Differential Upgrade 4x4

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Want to do a differential upgrade from 3.55 to 4.10 on an F150.. just got my first estimate which was more than twice what I expected.. $3400. Looking for more reasonable prices.. or somebody convince me I can do it myself

black dog

Free America
Want to do a differential upgrade from 3.55 to 4.10 on an F150.. just got my first estimate which was more than twice what I expected.. $3400. Looking for more reasonable prices.. or somebody convince me I can do it myself

Unless you are familiar with setting up ring and pinions I would suggest paying someone who does know how it is done.
You could look for used matching differentials in the ratio you are looking for.

Myself I would consider doing a chip change or other mild hp upgrades before I changed gear ratios or swapped differentials.
I would consider selling and buying what you want also.

And have you ever driven a truck with a 410 gear ratio on the highway?

Years ago I drove a 75 Chevy one ton, three on the tree with a 410 posi rear.
It never drove by a Amoco or Sunoco station without stopping, and in inclement weather if you go out of the throttle to fast the rearend wanted to swap with the front end. Not bad at 30 mph, but having it get stupid at highway speeds wasn't enjoyable at all.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm running 4.10s in three of my trucks right now...the two that are on only 35" and 37" diameter tires have OD transmissions. The one on 40" tires is running a straight 4-speed. One I sold recently was also on 40's , with 4.88 gears.

I do all my own engine, trans and dif building. The only reputable place I would have trusted in the old days was Driveline, over on Rt 4 just off 235. But all their gurus have left a long time ago. Bob, what year truck?

Oh..and I do know one guy that might...I say might...take that on. He's very talented but also my age about half-retired at least.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm running 4.10s in three of my trucks right now...the two that are on only 35" and 37" diameter tires have OD transmissions. The one on 40" tires is running a straight 4-speed. One I sold recently was also on 40's , with 4.88 gears.

I do all my own engine, trans and dif building. The only reputable place I would have trusted in the old days was Driveline, over on Rt 4 just off 235. But all their gurus have left a long time ago. Bob, what year truck?

Oh..and I do know one guy that might...I say might...take that on. He's very talented but also my age about half-retired at least.

One of a few things I want to do, but this is the first step

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

One of a few things I want to do, but this is the first step

Phew! That's not an easy one...definitely requires a lift and lots of man hours. Front especially. That price isn't so high at all if it includes all parts.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
What route did you got with? My buddy got a 2012 project he wants to turn into a weekend toy. We installed the new rack, roll-n-lock cover and railings for kayak mount. He wants to fit 35" on it.

We went a different route altogether and bought a new truck, a Ford F250 diesel.

He got a truck, and...well, ......I got nothing.

WAIT! We both got a new 5th wheel RV.