Broomes Island Stoney's

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

From the Calvert Recorder:
Mortgage foreclosure sale of this property on 6/29 at the Calvert County courthouse.

Not just that one. Also her flagship, Stoney's Kingfishers on da island man. Seems to owe north of $2,900,000. Seems she's in quite a pickle, now don't it?

limblips

It's Trumps fault!!!! Just saving Tranny, Sappy, et al some time. Sad though. I have to believe that had they stayed with what was working things would be different. Stoney's Broome's Island was a destination but the expansion restaurants were just a restaurant and not the places locals were going to flock to. I remember taking the boat from Tongue Cove to Stoney's and having a great meal and tons of fun. It was faster by boat than driving and a much more enjoyable trip. We would just putt home enjoying the night on the river.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I heard about this yesterday. Bummer. Also, as an FYI, Kingfishers hasn't been affiliated with Stoney's for at least a year or more.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We used to go to the Broome's Island Stoney's location quite a bit and liked it very much. 'Til one time we were there and we watched one of the staff walking pretty fast from one of the out buildings over to the kitchen...with boxed, frozen breaded shrimp. :ohwell: It lost a lot of it's luster for FH and we stopped going as a choice, unless it was a group of friends or family going.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Considering one of the owners is being investigated for arson; and has not made a lot of friends because of allegations of being in the Sheriff's pocket, they may have lost some clientele because of that.
Just rumors, I know, but there are a few people out there that don't appreciate pushy people that break the rules to get their own way.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Considering one of the owners is being investigated for arson; and has not made a lot of friends because of allegations of being in the Sheriff's pocket, they may have lost some clientele because of that.
Just rumors, I know, but there are a few people out there that don't appreciate pushy people that break the rules to get their own way.

I thought that was put to rest and it was found to be "accidental". Either way, their restaurants have really gone downhill. We went to Clarkes Landing a week or so ago and again, it was meh. We had to ask ourselves why we even bother go there anymore, other than the view. :ohwell:

glhs837

Power with Control
I thought that was put to rest and it was found to be "accidental". Either way, their restaurants have really gone downhill. We went to Clarkes Landing a week or so ago and again, it was meh. We had to ask ourselves why we even bother go there anymore, other than the view. :ohwell:

Last time we went, I loved my rockfish bites. Wife was less happy with her crabcake. and the service was off. Coworker who used to be a regular there has stopped going, she's been so unhappy with the service and quality has dropped off.

luvmygdaughters

Daughters and I met there for lunch about a year ago. Food was lousy, service sucked. Great location, but, the prices for lousy food and service isnt worth it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Last time we went, I loved my rockfish bites. Wife was less happy with her crabcake. and the service was off. Coworker who used to be a regular there has stopped going, she's been so unhappy with the service and quality has dropped off.
I do like those!

Daughters and I met there for lunch about a year ago. Food was lousy, service sucked. Great location, but, the prices for lousy food and service isnt worth it.

It's a bummer, because it is close to home for us. I used to go there all the time when Nick & Rusty ran it, prior to opening the Lighthouse. It's such an expected disappointment anymore.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I was thinking about what it used to be. Amazing food, terrific service, excellent location. It's definitely gone downhill over the last few years.

Back in 1995, I was going to approach the owner of Stoney's to see if he was interested in leasing/operating the restaurant I'd just bought in Piney Point. Because their reputation was really something back then and I wanted somebody good. Ended up leasing it to the two guys that ran House of Ribs in Charlotte Hall instead...and that arrangement never really went anywhere before Hurricane Fran squashed all of our plans in fall of '96.

Sad to hear they've lost their edge...but you see it happen everywhere eventually.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I heard about this yesterday. Bummer. Also, as an FYI, Kingfishers hasn't been affiliated with Stoney's for at least a year or more.

That may be so. They leased the building to their chef and he took over the business. But the Stoney's still own the building, well, at least until the foreclose date anyway.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If I may ...

That may be so. They leased the building to their chef and he took over the business. But the Stoney's still own the building, well, at least until the foreclose date anyway.

They refused to honor a Stoney's gift certificate.