Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Its beginning to look alot like Waldorf..

Quote Originally Posted by NorthBeachPerso View Post
    I wish to point out that all the rural pioneers who moved to Calvert starting in the 1980s demanded all these "amenities". Survey after survey of residents said that more restaurants, stores, etc. were needed. Look at even today, Home Depot, which won't come here nor will Lowe's, is the Holy Grail for many.

Add to that the fact that Calvert was one of the poorest Counties in Maryland until CCNPP was built, with one of the worst school systems (still better than Prince George's, though), the desire of the ruling families to make money from their properties, among other things, and you get what you have today.
    ^this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV814 View Post
    For my fellow Calvertonians...feel free to add verse...

(sung to the tune of "Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas")

Its beginning to look a lot like Waldorf...
    Every where you go.....

There's some fast food joints on Route 4
    expansion for many more

The Mexican kind
    with neon lights that blind....

Its beginning to look a lot like Waldorf...
    used cars by the hundreds

but the prettiest sight you'll see
    is the store selling grocerieeeeees

with a Starbucks to go....
    and its Huntingtown, don't you know.....

thank you, thank you, no, really!!!
    That was awesome!
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

I wish to point out that all the rural pioneers who moved to Calvert starting in the 1980s demanded all these "amenities". Survey after survey of residents said that more restaurants, stores, etc. were needed. Look at even today, Home Depot, which won't come here nor will Lowe's, is the Holy Grail for many.

Add to that the fact that Calvert was one of the poorest Counties in Maryland until CCNPP was built, with one of the worst school systems (still better than Prince George's, though), the desire of the ruling families to make money from their properties, among other things, and you get what you have today.
    Don't forget. And now Dominion. You are so correct about the ruling families though. Such as the Glasscocks, Weems, Goldsteins, Trumans, and so many more. Greed, back room deals, favoritism, special treatments, etc. from these families have made Calvert what it is today.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

One of the big draws back then also was the piggyback tax for Calvert county was 20% versus 50% in St. Mary's and Charles. Once the bridge opened in 1977, the landscape of Calvert changed drastically as people flooded in for cheaper taxes and lower home prices.

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    When I accompanied my wife down here in late August 2012 to start the job at NAVAIR, drove around a bit.
    Decided then that fighting the traffic was not worth living across the bridge from the job.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Quote Originally Posted by nutz View Post
    Waldorf had the same footprint as Columbia and the planning (political handouts) began in 1965.
    It's been downhill since Reb's closed..
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    You have a psychiatric disorder. Get help.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Such a classy place

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    OMG! "Ol Reb's Bar and Grill. Knew some lovely ladies that worked there. Much much better place than Choo Choo's lounge. Clyde had the best place. And if you wanted crabs, just walk to the other end of the building to Ted's Seafood. Fresh steamed crabs cooked in large steam kettle pots while you wait. Or, super fresh crab meat from the ladies upstairs picked and packed daily. Those were the days. Regulation has ruined everything.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

OMG! "Ol Reb's Bar and Grill. Knew some lovely ladies that worked there. Much much better place than Choo Choo's lounge. Clyde had the best place. And if you wanted crabs, just walk to the other end of the building to Ted's Seafood. Fresh steamed crabs cooked in large steam kettle pots while you wait. Or, super fresh crab meat from the ladies upstairs picked and packed daily. Those were the days. Regulation has ruined everything.
    Isn't this the place that was set on fire?

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by mitzi View Post
    Isn't this the place that was set on fire?
    Well, there is a lingering question about that day. Some say intentional, others not. I'm inclined that it was accidental in nature.

Members who have read this thread: 122