Tariffs sure are protecting American jobs

JustACitizen

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/h...ng-2200-to-average-motorcycle-cost-2018-06-25

The company said it plans to shift production of EU-bound motorcycles to international facilities from U.S. facilities to avoid the tariff burden. That plan would involve increased investment and could take at least nine to 18 months to complete. The EU tariffs, effective June 22, were imposed in response to tariffs the U.S. imposed on steel and aluminum imports from the EU. Harley-Davidson's stock had dropped 13% year to date through Friday, while the S&P 500

So. Much. Winning.

#MAGA

glhs837

Power with Control
Harley has been struggling for quite a while now. This seems like a convenient excuse for something they have been wanting to do for a while now.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Harley has been struggling for quite a while now. This seems like a convenient excuse for something they have been wanting to do for a while now.

Not sure if that will help HD prices in Norway, since they are not part of the EU, but a new Harley FLHTC in Norway can run ya 80 grand. Lots of countries have huge import tariffs and duties on certain things.

transporter

Are you just making an assumption of jobs that will be lost at HD?

Would help if you read the post...this is the FIRST SENTENCE:

The company said it plans to shift production of EU-bound motorcycles to international facilities from U.S. facilities to avoid the tariff burden.

BTW...Chinese firms will do the same thing to avoid the steel tariffs....they will shift US bound production to factories located outside of China.

Trump is a buffoon...so are his advisors (Navaro and Ross)...everything that has happened so far has been entirely predictable. Trump's tariffs will have little impact on our imports...Trump's tariffs will push our allies to look to Chinese markets for their goods...Trump is making China stronger and the US weaker. The guy is incompetent.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Trump is a buffoon ... so are his advisors (Navaro and Ross) ... everything that has happened so far has been entirely predictable.

well if you are so damn smart, why aren't you President

btw who is this 'true' Scotsman you voted for in 2016

Every post you make is against anyone or any group that doesn't conform to your propagandist viewpoints.

You Were Saying .... You Miserable Git

:blahblah:

Sapidus

Can you imagine how hard it must be to keep coming up with excuses for the presidents dumb behavior and decisions?

Just look at the growth of the deficit.

No matter what happens these people will keep supporting Trump even if he picks their pockets and forecloses on their houses himself. They are too far gone to reason with

SamSpade

If tariffs are so universally and completely bad - why does everyone else make such great use of them?

Shouldn't the rest of the world have been suffering and losing jobs and business?

This_person

If tariffs are so universally and completely bad - why does everyone else make such great use of them?

Shouldn't the rest of the world have been suffering and losing jobs and business?

No, we Americans have been willing to pay the price.

It's all a wash anyway. A Harley buyer (or any other big bike buyer) will spend between $25 and $30 thousand on a bike, then invest another $5-10 thousand on accessories. If a mere $2K stops someone from buying they didn't really want one to begin with. I myself bought the Sling for $25K and have invested at least (so far) $8K in accessories. And I ain't done yet...

And wasn't it our leftist folks here that said $2K was such an insignificant amount a few months ago, when such an insignificant increase in pay or tax return was an idle gesture?

SamSpade

No, we Americans have been willing to pay the price.

It seems to me the only upside of tariffs is if they force the other nation to come to the table and consider free trade.
Their effectiveness depends on if they hurt a nation enough to consider it.

I've been listening to Mark Levin go on about them - it's his opinion that whether you have them or don't,
they're of no consequence in any way - and since they end up being a TAX on a nation's own people, it's probably
not worth having them in the first place. If people don't want the product in the first place - say, Americans buying
Peruvian anchovies - it's not going to hurt the other nation. Germans don't really want to buy American cars - because
they'd rather buy German ones. Russians and Chinese would like to buy American cars (although most American cars
in China are BUILT there and not subject to tariffs).

I think, ideally, free trade should be the goal - but how do you bring a nation to the table to do that?
Can you say, sorry, no trade - and hurt yourself? Can you threaten tariffs - and they don't blink?

This_person

It seems to me the only upside of tariffs is if they force the other nation to come to the table and consider free trade.
Their effectiveness depends on if they hurt a nation enough to consider it.

I've been listening to Mark Levin go on about them - it's his opinion that whether you have them or don't,
they're of no consequence in any way - and since they end up being a TAX on a nation's own people, it's probably
not worth having them in the first place. If people don't want the product in the first place - say, Americans buying
Peruvian anchovies - it's not going to hurt the other nation. Germans don't really want to buy American cars - because
they'd rather buy German ones. Russians and Chinese would like to buy American cars (although most American cars
in China are BUILT there and not subject to tariffs).

I think, ideally, free trade should be the goal - but how do you bring a nation to the table to do that?
Can you say, sorry, no trade - and hurt yourself? Can you threaten tariffs - and they don't blink?

I think we send our treasure out a lot more than others send theirs to us. While the Canadian dairy tax is probably an outlier in its size, I do not think it an outlier in concept - it is protectionist to the originating country. We have sent most of our money overseas vs. them buying from us because they already have the tariffs, and we simply pay the price in lack of ability to protect, and buy their products which are not equally taxed here.

If we were to simply provide the same tariff on goods as the other country has on us, they will scream bloody murder at how unfair we are. It's "unfair" because it levels the playing field, and we all know it is up to the United States to be a financial supplier, a good customer who does not shop around much and just accepts the status quo.

These attempts appear to do exactly as you suggest - get the other country to the bargaining table to try and fix the problem.

What most other countries seem to forget is that we buy more than we sell, meaning that it hurts them much worse than it hurts us to try and be equals. It appears this is an attempt to remind people of that.