Charlotte Hall priest evicts congregation before funeral service

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
The Archdiocese of Washington is issuing a formal letter of apology to the family of a deceased woman whose funeral attendees Wednesday morning were abruptly evicted from a Charlotte Hall Catholic church by the priest, the Rev. Michael Briese, who was to preside over a Mass of Christian Burial.

In a letter shared with The Enterprise, the Rev. Michael Fisher, secretary for ministerial leadership, wrote to the deceased woman’s daughter: “What occurred at Saint Mary’s Parish [Wednesday] morning does not reflect the Catholic Church’s fundamental calling to respect and uplift the God-given dignity of every person nor does that incident represent the pastoral approach the priests of the Archdiocese of Washington commit to undertake every day in their ministry.”

Ed McFadden, a spokesman for the archdiocese, said the incident remains under investigation and that he expects further conversations and developments as the archdiocese continues to investigate.

“By no means should this indicate that we consider the matter closed,” McFadden said.

Between 200 and 300 people were attending the funeral of Agnes Theresa Hicks of Charlotte Hall on Wednesday morning at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Newport in Charlotte Hall.

Hicks’ daughter, Renetta Baker, said that prior to the start of services, she was greeting visitors when one of them accidentally knocked over a ceremonial cup used during Mass for communion, damaging it.

It was empty at the time. She said they initially did not see that the cup had been knocked over.

“One of the ladies [at the church] came out and saw it, and she went back and told him, told Father Michael [Briese],” Baker said. “He came out yelling at me. So I stood up and said we’re going to take care of it after the funeral. Then he went back, then he came to the mic and said ‘There will be no funeral today.’”

“Then he said, y’all get the H-E-L-L out!” added Hicks’ sister, Margaret Holton.

Ed Hill, a funeral attendant for the Briscoe-Tonic Funeral Home, said he tried to defuse the situation.

“I tried to calm him down, asked if I could pray with him, and he told me I need to get out of here, too. He told me ‘You need to get those people out of here, I want all their asses out of here right now,’” Hill said. “He was cursing, he didn’t want prayer, he didn’t want anything.”

http://www.somdnews.com/enterprise/...cle_0d78b499-ca5d-593d-96ec-492f2c5ae6ef.html

Wow :shocking:

Misfit

Lawful neutral
I went to a Catholic Church when I was a boy but all the standing, sitting and kneeling was difficult.

…and that was just during butt sex.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
If I may ...

I'm a wondering if it had something to because those in attendance were black? Since the deceased was as well. Just throwing it out there. Though she seemed to be a very nice woman. https://smnewsnet.com/archives/435859/agnes-theresa-hicks-54/

Really, dude? :duh:

Interesting. Has been there about two years.

I went to a Catholic Church when I was a boy but all the standing, sitting and kneeling was difficult.

…and that was just during butt sex.

:bonk:

I'd be interested to hear the priest's side of this story.

I doubt that will ever happen. I am sure he has been "reassigned" and will never be heard from again around here.

He's a piece of trash. I hope someone pickets his funeral.

Personal knowledge or just reaction to the story?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

NO, they are not mostly Baptist.

Well you better tell Hollywood that. 'Cause all they portray is bible thumping, song and dance jumping, swooning left and right on hearing the lord's name "Praise Jesus" "Praise Jesus" "Praise Jesus". "Praise the Lord" "Amen" "You knows that's right" "Amen". Now Hollywood wouldn't lie, now would they?

mitzi

If I may ...

Well you better tell Hollywood that. 'Cause all they portray is bible thumping, song and dance jumping, swooning left and right on hearing the lord's name "Praise Jesus" "Praise Jesus" "Praise Jesus". "Praise the Lord" "Amen" "You knows that's right" "Amen". Now Hollywood wouldn't lie, now would they?

I think you're confusing this with Penecostal.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I think you're confusing this with Penecostal.

Pentecostal. Protestant. African Methodist Episcopal Church. My point being, it seems quite rare for black folk to be attending a Catholic church let alone having a funeral at one. Not that it doesn't happen, just that it's rare.

officeguy

My point being, it seems quite rare for black folk to be attending a Catholic church let alone having a funeral at one. Not that it doesn't happen, just that it's rare.

You are either not from around here or you haven't been to a ccatholic church in a long time.