broken trophies... right?

:coffee: