Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Broomes Island Stoney's

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    A lot of the "fresh" shrimp sold in grocery stores (Wegman's in this case) is actually previously frozen. They open up a frozen bag and let it thaw on the ice in the case and sell it for a couple of bucks more than the already frozen shrimp. Once that sells, they do it over again.
    That makes sense. We're under the impression it's fresh. One grocery I know of does the same with meat. It comes to them frozen, their meat department packages it up. So it's been frozen, defrosted. We buy it and take it home and put it in the freezer again. No wonder nothing has any taste anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    That makes sense. We're under the impression it's fresh. One grocery I know of does the same with meat. It comes to them frozen, their meat department packages it up. So it's been frozen, defrosted. We buy it and take it home and put it in the freezer again. No wonder nothing has any taste anymore.
    I've been trying to buy more local and organic meats. It makes a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    I've been trying to buy more local and organic meats. It makes a difference.
    Sure does!
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Quote Originally Posted by tipsymcgee View Post
    Here in Maryland, do you really want "fresh" shrimp that was caught in the gulf waters and sent to a distributor and then to the restaurant/market, what, 5 or 6 days later? They also did a WaPo article on that years ago. A lot of these huge fish companies actually have processing plants right in the belly of the ship, and you are much better off with a frozen piece of fish that was processed and frozen the same day, versus a fresh piece that's 4-5-6 days old. Should you get fresh crabs, soft crabs, oysters, rockfish, other local fish, sure, but when it comes to most stuff out of the area you shouldn't be as concerned.
    Never thought of it that way, but I'm sure now my steamed shrimp has been frozen. Yes, I'd rather it be frozen during shipment now that I think about it. Same with the fish. I guess the only way it's truly "fresh" is if you or someone you know actually caught the fish that day and you made it at home. Now there is no comparison to taste when it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by tipsymcgee View Post
    Here in Maryland, do you really want "fresh" shrimp that was caught in the gulf waters and sent to a distributor and then to the restaurant/market, what, 5 or 6 days later? They also did a WaPo article on that years ago. A lot of these huge fish companies actually have processing plants right in the belly of the ship, and you are much better off with a frozen piece of fish that was processed and frozen the same day, versus a fresh piece that's 4-5-6 days old. Should you get fresh crabs, soft crabs, oysters, rockfish, other local fish, sure, but when it comes to most stuff out of the area you shouldn't be as concerned.
    Most of the fish that Foxhound eats is local to where we are. Florida, Maryland, South Carolina, etc.

Flash frozen shrimp is one thing, but that pre-breaded frozen shrimp is ghastly. :blech:
    Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    That makes him a hoot and 3/4!

I guess karma does eventually come back around, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    Mostt of the fish that Foxhound eats is local to where we are. Florida, Maryland, South Carolina, etc.

Flash frozen shrimp is one thing, but that pre-breaded frozen shrimp is ghastly. :blech:
    There are only two kinds of shrimp.....frozen and rotting.

Registered User OldHillcrestGuy's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Bann;5891691]Even Jerry's doesn't use Maryland crabs for his crabcakes, from what I've read about his restaurant. However, I believe they're fresh made and not frozen pre-made/processed.
    QUOTE]

I believe Jerry's crab meat comes from Venezuela. Might be fresh if its Friday, through Sunday, but some of the seafood is frozen after close of business on Sunday and used again when they reopen on Thursday. I have heard this is a common practice at some restaurants that close on Sundays and might not reopen for a couple or several days. Since hearing this Im not going to some place like Jerry's on a Thursday after being closed for 3 days, I'll wait till Saturday or Sunday when the fresher seafood arrives.

I know this is a Stoneys thread, not a seafood thread . I am not a rich man but I insist on quality . I buy crab meat from one seafood shop, pay a little more, and it pays off.

Members who have read this thread: 129