Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Opinion wanted: driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Grindelwald View Post
    It's supposed to be a right turn lane, not a merge lane.
    So say you.
    Quote Originally Posted by kom526 View Post
    Dear Baby Jesus lying in a crib in Bethlehem,
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
    So say you.
    Yeah and the DOT...

Yeah and the DOT...
    I'll wait to see when I get ticketed and report back.
    I thank your divine intervention that I was not drinking anything when I read this post.

I'll wait to see when I get ticketed and report back.
    Okay, I'll report back. I got ticketed for using a shoulder lane when not using it to turn immediately (in another state, but same laws). Our neighborhood has been the subject of at least three State Police enforcements of shoulder driving laws, and many dozens of people were ticketed each of those three days. Your opinion is interesting, but not relevant to the law.

5. 07-06-2018, 02:21 AM

It's supposed to be a right turn lane, not a merge lane.
    Except the intersections on 235 of Millstone Landing Rd., Rue Purchase Rd. and Expedition Dr. all have islands that channel you onto the right turn lane of 235, thus requiring you to use the right turn lane as an acceleration lane to merge into traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenhawk View Post
    Okay, I'll report back. I got ticketed for using a shoulder lane when not using it to turn immediately (in another state, but same laws). Our neighborhood has been the subject of at least three State Police enforcements of shoulder driving laws, and many dozens of people were ticketed each of those three days. Your opinion is interesting, but not relevant to the law.
    Shoulder lane?? We are talking about the right turn lane of Rt 235 which has signs posted stating: "Right lane must turn right at signal", not right lane must turn right immediately upon entering right lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Shoulder lane?? We are talking about the right turn lane of Rt 235 which has signs posted stating: "Right lane must turn right at signal", not right lane must turn right immediately upon entering right lane.
    People can and do turn right into business parking lots and such using these lanes. Again Iím not familiar with the area, I had to look at street view, but there are turnoffs along the lane before the traffic light.

People can and do turn right into business parking lots and such using these lanes. Again I’m not familiar with the area, I had to look at street view, but there are turnoffs along the lane before the traffic light.
    Surely I'm not the only one to feel nervous turning into the Longhorn/Potbelly/Sweetfrog center, where people riding the 235 NB shoulder lane ASSume you are going to continue flying along at 55 until the turn onto Rt 4...

Okay, at rush hour, I get it - "law" and "practical" don't work well together. But when there's no 1/2 mile line waiting to turn onto Rt 4, I don't enter the turn lane until I'm past the Longhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenhawk View Post
    Surely I'm not the only one to feel nervous turning into the Longhorn/Potbelly/Sweetfrog center, where people riding the 235 NB shoulder lane ASSume you are going to continue flying along at 55 until the turn onto Rt 4... Okay, at rush hour, I get it - "law" and "practical" don't work well together. But when there's no 1/2 mile line waiting to turn onto Rt 4, I don't enter the turn lane until I'm past the Longhorn.
    Are you one of those guys that jumps into the right turn lane at the last minute? If so, how rude.

Are you one of those guys that jumps into the right turn lane at the last minute? If so, how rude.
    Reread my post - as I said, "when there's no 1/2 mile line waiting to turn onto Rt 4, I don't enter the turn lane until I'm past the Longhorn."

Yes, it's rude when there's a long line. It's not strictly legal, but it's how people drive. But when there is NOT a line, it's more dangerous to run that lane, and I wait to enter, even if it looks like I'm making a last-minute entrance from the point of view of those drivers who mindlessly still ride it from Walmart north.

Members who have read this thread: 118