2 Samuel 23 Three good men

seekeroftruth

2 Samuel 23:8 These are the names of David’s mighty warriors:

Josheb-Basshebeth,[a] a Tahkemonite,(b) was chief of the Three; he raised his spear against eight hundred men, whom he killed[c] in one encounter.

9 Next to him was Eleazar son of Dodai the Ahohite. As one of the three mighty warriors, he was with David when they taunted the Philistines gathered at Pas Dammim[d] for battle. Then the Israelites retreated, 10 but Eleazar stood his ground and struck down the Philistines till his hand grew tired and froze to the sword. The Lord brought about a great victory that day. The troops returned to Eleazar, but only to strip the dead.

11 Next to him was Shammah son of Agee the Hararite. When the Philistines banded together at a place where there was a field full of lentils, Israel’s troops fled from them. 12 But Shammah took his stand in the middle of the field. He defended it and struck the Philistines down, and the Lord brought about a great victory.​

a. 2 Samuel 23:8 Hebrew; some Septuagint manuscripts suggest Ish-Bosheth, that is, Esh-Baal (see also 1 Chron. 11:11 Jashobeam).
b. 2 Samuel 23:8 Probably a variant of Hakmonite (see 1 Chron. 11:11)
c. 2 Samuel 23:8 Some Septuagint manuscripts (see also 1 Chron. 11:11); Hebrew and other Septuagint manuscripts Three; it was Adino the Eznite who killed eight hundred men
d. 2 Samuel 23:9 See 1 Chron. 11:13; Hebrew gathered there

Just a note here..... I noticed Joab wasn't on this list. I don't think David liked Joab personally. Maybe that's why he didn't count him as one of the top three soldiers even though Joab was the top general in David's army. I think the blueletterbible.org site has the most concise lessons this morning.

These are the names of the mighty men: David was nothing without his mighty men, and they were nothing without him. He was their leader, but a leader is nothing without followers - and David had the mighty men to follow him. These men didn't necessarily start as mighty men; many were some of the distressed, indebted, and discontent people who followed David at Adullam Cave (1 Samuel 22:1-2).

Adino the Eznite: This leader among David's mighty men was noted for having killed eight hundred men at one time.

"THREE hundred is the reading in Chronicles, and seems to be the true one."​

Eleazar the son of Dodo: This leader of David's mighty men was famous for hanging with David in a famous battle and when his hand was weary, and his hand stuck to the sword. Through his tenacity the LORD brought about a great victory that day.​

Shammah the son of Agee the Hararite: This leader among David's mighty men stationed himself in the middle of field when others fled and he held the ground single-handedly until the LORD brought about a great victory.

These are men who didn't give up.

Sure... there's a discrepancy in how many hundreds of men Adono the Eznite killed. I have to say... this man killed hundreds of people... I've never met anyone who has single handedly killed hundreds of men... have you? Based on the TV movies I've seen.... a man who has killed even one hundred men without an AK, tank, or bomber.... is amazing.

It says Eleazar's hand froze to his sword. Does that mean they were fighting in freezing temperatures and his hand and the sword became a frozen block of ice or does it mean he was holding that sword, fighting for so long, that the muscles in his hand were cramped around the sword and had to be pulled off? I have been through that.... carried something for so long my fingers got stiff.... hasn't everyone.... still that's a long time to carry a sword.... that is amazing....

And I guess I should mention Shammah.... who held his ground. He stationed himself when others fled. I can imagine him... he had a sword so he had to stand to fight.... he was able to sling that sword enough to hold his ground... those swords had to grow heavy as the battle went on.

These were David's cream of the crop.

:coffee: