Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Bastrop, TX

Blog Entries
    It's currently 63 degrees. Quite a bit chillier than yesterday's 80 plus degree temps. Our campground had a cozy Halloween pot luck. The campground provided pasta, sauces and sausage. There were tasty salads, Vrai's amazing deviled eggs and awesome desserts. There are at least 3 families with small children living here. 1 of the families homeschools their kids. The rest ride the bus to the local schools.

The owner stated that he thought about 65% of the campground people were permanent. We find that at quite a few places where we roam. In the Florida Keys, not so much. Probably due to the cost. In the last 2 campgrounds we stayed at in Texas, there are quite a few homesteaders. I'm finding more people full timing and many more homesteading once they find a place they like. There is a concern because at some point finding decent places to stay may become an issue. Texas rates are less than half of what they charge in most places in Florida. The Texas weather isn't too bad in the winter. Summers can be hotter than blazes though.

Our current location in Texas has a bunch of state parks, golf courses, quaint towns, seasonal festivals and other things to occupy tourists. Many of the parks have fishing, which is a bonus for me. Austin is a 30 mile drive in case we want to do big city things. There are a lot worse places we could light for a month.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, if I were going to live full time in a campground - which is something we're definitely considering after I've seen everything I need to see - I'd go with a tiny house or a park model. The advantage of living in a motorhome is the "motor" part. It's a vehicle you live in. As in, you go places. The tiny homes and park models are more like houses and more comfortable.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Yesterday we ventured over to Smithville, TX. There claim to fame is the movie Hope Floats was filmed there. I never saw the film, so I don't have a point of reference. Smithville has a small downtown and that is about it. It looks like at one time in history the railroad played an important part of the town. The place could use a little sprucing up. As far as tourists are concerned, there isn't really a draw there. I'm sure the local chamber of commerce would disagree.

Then since we were already out we road around the local state park. St. Andrews State Park in Panama City Beach, FL is the standard which we compare all other parks to. This one is your standard park with a couple of camping loops, rental rustic cabins overlooking the lake, hiking trails, scenic overlooks, fishing, and assorted rental pavilions. Exiting the park the ride back to Bastrop was more scenery than development. We remarked that the few homes we did see, were well off the beaten path. If you are neighbor adverse, those homes would make you very happy.

Locally we shopped in the Hispanic market. The gringos were in the minority in that shop. I got a hunk of fresh chicharon, a pastry and a croissant. Vrai got some hispanic chips and some candies. Then we hiked over to the cantina for tacos and tamales. The tamale was a bit dry but the taco made up for it. They have a fixin bar. I asked if the sauce was hot. I got a Oh Yeah reply. I skipped that stuff. I had the roasted looking sauce that was spicy but tolerable for my delicate palate.

Speaking of hispanic markets, they have a beverage that I only see down here. Topo Chico. Topo in italian means rat. Chico was what we called the hispanic kid in high school. His given name was Hernan, which I never heard before. So I wasn't sure what it was. I got 1 to try. It reminds me of Perrier water. Fizzy water. They have a few flavors along with just plain ole fizzy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	112796-18795_d.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	125660

We finished our evening off by listening to the band at Neighbors bar. Then strolled around downtown. There were several venues offering live music. Next weekend is a car show and Veteran's weekend. The town should be jumping.

The river is finally receding. The entire playground is now visible. The last 2 days have exposed a lot of the land that was submerged since we arrived over a week ago. Of course it rained again last night, but it wasn't much. Just enough to keep the temperature low.

Today we ventured out a lot further. La Grange was our final destination. It's a county seat of a bordering county. They have a proper town square with a courthouse. Lots of local businesses, several of which were closed on a Sunday. Fans of the movie Best Little Whorehouse in Texas will recognize the Chicken Ranch, which the movie is based on. It's the local house if ill repute that didn't close until 1973. The visitor's center has an entire exhibit of various newspaper clippings of the ranch. Vrai was eyeing 1 of the Chicken Ranch souvenir T shirts. I was hoping she would by it. Speaking of T shirts, she wore 1 of her Nebraska T shirts today. People will always come up to her when she wears it. 1 guy offered up condolences on the cornhuskers losing their football game yesterday.

There is a big lake just outside of La Grange that looks like it might be a good fishing hole. I'll have to do some research and see if I can add it to my fishing spot list.

I'll upload some pictures later.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    Speaking of T shirts, she wore 1 of her Nebraska T shirts today. People will always come up to her when she wears it. 1 guy offered up condolences on the cornhuskers losing their football game yesterday.
    Ugh, I'm such a fake Husker. Considering life stops on Saturday for my whole entire family during football season, you'd think I'd be more into it. But knowing that whenever I wear one of my GBR shirts someone will want to come talk football with me, Monello keeps me abreast of things so I can sound like I know what the hell I'm talking about.

