Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Its beginning to look alot like Waldorf..

Quote Originally Posted by acommondisaster View Post
    Y'all wanted the box stores, the SuperWalmarts, the chain restaurants....celebrated them opening right here in these forums. Well, you got what you asked for. And everything that goes with it, including the vagrants, the robberies and the rampant drug use and the traffic. I had a college professor who used to scoff when people said progress was inevitable - he'd always say "Progress towards what?"
    This bears repeating every single time an opportunity to do so comes up.
    I liked Calvert County better when there were only two stoplights.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthBeachPerso View Post
    This bears repeating every single time an opportunity to do so comes up.
    Exactly. Heck..people still jump up and down and cheer every time yet another commercial site is developed and the tenants announced.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Exactly. Heck..people still jump up and down and cheer every time yet another commercial site is developed and the tenants announced.
    I'm from Away (as some of us say of Newcomers back in New England), however, I'm not in the "Hoo Ray, More Disneyfication of the County" crowd.
    I prefer to see the character of the place to which I moved, not outside imposition.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    I'm from Away (as some of us say of Newcomers back in New England), however, I'm not in the "Hoo Ray, More Disneyfication of the County" crowd.
    I prefer to see the character of the place to which I moved, not outside imposition.
    The "character of this place" that I last recall most fondly started disappearing pretty rapidly back in the 1980s. The demise of the drive-through liquor window with mixed drinks available sorta punctuated the end of the good era..LOL

I will say that I don't miss all the dirt roads though...get my pride and joy all washed and waxed back in the mid 70s and it would be a dusty mess before I arrived where I was going.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    The "character of this place" that I last recall most fondly started disappearing pretty rapidly back in the 1980s. The demise of the drive-through liquor window with mixed drinks available sorta punctuated the end of the good era..LOL

I will say that I don't miss all the dirt roads though...get my pride and joy all washed and waxed back in the mid 70s and it would be a dusty mess before I arrived where I was going.
    Duke's Bar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Duke's Bar!
    Pop used to mix the best Tom Collins, ever! It was like a liquid Sweet Tart...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry...

#AryanLivesMatterMost

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    So you're pretty much a fountain of useless stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    Duke's Bar!
    T's Cove!

I still order Bloody Mary's from Rick at TT "with wheels on it"...but I'm only going as far as the dock where my boat is slipped. But the meaning has not changed. ;-)

I moved here in 82. I do miss how it was. I was excited when the McKay's in Charlotte Hall was being built so I didn't have to grocery shop in Waldorf on my home from work lol. I rode by where I lived when I moved here in 82 just the other day. The large corn field that was on the other side of my road is now, you guessed it, a housing development and has been for quite awhile now. I loved looking out across that corn field and the deer everywhere.

I have been here off and on since 1973, not a fan of what has been developed since.
    No more splitting Uranium for fun and profit, retirement is cool so far....

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I have been here off and on since 1973, not a fan of what has been developed since.
    That was the great part about the years we lived near Trent Hall, two new homes were built. One on New Market Turner and one down Trent Hall.
    Most decent tracts are in the preservation programs.
    No one cares.

Members who have read this thread: 122