Thread: flood of buybacks

flood of buybacks

Companies announced $433.6 billion in share repurchases during the period, nearly doubling the previous record of $242.1 billion in the first quarter, according to market research firm TrimTabs.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/02/corp...et-afloat.html

Now who would have ever suspected that companies would give their tax cuts and repatriated money to their stock owners??? Who would have ever suggested such a travesty could occur?

Anyone (Gilligan) who thought the companies would pour that money into worker raises and corporate expansion were 1. wrong and 2. don't understand much about large multinationals (which are the companies who got the biggest windfalls).

I don't mind my almost 17% dividend payout this quarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

I do believe that with many large corporations the largest stock holders are the employees. Those still working and retired.
    No one cares.

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/02/corp...et-afloat.html

Now who would have ever suspected that companies would give their tax cuts and repatriated money to their stock owners??? Who would have ever suggested such a travesty could occur?

Anyone (Gilligan) who thought the companies would pour that money into worker raises and corporate expansion were 1. wrong and 2. don't understand much about large multinationals (which are the companies who got the biggest windfalls).
    Why is this bad? You've brought it up before and never gave an answer to that question. What is wrong with a company buying back their stock and taking back control of their future?
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Awesome!!! Thanks TJ!
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

I don’t think Tranny has a 401K......so she doesn’t know the benefit from that.....
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas.....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Beers at Krakken bar with Bird Dog. For all of you who wondered, he's normal. :jet:

Buybacks are a good sign, it means the businesses think that they are doing better than their stock price indicates. It means things are going better on main street than wall street, and that is a good thing.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Buybacks are a good sign, it means the businesses think that they are doing better than their stock price indicates. It means things are going better on main street than wall street, and that is a good thing.
    Not in Tranny's world.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Buybacks are a good sign ....
    I was always told it was a bad thing, companies don't know what else to do with their money
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    I was always told it was a bad thing, companies don't know what else to do with their money
    How can companies having enough money that they don't know what to do with it be a bad thing? Having the money in the first place means things are going good.

They simply don't start buybacks because they have cash that they simply don't have anything else to do with, they do it because they consider their stock a good value.

The folks that consider buybacks bad are the ones that chase growth and only growth.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Members who have read this thread: 48