My aunts get their nails done with Husker art - I'm not making that up.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Another thing about Texas. Gas stations. They have Buc-ees. For the uninitiated it's like a micro SOB without the fireworks. Think Sheets/WaWa on steroids. You walk in and there is food, drink, adult drinks, clothing, jewelry, home decor like marble cutting boards and wind chimes. They have a fudge station, right next to the BBQ station. If that doesn't interest you then they will make you a sandwich. No time for that, then grab a kolache. They have both sweet & savory. There's a jerky department along with summer sausages and smoked cheeses. Need a ginormous charcoal grill, no problem, they have you covered. Is your deer feeder low on grain? They have pallets of deer corn and even have a dolly to help you drag it to the check out counter. 44 ounce fountain drinks are 79, 20 pound bags of ice are 99. They often have over 60 gas pumps. They are suppose to open 1 in Florida in the near future. On your way to see Mickey, stop on by.

A Texas gas station is where I had an armadillo egg, a piece of cheese stuffed into a jalapeno pepper wrapped in a pounded chicken tenderloin, rolled up then breaded and deep fried. Many places in central Texas will have a taqueria inside. In the AM they offer breakfast tacos and for lunch they offer up a standard mexican lunch to grab on the go. For some strange reason the help often has a hard time comprehending English.

Today both our stops had bakeries inside them. The 2nd place had a busy staff pumping out all sorts of kolaches and sweets. The cinnamon rolls were as big as George Foreman's fists. I often wonder if they were to open a similar place in a different state would the concept catch on.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Blog Entries
    At one of these gas station bakeries I got a rice krispie bar with chopped pecans mixed in it. Let me tell you, that is the way to go. Forget the Fruity Pebbles - chopped pecans FTW.

La Grange was cute - a small dusty town with big wide streets downtown, filled with antique shops and kitschy gift stores. The focal point is their courthouse, which is somewhat medieval looking and magnificent. DID YOU KNOW: the first time ZZ Top performed "La Grange" in La Grange was at the Fayette County Fair on....September 5, 2015. (A-haw haw haw haw...)

The motorhome is in the process of getting an interior makeover. I need pretty things around me again. I slipcovered the chair in kind of a medium dusky blue, and the sofa got a light tan suede covering. I need a new rug and a couple of new throw pillows and we should be good to go. The hideous original upholstery looks much better as an accent rather than having it be all over everything.

Bastrop is one of those obscure places that nobody's ever heard of and is easily overlooked when it comes to travel planning. This is a mistake. It has a lot to offer - visitation-wise and livability - plus it's about a half hour from Austin if you find yourself needing big city ick for some reason. We're finding that a lot of these small to mid-size towns are the stars of the show. You can go to their festivals and events without rubbing elbows and jockeying for parking with thousands of other people; low to no crime; easy to get around; friendly people; community pride.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    I dropped the boat in a local lake last week.

Name:  DSCF9716.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  29.5 KB

Long story short, I had 1 fish in 2 hours of flogging the water. It wasn't very big, so I didn't even take a picture. I circumnavigated the entire 25 acre lake. When I got back around to the boat ramp, I decided to try and troll a bit. I tossed 2 lines out the back of the boat and rowed.

Name:  DSCF9715.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  32.7 KB

And my luck changed. I caught a fish. Much bigger than the first 1 I caught. Then a 3rd which was bigger than the 2nd. I felt if I kept going, I might catch the elusive 10 pounder.

Name:  DSCF9711.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  DSCF9714.JPG
Size:  27.4 KB

Then I got 1 of the line and while netting it, I had a 2nd fish hit the other line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9724.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	125731  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Y’all sure get enough Omega-3! Happy fishing, and safe travels.

Blog Entries
    So as I was saying, I bite turned on. I got 11 more fish in the next 2 hours. The fish were decent size. Misfit would have been jealous.
    Name:  DSCF9713.JPG
Size:  37.3 KB

I get the boat back to the ramp. I start to put my gear away. There is a commotion along the bank. Bass are busting baitfish along the bank. I grab my pole and make a few casts from the shore. I managed to catch 4 more fish in about 10 minutes.

Name:  DSCF9721.JPG
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  DSCF9722.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  31.0 KB

In hindsight I should have kept casting. I left when the bite was hot. I went back to this lake yesterday. I didn't get 1 bit in about 2 1/2 hours on the water. What a difference a few days makes.

Right now it pouring down rain. The weather people tell us the temperature is going to drop about 25 degrees. We aren't looking forward to 50 degree temps. All day today we had the screen door open. Hopefully the weather straightens out before the weekend arrives.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    Y’all sure get enough Omega-3! Happy fishing, and safe travels.
    I don't keep any of those fish. I might occasionally keep a saltwater fish.

And we persevere to be safe. Or at least we try.
    War = Peace
    Freedom = Slavery
    Diversity = Strength

Members who have read this thread: 51