Antwon Rose, thoughts?

glhs837

Power with Control
SO, good shoot, bad shoot, dont know. What caught my ear this AM as I was listening to NPR on the way in was that they shut down a highway for 4 hours. Are you kidding me? You want to protest, go right ahead, but your thoughs on justice dont trump my rights to peaceably go about my life. Bring in the the busses and start hauling them away. If you keep letting them do whatever they want, pretty soon you have Baltimore.

black dog

Free America
I always have a hard time understanding why LE shoots unarmed citizens running away from them. It's not much of a threat being unarmed and running away.
And the shooter is a brand spanking new agent of the government.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Wednesday quoted Mayor Louis Payne of East Pittsburgh — a borough in Allegheny County — as saying that the officer who shot Antwon was hired in mid-May and had been formally sworn in hours before the shooting.

glhs837

Power with Control
I always have a hard time understanding why LE shoots unarmed citizens running away from them. It's not much of a threat being unarmed and running away.
And the shooter is a brand spanking new agent of the government.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Wednesday quoted Mayor Louis Payne of East Pittsburgh — a borough in Allegheny County — as saying that the officer who shot Antwon was hired in mid-May and had been formally sworn in hours before the shooting.

Does it help a bit to know that, if what I have read is true, the vehicle he was in had just come from a shooting, and there were firearms recovered from the car? So I dont think that the officer was really sure the young man was unarmed.

black dog

Free America
Does it help a bit to know that, if what I have read is true, the vehicle he was in had just come from a shooting, and there were firearms recovered from the car? So I dont think that the officer was really sure the young man was unarmed.

The vehicle was pulled over because it matched a description of a vehicle used in a robbery, the officers had no idea if in fact it was used in that crime. The officers at the time of the chase and the shooting had no idea that firearms were on the floor of the vehicle, and even if the officers had knowledge that firearms were in the car with them, no one brandished or pointed a gun at any officers. The jumped out of the car and ran..
No firearms were found on the deceased young man.
Why is law enforcement shooting unarmed citizens that are not a threat?

Songfourone

Did the LEO have xray vision to see what was in the car?

glhs837

Power with Control
The vehicle was pulled over because it matched a description of a vehicle used in a robbery, the officers had no idea if in fact it was used in that crime. The officers at the time of the chase and the shooting had no idea that firearms were on the floor of the vehicle, and even if the officers had knowledge that firearms were in the car with them, no one brandished or pointed a gun at any officers. The jumped out of the car and ran..

Hmmm, I dont know that I would say "not a threat". I would say "unknown threat". Not to say the shoot was good. More to be known, I think. I mean, the car wasn't pulled over because it matched the description of one seen speeding, or fleeing a shoplifting. It matched one involved in a shooting. But, good shoot or bad, I would say that perhaps we could stand down the level of protest until we see how the system reacts. If it starts stiff-arming the public, and looking like it's going to hide stuff, Then sure, go high order. But this shutting down highways and forcing confrontations with the police seems premature to me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I feel manipulated by the media because they're showing photos a clearly much younger than 17 Antwon Rose in an effort for me to perceive him as a child and wring sympathy and outrage out of me. So I don't like that very much and it makes me immediately suspicious.

The car he was riding in had been involved in a drive-by shooting.

When the car was stopped by police, he booked.

Clearly this is not the sweet cherub the media is trying to brainwash me into believing.

That said, since I don't trust the media to tell me the truth, I have no opinion on the situation because I don't have enough reliable information. In the past, the press has tried to convince me that some horrible cop shot down an unarmed cherub in cold blood, then we find out that that cherub was a habitual criminal who was in the process of committing another crime when he was shot.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Hypothetically speaking, I have no problem with cops shooting down criminals whether they're running away or not. What, they just go free to victimize people because they're smart enough to run? You have to catch them specifically in the immediate act of killing or raping someone, or they get a freebie?

Not saying that this kid was involved in the drive-by shooting or a bad seed - I have no idea. But generally speaking, I don't think criminals should get away with stuff just because they're currently unarmed and running away.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

The common thread in these cases is the fact the perp ran. If there was no guilty conscience, why run? Don't give me the "The authorities will shoot me anyway so why not make it difficult".

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
Hypothetically speaking, I have no problem with cops shooting down criminals whether they're running away or not. What, they just go free to victimize people because they're smart enough to run? You have to catch them specifically in the immediate act of killing or raping someone, or they get a freebie?

Not saying that this kid was involved in the drive-by shooting or a bad seed - I have no idea. But generally speaking, I don't think criminals should get away with stuff just because they're currently unarmed and running away.

Seems you constantly forget that Innocent until found Guilty thing...
The young man's day in court..... Now it's a pop in fresh cop most likely will be going to court.
Without an implied threat or imminent danger to the officers he shouldn't have been shot.. Without that they are not the judge , jury and executioner.
I'm glad you're not a judge.. I find it interesting that as Marines on the ground we just don't shoot people that we think might be a threat. We have to have been engaged first before we shoot back, or have approval to engage.
But it's ok with some to shoot unarmed citizens that clearly are not a threat when running away..

black dog

Free America
The common thread in these cases is the fact the perp ran. If there was no guilty conscience, why run? Don't give me the "The authorities will shoot me anyway so why not make it difficult".

Seems it's been ruled as a homicide..
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...-police-fatal-shooting-antwon-rose/index.html

First he wasn't a perp, he's just a young black man riding in a friend vehicle.
He has rights too.
This will cost the city millions and millions....

Can you show me laws against passengers running away from a car that's been pulled over?

Hijinx

Seems you constantly forget that Innocent until found Guilty thing...
The young man's day in court..... Now it's a pop in fresh cop most likely will be going to court.
Without an implied threat or imminent danger to the officers he shouldn't have been shot.. Without that they are not the judge , jury and executioner.
I'm glad you're not a judge.. I find it interesting that as Marines on the ground we just don't shoot people that we think might be a threat. We have to have been engaged first before we shoot back, or have approval to engage.
But it's ok with some to shoot unarmed citizens that clearly are not a threat when running away..

Rules of engagement that got a lot of people killed.

Lie down with dogs get up with fleas.

I am not familiar with the chase, but I do know if you get in a car with a friend and there are weapons on the floor common sense says you need to get out and find a new friend.
Sounds to me like bad choices were made by this kid and by the young inexperienced police officer.
I have to say this about the young cop though. 3 shots were fired and the kid got hit 3 times.
The officer could shoot.

black dog

Free America
I climb in friends vehicles all the time that have firearms in them, is that a bad choice?
With what you are saying I should find new friends...
Sounds to me like a brand new flame out the ass officer, made multiple poor choices and now a unarmed young man is dead.

Hijinx

I climb in friends vehicles all the time that have firearms in them, is that a bad choice?
With what you are saying I should find new friends...
Sounds to me like a brand new flame out the ass officer, made multiple poor choices and now a unarmed young man is dead.

Why do you try to make an argument out of everything?
You know exactly the point I was trying to make but you have to be an argumentative ass.

Yes the new officer made a mistake, but so did the kid who ran.
Do the mistakes nullify each other? No a kid is dead, but he contributed to his death.