Good news? Bad news? You tell me.....

glhs837

Power with Control
https://jalopnik.com/german-automakers-want-to-make-a-deal-with-trump-to-end-1826997044

Finally, some potentially good news: in an effort to get the Trump administration to abandon its plan to place a 25 percent tax on all European auto imports, all three of the big German automakers—Daimler, Volkswagen, and NSU (just kidding, it’s BMW)—have come up with a proposal that would get rid of all car import tariffs between America and Europe. And that would include the hated Chicken Tax.

Drop all the walls. On a trade side anyway, level that ol' playing field, right? Where's the downside?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not up enough on that stuff to make any comments or suggestions, but what I do know is that I'd like to see more American made and less imports. I'm not sure whose idea it was to destroy those US industries (read: jobs) in the first place. Trump is the first President I can recall giving "made in the US" any more than lip service to get elected.

transporter

https://jalopnik.com/german-automakers-want-to-make-a-deal-with-trump-to-end-1826997044

Drop all the walls. On a trade side anyway, level that ol' playing field, right? Where's the downside?

Good news? Bad news?

Entirely up to your perspective. From a "free trade" perspective...this is good news.

But Trump isn't a free trader. So for him this is bad. Trump's idea is that trade is one way and that there are only winners and losers. Here is where Trump and his cultists will balk:

This would potentially be a very reciprocal deal, arguably even one that would benefit the Europeans more, since it would get rid of tariffs that have been in place for decades, in the case of the Chicken Tax, and open up the U.S. market to trucks and commercial vehicles from Europe, and, as a side effect, all over the world, including Asia.

Trade is supposed to be supportive of all who participate...that is the whole concept. Increase the size of the pie.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm not up enough on that stuff to make any comments or suggestions, but what I do know is that I'd like to see more American made and less imports. I'm not sure whose idea it was to destroy those US industries (read: jobs) in the first place. Trump is the first President I can recall giving "made in the US" any more than lip service to get elected.

Well, "American made" is a bit of a mess these days. Everybody has plants here in the states, we have plants elsewhere. Vistually oll of the BMW SUC/CUVs you see are made in South Carolina. Mercedes has a plant in I think GA. All of your Dodge sedans are built in Canada, most with engines made in Mexico. Here's whats made here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobiles_manufactured_in_the_United_States

But understand that our vehicles face stiff barriers overseas. And while making her and selling here is good, making here and selling elsewhere makes a pretty big economic difference.

transporter

Whose idea was it to "destroy" US industries? Why it was mainly yours as an American consumer.

You only care about cheap. You don't care about quality.

It was also unions. Who didn't care about quality only benefits and wages.

It was also business. Who didn't care about anything at all except profits.

Not a difficult equation to figure out.

It is funny that you think Trump has any interest in American made. His tariffs will hurt more Americans than they will help. His asinine approach to negotiations serves no one's purpose. These are not zero sum games.

You want to slow illegal immigration...then you have to find a way to make people WANT TO STAY in their HOME country. It is beyond stupid to think that arresting people and putting up walls will stop anything when you have done nothing to get at the root problems (economic stagnation, political and social instability). But stupid is what this President counts on...and folks like you is exactly who he is playing to so you will be dumb enough to keep supporting his efforts to weaken this country.

glhs837

Power with Control
Good news? Bad news?

Entirely up to your perspective. From a "free trade" perspective...this is good news.

But Trump isn't a free trader. So for him this is bad. Trump's idea is that trade is one way and that there are only winners and losers. Here is where Trump and his cultists will balk:

Trade is supposed to be supportive of all who participate...that is the whole concept. Increase the size of the pie.

Free trader or fair trader? If they have had a thumb on the scales for a while, and a threat of adding an equal thumb on our side of the scale makes them lift thiers off, how is that against fair trade? If I understand his position, the trade deals post WWII were dleiberately slanted to favor Europe to help them rebuild. Pretty sure thats been done for a few decades now. What am I missing?

