Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Bastrop, TX

Blog Entries

Greetings from Bastrop, TX

Oh my gosh!

CUTEST TOWN IN TEXAS!!!

I thought maybe I was just so excited because I was coming off of Beaumont, but no. First of all, our campground is really cute and our site is amazing. That always sets a tone. After setting up we went for a swim and got into a conversation with another pool person, who suggested a bunch of places to eat (he lives here full time). Pizza sounded good, so we rolled downtown....

Oh my gosh!!!

The most Main Street USA you've ever seen. They're all dressed up for 4th of July (!) with bunting and patriotic touches (!), but even nekkid you can tell it's still adorable. Historic looking, but not in a cheesy way. We went to Neighbor's Kitchen and Yard. It's tucked back in an alley with other cute shops and stuff to do, rustic and charming. That's aside from Main St, with it's super cute shops and what have you. In the next couple of days we'll sightsee and take a bunch of pics so you can see.

A week is not going to be long enough. Bastrop is definitely going on my retirement short list. It's reasonably close to my grandkids, too, so that's a plus. And our campground is about a half mile from Buc-ee's, and I can't think of anything better than that.

I'm so excited!!!
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    I love a state that takes pride in itself. Texas flies their flag like crazy, and I love that. Pride. So then you get these little towns that do it up right and they just boast their asses off, and rightfully so. It irritates me to see a town that could be so much, and they just piss it away.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Prior to leaving Beaumont, I wanted to go fishing one more time. Since the rains stopped, the lake has been a little less stained. I was hoping that would help me catch a few of the bigger fish in the lake. I got 5 fish in about an hour then packed it in.

We got most of the camp broken down on Saturday evening, so that when we got up Sunday there wouldn't be a lot left to do. Sunday's get out of town was uneventful but it was pretty hot considering it was still morning. The debate concerned our route and if it was prudent to go through Houston or take the beltway. I chose to go right through instead of adding miles going the long way. In the end Houston traffic on a Sunday wasn't that bad. The sucky parts are all the random construction with their lane changes and lane shrinking Jersey walls.

I stayed on I10 longer than what the GPS recommended. It was going to put me on secondary roads and I wasn't sure what to expect. My route added about 15 more miles but I avoided 18 more miles of county roads. The first county road was deserted. I had the road to myself. I meandered through farm and horse country. The next road was a bit more traveled. I went through a few half horse towns. Then once I closed in on Bastrop, my destination, I spotted a Buc-ee's billboard. It said Buc-ee's ahead 1 mile. Bonus. I didn't know they had 1 of those down this way. It's the ultimate convenience store. For example the one they plan on building in Florida will have 120 gas pumps. It's that big. You get worn out walking from the parking lot to the store.

Pulling into the camp, we were assigned a nice level spot. This is probably the longest site we've had. We have plenty of room and are just 3 sites away from the Colorado river. It's quite warm here also, so after setting up we hopped in the pool to cool off. We got a few recommendations on what to see and where to eat. The town of Bastrop is quite charming. There are over 100 buildings in the National Historical Registry. The downtown section makes you feel like you've been transported back in time. I can't wait to go exploring more in depth. Photos to follow.
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    I do this #### all day long, deal with freaks and wackjobs - BM

Veterans before illegals

Blog Entries
    The Crossings on the Colorado River in Bastrop, TX
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5956.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	123358

Name:	DSCN5959.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	123359

Name:	DSCN5960.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	123360

Name:	DSCN5973.jpg 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	123361

Name:	DSCN5937.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	123362

Veterans before illegals

Blog Entries
    Main street Bastrop

Name:	DSCN5922.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	123363

Name:	DSCN5925.jpg 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	123364

Name:	DSCN5950.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	123365

Name:	DSCN5951.jpg 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	123366

Name:	DSCN5921.jpg 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	123367

Veterans before illegals

Blog Entries
    Various Bastrop shots

Name:	DSCN5931.jpg 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	123368

Name:	DSCN5920.jpg 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	123369

Name:	DSCN5990.jpg 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	123370

Name:	DSCN5988.jpg 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	123371

Fitties BBQ

Name:	DSCN5997.jpg 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	123372

Veterans before illegals

Blog Entries
    Today we went into downtown Bastrop and walked around, then went down by the river. The Crossing, pictured above, is a little enclave of cozy shops and what have you. We had drinks at Neighbors, which is our Bastrop place, then went next door to Copper Shot, which is a whiskey/moonshine distillery and bar. Monello had a moonshine flight and I had a Pecan Moonshine (!) drink, and we sat out on the porch so I could smoke a Maduro.

After, we went to Fitties for BBQ. Had ribs and brisket, with dirty rice and pintos. It's a shack with outdoor seating only, very charming, great Q. I'll post pics so you can see it.

I love it here and don't want to leave.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Today we went into downtown Bastrop and walked around, then went down by the river. The Crossing, pictured above, is a little enclave of cozy shops and what have you. We had drinks at Neighbors, which is our Bastrop place, then went next door to Copper Shot, which is a whiskey/moonshine distillery and bar. Monello had a moonshine flight and I had a Pecan Moonshine (!) drink, and we sat out on the porch so I could smoke a Maduro.

After, we went to Fitties for BBQ. Had ribs and brisket, with dirty rice and pintos. It's a shack with outdoor seating only, very charming, great Q. I'll post pics so you can see it.

I love it here and don't want to leave.
    none of my yoga pants have ever been to yoga.

Looks like a charming little town. America needs more of these.
    Je suis prest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    Looks like a charming little town. America needs more of these.
    Agree. Monello and I are enormous fans of charming little towns and seek them out in our travels. It hurts my heart to see what used to be a thriving town that has fallen into crime and neglect. Paterson, NJ comes to mind.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Members who have read this thread: 36