Opinion wanted: driving.

hitchicken

I'm in the right lane of Town Creek Drive intending to turn right onto 235. 235 traffic is between moderate to heavy. I'm waiting for a break in the traffic when a guy behind me (for less than 10 secs) blows his horn. In my rearview, he is hand gesturing a 'right turn' obviously wanting me to turn onto the shoulder lane to 'merge' with the traffic flow. I hesitate to do this because (1) I think it's illegal to use the shoulder as a merge lane and if someone pulls right into me, it will be partially my fault and (2) there is a popular daycare center on the right just a hundred feet or so from the intersection: lots of traffic pulls right onto the shoulder to turn into this business... often with children in the car.

What do you think? Or know? What's lawful, right, correct or safest to do?

I admit to turning in my seat and making multiple offensive finger gestures at the horn-blower (which I regretted doing - not my style) and waiting until an opening in traffic before turning anyway.

PeoplesElbow

Pretty much anyone demanding you turn right on red during traffic is an ass. How old was this guy?

If there was zero traffic and he had been sitting there longer it would be understandable, not warranted but understandable.

F-him.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Make the turn when you think it is safe to do so, screw the impatient bastard behind you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The shoulder is not a merge lane, and the guy behind you should be on a watchlist. But think of it this way: if he's taking out his inappropriate aggression by honking at you, you maybe saved his wife and kids a beating.

black dog

Free America
Spool up that turbo and Roll some Coal..
[video=youtube_share;_gcb84qn3mU]https://youtu.be/_gcb84qn3mU[/video]

Sounds like it's the same guy that was behind me at that same intersection doing the same thing. He was going berserk because I wouldn't pull out (yeah, yeah..... that's what she said...). Too bad he couldn't see the car in front of me that was waiting on traffic. Laws of physics.... no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time in the same universe.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If you're looking for the law the Transportation Article 21-202(k) seems to be controlling.
21-202(k) said:
Steady red indication -- Yielding right-of-way to certain pedestrians. -- In each instance, vehicular traffic described in subsections (i) and (j) of this section shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian or bicycle lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard.

BOP

Sounds like it's the same guy that was behind me at that same intersection doing the same thing. He was going berserk because I wouldn't pull out (yeah, yeah..... that's what she said...). Too bad he couldn't see the car in front of me that was waiting on traffic. Laws of physics.... no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time in the same universe.

In southern Maryland, no other objects shall occupy the space I want to occupy with my over-priced sh*t-mobile.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'd wait until the light turned green, then, wait an additional 10 seconds, visibly turning my head looking both ways, before proceeding slowly into the travel lane. Then, absent mod to heavy traffic flow, get up to lane speed at a snails pace.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

I'd wait until the light turned green, then, wait an additional 10 seconds, visibly turning my head looking both ways, before proceeding slowly into the travel lane. Then, absent mod to heavy traffic flow, get up to lane speed at a snails pace.

Life's too short for that. The second that light turns green or I have an opening, the jerk behind me ceases to exist.

Goldenhawk

I was in the right lane on Great Mills Road waiting to cross 235 into the base. It's not a turn-only lane, but I had some lady behind me who apparently couldn't read the signs. Was absolutely wigging out, yelling and cursing and gesturing and honking because someone in front of her wasn't getting out of her way fast enough - without stopping to think that maybe I just wasn't going to turn. Some people are just not rational. Gotta start singing that Disney song, "Let it go"...

PsyOps

Pixelated
I figure if they're that bitchy, life already sucks for them. No need for me to make it worse.

So, like so many other people you loathe, you don't think these people should be executed or sterilized because of their bad behavior?

gemma_rae

I'm in the right lane of Town Creek Drive intending to turn right onto 235. 235 traffic is between moderate to heavy. I'm waiting for a break in the traffic when a guy behind me (for less than 10 secs) blows his horn. In my rearview, he is hand gesturing a 'right turn' obviously wanting me to turn onto the shoulder lane to 'merge' with the traffic flow. I hesitate to do this because (1) I think it's illegal to use the shoulder as a merge lane and if someone pulls right into me, it will be partially my fault and (2) there is a popular daycare center on the right just a hundred feet or so from the intersection: lots of traffic pulls right onto the shoulder to turn into this business... often with children in the car.

What do you think? Or know? What's lawful, right, correct or safest to do?

I admit to turning in my seat and making multiple offensive finger gestures at the horn-blower (which I regretted doing - not my style) and waiting until an opening in traffic before turning anyway.

:yay: You are trying to merge into a lane of travel. The shoulder is not a lane of travel.

PeoplesElbow

I was in the right lane on Great Mills Road waiting to cross 235 into the base. It's not a turn-only lane, but I had some lady behind me who apparently couldn't read the signs. Was absolutely wigging out, yelling and cursing and gesturing and honking because someone in front of her wasn't getting out of her way fast enough - without stopping to think that maybe I just wasn't going to turn. Some people are just not rational. Gotta start singing that Disney song, "Let it go"...

I've had that exact same thing happen.

About 20 years ago didn't it use to be a right turn only lane?

Not familiar with the area and had to look it up on Google street view. That was not a shoulder but a right turn lane. Guy had no business honking at you to make a right turn on red. Highly dangerous, and probably illegal as well. Screw the honker.

Smith

There is no shoulder on 235 at Town Creek Drive. It is a travel lane designated for right turn before the next intersection, and as such can be used to merge with traffic on 235 when possible. The previous intersections on 235 of Millstone Landing Rd., Rue Purchase Rd. and Expedition Dr. all have islands that channel you onto the right turn only lane of 235 where you can then merge into the through lanes of 235.