Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roadside America: A tiny slice of Americana

Quote Originally Posted by SailorGirl View Post
    I thought you might have been talking about Enchanted Forest near Ellicott City for a minute. Same scenario, family owned, death in family, Americana, etc. All the pieces in that place were eventually given to another family who restored and opened a new place. That was a great place to go if you were a young kid and liked fairy tales. I managed to make it once with my oldest before they closed for good. Sorry to see it closed - like centuries ago.
    That area is where I'm from..where I grew up on a farm (in Glenelg). Fortunately, many of the features were saved and relocated to a farm not too far from the original location on Rt 40. But of course it's not the same and not the big draw - and youth summer job source - that it was back in it's day. Forest Diner is gone now too...my "second home" back when I lived in a small trailer off Marriottsville Rd, running a landscape/patio/pool business.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    That area is where I'm from..where I grew up on a farm (in Glenelg).
    Is there anyplace you're not from or lived at?
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Yeah...but I've always worked toward rectifyin' that.... And if I don't stay constantly on the move, they might catch up with me.

I only recall one visit to Enchanted Forest...back in the mid 60s when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old. But drove buy it often in later years, and knew the family that owned and ran it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    That area is where I'm from..where I grew up on a farm (in Glenelg). Fortunately, many of the features were saved and relocated to a farm not too far from the original location on Rt 40. But of course it's not the same and not the big draw - and youth summer job source - that it was back in it's day. Forest Diner is gone now too...my "second home" back when I lived in a small trailer off Marriottsville Rd, running a landscape/patio/pool business.
    Forest Diner - was that a dining car/trailer type thing with seats at the counter/booths maybe or am I getting that mixed up with other stuff?

I can't picture where Glenelg is located. I frequented Ellicott City/Rising Sun a lot in my 20s and car trips to Patapsco State Park every Sunday. There was a factory or something somewhere on the way that made whiskey and you always rolled the windows down to smell what you could. Can't remember the name of the place anymore and it's driving me bananas. Enchanted Forest was always a landmark for me on the way back from anywhere and meant I was getting close to home. I miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorGirl View Post
    Forest Diner - was that a dining car/trailer type thing with seats at the counter/booths maybe or am I getting that mixed up with other stuff?

I can't picture where Glenelg is located. I frequented Ellicott City/Rising Sun a lot in my 20s and car trips to Patapsco State Park every Sunday. There was a factory or something somewhere on the way that made whiskey and you always rolled the windows down to smell what you could. Can't remember the name of the place anymore and it's driving me bananas. Enchanted Forest was always a landmark for me on the way back from anywhere and meant I was getting close to home. I miss those days.
    Glenelg was just a bit west of Enchanted Forest. Rt 144 peeled off Rt 40 and a few miles west of there was Triadelphia Rd. Or you could shoot straight down south 97 from Rt 40W and Glenelg was just past Glenwood. There wasn't anything there then...a general store and post office.

And yes...you described Forest Diner to a a "t". Can't recall any distilleries but there was the big Carling brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Could this really be him? http://www.businessinsider.com/semio...levich-2014-11
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    nah...I'm 5' 11". Although I could be wearing elevator shoes....muah ha haaa

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name" ;-p
    Last edited by Gilligan; 06-25-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 46