Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: They're coming for your abortions

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightrider View Post
    Why would so many elected officials run on an antiabortion platform if they didn’t intend to change the law?

That’s a serious question.
    They don't care about abortion. If their daughter needed one they would get it done two states over. They know there is a constituency that cares and that is why they run on it. It's like democrat millionaires and 'poor people'.

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    The serious answer is: to pander to their constituents.
    And the reality of why is that those constituents actually think abortion is murder and want it outlawed. So it’s not really that outrageous for the left to think this appointment is crucial with regards to abortion.
    "once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"-TGD

And the reality of why is that those constituents actually think abortion is murder and want it outlawed. So it’s not really that outrageous for the left to think this appointment is crucial with regards to abortion.
    Not abortion - elective abortion. Like the difference between immigrant and illegal immigrant, there's an ENORMOUS distinction.

That said, if science and the people believe elective abortion is murder, then why would it be bad to outlaw murder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    I'm sure Trump will be charged with more crimes before Hillary.

Please pin this for future reference

Pinned, as requested.....

Except - it has been possible to overturn Roe v Wade MANY times in my lifetime - and we have had several Presidents who have gone on record as saying - at least minimally - that they are morally opposed to abortion,
    if not politically or otherwise (IIRC - that was Jimmy Carter's stance during the '76 campaign)

And yet - it remains.

Since 1980 - we have had 21 years of Republican Presidents - and a close or conservative court since the mid-80s - and it's just not happening.

But you know - American voters are used to *hearing* promises that are not delivered - I am still waiting, for example for Bill Clinton's middle class tax cut.
    They've all promised to curtail spending, limit the deficit (only Perot intended to wipe it out).

My mom is nearly 80 and she says abortion is the only issue on which she votes - and I just shrug. It has nothing to do with my position on abortion -
    it has to do with the fact that in nearly 50 years, the needle hasn't moved. You might as well vote on sending men to Mars.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Why would so many elected officials run on an antiabortion platform if they didn’t intend to change the law?

That’s a serious question.
    Is it any less acceptable to be against abortion as it is to be for abortion? I'd like to think that most anti-abortion folks are like me... I'm against it but don't want it banned. I'm not going to waste your time with my diatribe on the evil that is abortion; you already know how I feel about it.

I just don't want my taxes funding it, and I don't want a national edict legalizing it. It needs to be addressed at the state level. This would essentially put Planned Parenthood out of business.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Is it any less acceptable to be against abortion as it is to be for abortion? I'd like to think that most anti-abortion folks are like me... I'm against it but don't want it banned. I'm not going to waste your time with my diatribe on the evil that is abortion; you already know how I feel about it.

I just don't want my taxes funding it, and I don't want a national edict legalizing it. It needs to be addressed at the state level. This would essentially put Planned Parenthood out of business.
    My feelings on abortion are starting to change.
    First its' too bad those women who have abortions were not aborted.
    Second abortion is actually aborting the spawn of those women who get abortions which takes us back to first.

Perks: Less welfare , less kids in school, less potential criminals , less taxes ,less child support,
    When you look at it economically it makes sense.

Of course morally it's still murder, but if most of those having abortions had morals they wouldn't need abortions. So that's a wash.
    Then of course there are the few which are easily justified because of rape, incest,birth defects .

The SCOTUS doesn't make decisions based on what constituents want. But you're right, this appointment is crucial. Elections have consequences. We are going to get a more conservative, constructionist justice; and you folks on the left can't do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Since 1980 - we have had 21 years of Republican Presidents - and a close or conservative court since the mid-80s - and it's just not happening.
    I have a friend in Dallas who was a diehard lib(not so much now) back during the 2000 election. When Bush beat Gore, she went nuts about RvW being reversed within a year. I told her I would bet her $20 that not only would it not be reversed but it would still be in place in 2005. She said I was a fool and to make it interesting, make it $500..I said sure thing...on January 5th, 2005, I received a $500 check in the mail..easy money.

Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    My feelings on abortion are starting to change.
    First its' too bad those women who have abortions were not aborted.
    Second abortion is actually aborting the spawn of those women who get abortions which takes us back to first.

Perks: Less welfare , less kids in school, less potential criminals , less taxes ,less child support,
    When you look at it economically it makes sense.

Of course morally it's still murder, but if most of those having abortions had morals they wouldn't need abortions. So that's a wash.
    Then of course there are the few which are easily justified because of rape, incest,birth defects .

Bad spawn or not, the child is innocent of the circumstances. I could never advocate for the destruction of human life just because I believe the parent is going to raise a problem child that society would have to deal with. Too many people have turned their lives around to say they don't deserve to live because of what I think might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Bad spawn or not, the child is innocent of the circumstances. I could never advocate for the destruction of human life just because I believe the parent is going to raise a problem child that society would have to deal with. Too many people have turned their lives around to say they don't deserve to live because of what I think might happen.
    I was being rather factitious in that post.

Here is a Google fact.
    On average, 1,876 black babies are aborted every day in the United States. This incidence of abortion has resulted in a tremendous loss of life. It has been estimated that since 1973 Black women have had about 16 million abortions.
    Now who is advocating genocide.? The KKK, the White Supremacist, or the black women aborting their children. AND
    The Democrat politicians who want them to do it. Pelosi Schumer and the bunch that want Hispanics instead of blacks in this country.

The shame being that blacks themselves cannot see what is being done to them.

Members who have read this thread: 85