Hijinx

Good news? Bad news?

I don't agree with your opinion.
Trump started this trade tarriff argument to ensure we got fair treatment in trade.
If no one charges tarriffs what could be more fair.

If Germany agrees to this Trump would have to put up or shut up.
If he didn't agree then you would have an argument in your favor.
Until then why don't you shut up.

glhs837

Power with Control
Whose idea was it to "destroy" US industries? Why it was mainly yours as an American consumer.

It is funny that you think Trump has any interest in American made. His tariffs will hurt more Americans than they will help. His asinine approach to negotiations serves no one's purpose. These are not zero sum games.

You want to slow illegal immigration...then you have to find a way to make people WANT TO STAY in their HOME country. It is beyond stupid to think that arresting people and putting up walls will stop anything when you have done nothing to get at the root problems (economic stagnation, political and social instability). But stupid is what this President counts on...and folks like you is exactly who he is playing to so you will be dumb enough to keep supporting his efforts to weaken this country.

I've seen you make this case before, and it's not without merit. Basically a global "rising tide" argument. But how do you propose that to actually work? To fix these shartholes would require the US to actively engage on meddling in the affairs of sovreign nations to a scale not seen since the Marshall Plan. Pretty sure if Trump were to even try that, the hue and cry would be immense. But lets stick to the spsecific issue. Can we all agree dropping all the tariffs, even those like the Chicken Tax that were set up to benefit us, would be a good thing? Compete, damnit.

Hijinx

Well you are wrong here. Americans do like quality when it comes to cars and vehicles.

I remember when harley put out motorcycles that were junk the day you bought them.
Japanese imports were so good they forced Harley to produce a better Motorcycle.
By the way we put a tariff on Japanese bikes to keep Harley in business , but even that would not have worked had they not improved their product.

Then I bought a Toyota in 2005 , I never realized how much better than american cars the japanese cars were. I still have the Toyota and it has over 200,000 miles and runs like a top.
Better Japanese cars forced American manufacturers to improve their product.
And Americans have improved their product . I just bought a Ford pick-up. Cheaper than the Toyota and very comparable in quality.

As for us making foreign countries into countries where their people will want to stay???
How the Phuck do you propose Trump can do that?

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
As for us making foreign countries into countries where their people will want to stay???
How the Phuck do you propose Trump can do that?

Stop making it easy for them to come here and they may have an incentive to stay and fix their own home.

BOP

Good news? Bad news?

I started reading and thought "reasonable so far, but then i got to the second paragraph and said 'wait a minute.' Then i realized who the poster was and said 'never mind.'"

MiddleGround

I think Trump has the mindset that if tariffs are raised, it will force Americans to buy American-made products due to the significant price increases in foreign made items. This is admirable.

Unfortunately, the only thing it will do is influence American-made businesses to increase prices to match in order to increase profit margin. In the end, the company's allegiance is to it's share holders. Not to helping the economy or Americans.

glhs837

Power with Control
for decades Ford has Sold MORE F-150s than other manufactures sold Cars

The F-150 has constantly been in the C/D Top Ten most sold, month in and month out

SO I was reading an article on Jalopnik a few weeks back about nw was the time to look at a Dodge or Cheby. Ford had some sort of issue that was going to significantly impact F-150 production and both GM and FCA were offering thier trucks at silly discounts just to see if they could snipe the "Number One Selling Truck" for just one month.

Hijinx

SO I was reading an article on Jalopnik a few weeks back about nw was the time to look at a Dodge or Cheby. Ford had some sort of issue that was going to significantly impact F-150 production and both GM and FCA were offering thier trucks at silly discounts just to see if they could snipe the "Number One Selling Truck" for just one month.

I saw a sign outside a dealers window saying 13,000 dollars off. If they can sell a truck for $13,000 dollars off the damned thing is overpriced to start with.