Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Broomes Island Stoney's

Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    Even Jerry's doesn't use Maryland crabs for his crabcakes, from what I've read about his restaurant. However, I believe they're fresh made and not frozen pre-made/processed.

When I eat out, I don't want something I can make at home. I wouldn't want to pay for frozen and pre-made breaded shrimp. I've developed a slight reaction to shrimp in the past few years, (puffy eyes) and I've been leery to eat them. So, when I do I definitely want fresh and not frozen. Same with fish when I have a taste for fried fish and chips. I ask about it being fresh.
    The crab cakes are fresh made. I agree, if I eat out, I don't want something I usually make at home. I want fresh not frozen also, that's why I always get steamed shrimp (not streamed lol). Now I'm hungry for some good seafood.

2. 06-26-2018, 12:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    LOL Most people do think that but I've worked in 3 local places and it's frozen shrimp (unless it's streamed). Some think the crabs are picked in the back room for crab cakes too.
    Even Jerry's doesn't use Maryland crabs for his crabcakes, from what I've read about his restaurant. However, I believe they're fresh made and not frozen pre-made/processed.

When I eat out, I don't want something I can make at home. I wouldn't want to pay for frozen and pre-made breaded shrimp. I've developed a slight reaction to shrimp in the past few years, (puffy eyes) and I've been leery to eat them. So, when I do I definitely want fresh and not frozen. Same with fish when I have a taste for fried fish and chips. I ask about it being fresh.
    Oh, I dont expect anyones picking the crabs, or even that they are from DC, just that the crab meat is fresh, not frozen.
    "I aim to misbehave."

I remember this from a few years ago, most the of the crab we're eating isn't even blue crab:

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...and-crab-fakes

The crab cakes are fresh made. I agree, if I eat out, I don't want something I usually make at home. I want fresh not frozen also, that's why I always get steamed shrimp (not streamed lol). Now I'm hungry for some good seafood.
    A lot of the "fresh" shrimp sold in grocery stores (Wegman's in this case) is actually previously frozen. They open up a frozen bag and let it thaw on the ice in the case and sell it for a couple of bucks more than the already frozen shrimp. Once that sells, they do it over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

My oldest works at Jerry's and yes, they are made fresh daily. He had never shucked a crab before starting there. It was trial by fire.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    A lot of the "fresh" shrimp sold in grocery stores (Wegman's in this case) is actually previously frozen. They open up a frozen bag and let it thaw on the ice in the case and sell it for a couple of bucks more than the already frozen shrimp. Once that sells, they do it over again.
    Here in Maryland, do you really want "fresh" shrimp that was caught in the gulf waters and sent to a distributor and then to the restaurant/market, what, 5 or 6 days later? They also did a WaPo article on that years ago. A lot of these huge fish companies actually have processing plants right in the belly of the ship, and you are much better off with a frozen piece of fish that was processed and frozen the same day, versus a fresh piece that's 4-5-6 days old. Should you get fresh crabs, soft crabs, oysters, rockfish, other local fish, sure, but when it comes to most stuff out of the area you shouldn't be as concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by tipsymcgee View Post
    Here in Maryland, do you really want "fresh" shrimp that was caught in the gulf waters and sent to a distributor and then to the restaurant/market, what, 5 or 6 days later? They also did a WaPo article on that years ago. A lot of these huge fish companies actually have processing plants right in the belly of the ship, and you are much better off with a frozen piece of fish that was processed and frozen the same day, versus a fresh piece that's 4-5-6 days old. Should you get fresh crabs, soft crabs, oysters, rockfish, other local fish, sure, but when it comes to most stuff out of the area you shouldn't be as concerned.
    This was in Virginia, but I get what you are saying and agree. Flash frozen is better than days or a week old.
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    This was in Virginia, but I get what you are saying and agree. Flash frozen is better than days or a week old.
    I guess if it's really cold out, a flasher will be frozen in no time.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    I guess if it's really cold out, a flasher will be frozen in no time.
    Is that what happened to you?

"It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Members who have read this thread: 129