Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion wanted: driving.

Opinion wanted: driving.

I'm in the right lane of Town Creek Drive intending to turn right onto 235. 235 traffic is between moderate to heavy. I'm waiting for a break in the traffic when a guy behind me (for less than 10 secs) blows his horn. In my rearview, he is hand gesturing a 'right turn' obviously wanting me to turn onto the shoulder lane to 'merge' with the traffic flow. I hesitate to do this because (1) I think it's illegal to use the shoulder as a merge lane and if someone pulls right into me, it will be partially my fault and (2) there is a popular daycare center on the right just a hundred feet or so from the intersection: lots of traffic pulls right onto the shoulder to turn into this business... often with children in the car.

What do you think? Or know? What's lawful, right, correct or safest to do?

I admit to turning in my seat and making multiple offensive finger gestures at the horn-blower (which I regretted doing - not my style) and waiting until an opening in traffic before turning anyway.

Pretty much anyone demanding you turn right on red during traffic is an ass. How old was this guy?

If there was zero traffic and he had been sitting there longer it would be understandable, not warranted but understandable.

F-him.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Make the turn when you think it is safe to do so, screw the impatient bastard behind you.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Blog Entries
    The shoulder is not a merge lane, and the guy behind you should be on a watchlist. But think of it this way: if he's taking out his inappropriate aggression by honking at you, you maybe saved his wife and kids a beating.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Spool up that turbo and Roll some Coal..
    No one cares.

Sounds like it's the same guy that was behind me at that same intersection doing the same thing. He was going berserk because I wouldn't pull out (yeah, yeah..... that's what she said...). Too bad he couldn't see the car in front of me that was waiting on traffic. Laws of physics.... no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time in the same universe.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

If you're looking for the law the Transportation Article 21-202(k) seems to be controlling.
    Quote Originally Posted by 21-202(k)
    Steady red indication -- Yielding right-of-way to certain pedestrians. -- In each instance, vehicular traffic described in subsections (i) and (j) of this section shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian or bicycle lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Sounds like it's the same guy that was behind me at that same intersection doing the same thing. He was going berserk because I wouldn't pull out (yeah, yeah..... that's what she said...). Too bad he couldn't see the car in front of me that was waiting on traffic. Laws of physics.... no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time in the same universe.
    In southern Maryland, no other objects shall occupy the space I want to occupy with my over-priced sh*t-mobile.
    I think it's awesome that the progs are losing their hivemind over the farts of a teenager. - Vrai

Quote Originally Posted by BOP View Post
    In southern Maryland, no other objects shall occupy the space I want to occupy with my over-priced sh*t-mobile.
    Be careful out there, sha-BOP.

If I may ...

I'd wait until the light turned green, then, wait an additional 10 seconds, visibly turning my head looking both ways, before proceeding slowly into the travel lane. Then, absent mod to heavy traffic flow, get up to lane speed at a snails pace.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Members who have read this thread: 118