Its beginning to look alot like Waldorf..

GregV814

For my fellow Calvertonians...feel free to add verse...

(sung to the tune of "Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas")

Its beginning to look a lot like Waldorf...
Every where you go.....

There's some fast food joints on Route 4
expansion for many more

The Mexican kind
with neon lights that blind....

used cars by the hundreds

but the prettiest sight you'll see
is the store selling grocerieeeeees

with a Starbucks to go....
and its Huntingtown, don't you know.....

thank you, thank you, no, really!!!

vince77

Every where you go.....

expansion for many more

The Mexican kind

this is exactly what was predicted 20 years ago. No surprise here. Will all 3 counties be merged into Waldorfia?

Kinnakeet

I really don’t think there is an escape from it all, until the USA is put back on Her ‘foundation’.

IF WE DO NOT STOP THE INTRUSION OF FOREIGN PEOPLES INTO THIS COUNTRY WE WILL SOON RUN OUT OF ROOM AND THEN WHAT WILL THEY PASS LAWS TO LET PEOPLE BUILD HOMES IN NATIONAL PARKS,FORREST...ETC..ETC:patriot::patriot:

nutz

this is exactly what was predicted 20 years ago. No surprise here. Will all 3 counties be merged into Waldorfia?

Waldorf had the same footprint as Columbia and the planning (political handouts) began in 1965.

nutz

Every where you go.....

expansion for many more

The Mexican kind

Empty, littered strip malls for all and for all don't go out after dark.

littlelady

God bless the USA

Every where you go.....

expansion for many more

The Mexican kind

Your sense of humor is, always, fun to read, but this topic is not funny. We lived in Calvert for 20 years, but moved a year and a half ago. My first visit to a grocery there was I think the name was Super Fresh, where Green Turtle is now. When I told the older man that was checking me out that we just moved here..he said ‘where did you come from, how many did you bring with you, and when are you going back to where you came from’. :lol: Calvert is a beautiful place. I am sad to see it changing. We left it just as we found it. I miss living on my 5 wooded acres near the water. The run off from Longs Cove was the creek that ran through
our yard that fed into Cypress Swamp. We found lots of fossils. Miss you, Calvert.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I wish to point out that all the rural pioneers who moved to Calvert starting in the 1980s demanded all these "amenities". Survey after survey of residents said that more restaurants, stores, etc. were needed. Look at even today, Home Depot, which won't come here nor will Lowe's, is the Holy Grail for many.

Add to that the fact that Calvert was one of the poorest Counties in Maryland until CCNPP was built, with one of the worst school systems (still better than Prince George's, though), the desire of the ruling families to make money from their properties, among other things, and you get what you have today.

Hank

my war
I wish to point out that all the rural pioneers who moved to Calvert starting in the 1980s demanded all these "amenities". Survey after survey of residents said that more restaurants, stores, etc. were needed. Look at even today, Home Depot, which won't come here nor will Lowe's, is the Holy Grail for many.

Add to that the fact that Calvert was one of the poorest Counties in Maryland until CCNPP was built, with one of the worst school systems (still better than Prince George's, though), the desire of the ruling families to make money from their properties, among other things, and you get what you have today.

^this

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Every where you go.....

expansion for many more

The Mexican kind

That was awesome! :lol:

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Don't forget. And now Dominion. You are so correct about the ruling families though. Such as the Glasscocks, Weems, Goldsteins, Trumans, and so many more. Greed, back room deals, favoritism, special treatments, etc. from these families have made Calvert what it is today.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

One of the big draws back then also was the piggyback tax for Calvert county was 20% versus 50% in St. Mary's and Charles. Once the bridge opened in 1977, the landscape of Calvert changed drastically as people flooded in for cheaper taxes and lower home prices.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When I accompanied my wife down here in late August 2012 to start the job at NAVAIR, drove around a bit.
Decided then that fighting the traffic was not worth living across the bridge from the job.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It's been downhill since Reb's closed..

OMG! "Ol Reb's Bar and Grill. Knew some lovely ladies that worked there. Much much better place than Choo Choo's lounge. Clyde had the best place. And if you wanted crabs, just walk to the other end of the building to Ted's Seafood. Fresh steamed crabs cooked in large steam kettle pots while you wait. Or, super fresh crab meat from the ladies upstairs picked and packed daily. Those were the days. Regulation has ruined everything.

mitzi

If I may ...

OMG! "Ol Reb's Bar and Grill. Knew some lovely ladies that worked there. Much much better place than Choo Choo's lounge. Clyde had the best place. And if you wanted crabs, just walk to the other end of the building to Ted's Seafood. Fresh steamed crabs cooked in large steam kettle pots while you wait. Or, super fresh crab meat from the ladies upstairs picked and packed daily. Those were the days. Regulation has ruined everything.

Isn't this the place that was set on fire?