arranged and secured in every part;
surely he would not bring to fruition my salvation
and grant me my every desire.
6 But evil men are all to be cast aside like thorns,
which are not gathered with the hand.
7 Whoever touches thorns
uses a tool of iron or the shaft of a spear;
they are burned up where they lie.”​

"Grant me my every desire".... I once heard a preacher use verse 5 for a bunch of sermons.... and in every one of them... that preacher has perverted Salvation. He just didn't get the notice.... desires change once you meet God. So since I've started out by taking on an anonymous preacher first thing... I'm going to GodVine.org for a breakdown by verse.

These be the last words of David - I suppose the last poetical composition is here intended. He might have spoken many words after these in prose, but none in verse.

The Spirit of the Lord spake by me - Hence the matter of his writing came by direct and immediate inspiration.

His word was in my tongue - Hence the words of this writing were as directly inspired as the matter.

Although my house ... - The sense of this clause (according to the the King James Version) will be that David comparing the actual state of his family and kingdom during the later years of trouble and disaster with the prophetic description of the prosperity of the righteous king, and seeing how far it falls short, comforts himself by the terms of God's covenant 2 Samuel 7:12-16 and looks forward to Messiah's kingdom. The latter clause, "although he make it not to grow," must then mean that, although at the present time the glory of his house was not made to grow, yet all his salvation and all his desire was made sure in the covenant which would be fulfilled in due time. But most modern commentators understand both clauses as follows: "Is not my house so with God that He has made with me an everlasting covenant," etc.? "For all my salvation and all my desire, will He not cause it to spring up?" namely, in the kingdom of Solomon, and still more fully in the kingdom of Christ.

But the sons of Belial shall be all of them as thorns - There is no word in the text for sons; it is simply Belial, the good-for-nothing man, and may here refer - first to Saul, and secondly to the enemies of our Lord.

As thorns thrust away - A metaphor taken from hedging; the workman thrusts the thorns aside either with his bill or hand, protected by his impenetrable mitten or glove, till, getting a fair blow at the roots, he cuts them all down. The man is fenced with iron, and the handle of his bill is like the staff of a spear. This is a good representation of the dubbing-bill, with which they slash the thorn hedge on each side before they level the tops by the pruning-shears. The handle is five or six feet long. This is a perfectly natural and intelligible image.

23:7 Fenced - He must arm himself with some iron weapon, whereby he may cut them down; or, with the staff of a spear, or some such thing, whereby he may thrust them away from himself, that they do him no hurt. Burnt - Or, if they do not cut them down or thrust them away they will burn and consume them. The place - Or, in their place, where they grow or stand.​

That preacher sputters that same message to people all the time. That preacher and others like him... stands at the pulpit or in front of the camera.... he reads the verses.... then he looks up and claims...... "See....God wants you to have every hearts desire.... " Maybe he even thumps the book during some of these self serving sermons. So many of my wealthier friends thump on that verse as well. Some even say "Who am I to turn down all the riches God wants me to have."

IMHO.... Verse 5 hangs up so many people. It gets taken out of context so often, IMHO, it's right up there with "Jesus wept".

David loved God. David stood up when Goliath was poking fun of God's people. David took the time to find out what God wanted him to do before going into battle. He also took the time to listen to what God wanted him to do and what God didn't want him to do. David messed up. He should never have taken Bathsheba and he definitely shouldn't have arranged the death of Uriah to cover it up. David wanted to build a place for God. God stopped him, but he'll let David's son do it. David's wants and desires were God centered. Just about everything David wanted.... was based on what God wanted.

So.... to the preacher(s) who prey on the wealthy to fill the church coffers... I would remind them what Jesus said about wealth....

Matthew 19:24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”​

God wants us all to have our heart's desire.... and what would an adopted Child of God really want? Some time with their Father.... right?

Boy I'm preachy this morning....

:coffee:

Last edited: