Lowe's in California

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
If there is a worse store in this area, I can't imagine. Made a "quick" trip in there to get a couple of duplicate keys made and pick up a couple of items. By the time I left I was ready to strangle someone. And I am a very mellow and patient person normally.

Wandered around as I hadn't been in the store for a long time, noting where the other things I wanted were located then went to get the keys made. Nobody was behind the counter so I pushed the customer help button to summon someone. Some dude shows up looking none too pleased and I told him I needed two keys made then handed him the two blank keys I picked out and the key to be duplicated. He looked at the keys slowly, examining them closely, then after an uncomfortable silence told me one of the blanks wouldn't work. I waited in another uncomfortable silence until he spit out that I needed 66's and the one was a 68. Okay, I have no idea what the difference is so I dutifully go around the corner to pick out a 66 with him. He grabs one FROM THE SAME PEG that I did and said this is what you need. I said that is EXACTLY where I got the other one and he just rolled his eyes at me.

So he proceeds around the counter and sloooowly fires up sparky to make the keys. More uncomfortable silence as we wait. Hear some noise from sparky and it stops. More silence. He seems to have zoned out and I clear my throat to remind him of the task at hand. He finally inserts the blank pushes a button, and the machine does its magic. He takes it out and examines it closely. Takes the original key out to compare it. Deeper perusal then he picks up a file and works intently on the key. More examination. More filing. Finally done to his sloooow satisfaction. Gets a paper envelope out to put the key in. Lays it on the counter and runs his hand over to flatten it, then opens it and slooowly puts the first duplicate key in. More uncomfortable silence as he contemplates his next move. Lather, rinse, repeat performance with key number two. By now I am looking around to see if Allen Funt is capturing this for Candid Camera.

Key #2 is finally done. Forgets he has a paper bag for the keys already, so I gently remind him. Carefully puts the other bag back. Stares at first bag in a quizzical manner, then picks it up and plops the second key in. Carefully closes the bag and more staring at it. Finally some synapse engages and he picks up a marker, then carefully (and sloooowly) finds the perfect place to write on. Writes a "2" on the bag, then stares some more. Brain cell #2 fires and he then circles the number. Admires his handiwork, satisfied he has executed his duties in his important position as key maker.

Now he remembers the original key. Slooowly pulls it out of sparky and examines it to make sure it wasn't damaged like his brain I suppose. Hands me the key and another uncomfortable silence until I look pointedly at the bag with the two freshly made keys and the perfect 2 in a circle. Brain cell #3 finally fires and he picks up the bag and sloooowly hands it to me. I thank him but he is already back in Lala-land and probably doesn't hear me.

I leave, shaking my head and wander off to get my other items.

To be continued...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Probably another medical marijuana patient.

By the time I left I was ready to strangle someone.

you're above quote is how I feel about every store.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Did you test the keys? Sometimes they can not only screw up the new ones but the original too.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Probably another medical marijuana patient.

No doubt. By the end of our "transaction" I had a few choice nicknames for him. :angel:

you're above quote is how I feel about every store.

And why I do most of my shopping online. :yay:

Did you test the keys? Sometimes they can not only screw up the new ones but the original too.

First thing I did when I got home, believe me! And yes, they all worked.

limblips

Lowes in Norfolk had an air compressor listed for $125.70 It was a Dewalt that I knew was listed in other stores for $609.00. I ordered it. They charged my account (a hold) and I received an email that they were fulfilling my order. Two days later they told me it was a discontinued item and no longer available but they had a comparable unit for $660 and change. Interestingly the same unit is available at a number of stores at the $608.00 price. It is still listed on the Lowes Norfolk website at $125.70 (see link below). I wrote them and got the typical corporate form letter reply. I went to HD and bought my compressor, a new front door and a new garage door and am planning a kitchen remodel. I won't be shopping at Lowes anymore.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-30-...d-71-Decibel-or-Above-Air-Compressor/50410022

MR47930

For anything small I’ll usually go to Sneads in Lusby. As soon as you walk in the door there’s usually a person right there asking if they can help you. Never had a bad experience with and of the workers, I did get some shoddy “premium” grade deck boards from there though.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Some of my co-workers at Lowe's are very special.

Call ahead next time and ask for Steven in Hardware.
If I'm there, I'll try to see that things go better.

Last edited:

willie

After 3 months 24/7 in Montgomery County and not knowing Spanish, Lowe's of California is like Heaven.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
After 3 months 24/7 in Montgomery County and not knowing Spanish, Lowe's of California is like Heaven.

Construction crews must send the newest arrival to the US on errands. I had an hispanic "gentleman" asking to use the restroom the other day. He had to ask myself and a coworker at least 10 times, before we could understand what he was asking. Something as important as that, would be the first English "I" would learn. He was saying something like "rah bahm". At least they could learn to say ####ter. SMDH

ginwoman

but don't you see???? It's not their responsibility to learn English....it's our responsibility to learn Spanish....sheesh :sarcasm:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I had just barely settled in to the new jacuzzi tub with a nice glass of chardonnay when a guy approached wearing a blue apron and angrily demanded "Sir!!...we're going to have to ask you to put your clothes back on and leave the store immediately!"

Last time I ever went to Lowes.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I had just barely settled in to the new jacuzzi tub with a nice glass of chardonnay when a guy approached wearing a blue apron and angrily demanded "Sir!!...we're going to have to ask you to put your clothes back on and leave the store immediately!"

Some people just don't seem to have a sense of humor. Or, maybe the store has a no alcohol policy?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Originally Posted by softtouch
"It's been a few years ago, but the last time I got a key duplicated there it was a self operated machine."

That is a franchise that rents space in the store.
It has a limited selection and if there is a problem, you have to call their customer service number.
Lowe's cannot help you on that.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron

Nice trick, since Lowe's has never had blue aprons. :lmao:

...and hasn't had display tubs with water since the Legionnaire's Disease scare over 30 years ago.

PeoplesElbow

I saw a kid take a #### in one of the display toilets once at a True Value hardware, the aftermath of what to do was glorious.