Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte Hall priest evicts congregation before funeral service

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    You are either not from around here or you haven't been to a ccatholic church in a long time.

2. 06-30-2018, 03:39 PM

The congregation at the church I go to is about 60/40 white/black. There are a lot more black Catholics than you think.

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    I gave up the Church for Lent in 1975, have not been a Catholic since (left Christianity entirely later that year).
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by mdff21 View Post
    The congregation at the church I go to is about 60/40 white/black. There are a lot more black Catholics than you think.
    Reckon I stand corrected. How about those churches in DC?
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

If I may...

Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    I gave up the Church for Lent in 1975, have not been a Catholic since (left Christianity entirely later that year).
    I'm with you. Gave it all up after turning 18 after having forcefully, mandatorily, grown up in it. Been trying to un-program myself ever since.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by mdff21 View Post
    The structure of the catholic church gives fewer opportunities for self-segregation. While people may drive to get to a congregation they find more welcoming, typically you have one catholic church in each community and that's where people go regardless of skin color. While there are a few 100% black catholic parishes, they are mostly in urban locations where they reflect the makeup of the surrounding community.

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may...

I'm with you. Gave it all up after turning 18 after having forcefully, mandatorily, grown up in it. Been trying to un-program myself ever since.
    I was 18 that year, tipping point was the Jesuit priest who was our guest instructor for CCD the evening of 16 March 1975. His topics, revealed after he chased out our regular instructors so we would not feel inhibited by their presence, reincarnation (including past life recall) and human auras/energy fields (how to feel and direct them). My thoughts, here's an intellectual storm trooper of Holy Mother Church teaching us stuff not in the Catechism...hmmm. what else is the Church not telling me?
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

You are either not from around here or you haven't been to a ccatholic church in a long time.
    That. Plenty of my black neighbors are Catholic down here in 2nd and 9th district.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

I know this will not be popular; However as a non-practicing Catholic, my first question is: What was anyone, let alone a child doing anywhere near the alter. When I was a child I was scared as hell to go anywhere near it.(Pun intended) If I did, I was VERY careful.(Because I feared the wrath of GOD). We don't know what happened right before this. How respectful is it for the family to be in such a sacred area?

Yep. I've lived here most of my life, went to Catholic school & of course church. Many, many black members.

Members who have read this thread: 134