Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Differential Upgrade 4x4

  1. #1
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    41,090
    Blog Entries
    1

    Differential Upgrade 4x4

    Want to do a differential upgrade from 3.55 to 4.10 on an F150.. just got my first estimate which was more than twice what I expected.. $3400. Looking for more reasonable prices.. or somebody convince me I can do it myself
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  2. #2
    Registered User b23hqb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Posts
    11,091
    I'd ask Gilligan.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

  3. #3
    What are you looking to gain? Just curious.
    Being a left-handed conservative is tough. When somebody calls me a lefty I want to punch them.

  4. #4
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    41,090
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by limblips View Post
    What are you looking to gain? Just curious.
    Have much bigger tires so working on getting the torque back (and some gains) to tow a 5rh wheel.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    Want to do a differential upgrade from 3.55 to 4.10 on an F150.. just got my first estimate which was more than twice what I expected.. $3400. Looking for more reasonable prices.. or somebody convince me I can do it myself
    Unless you are familiar with setting up ring and pinions I would suggest paying someone who does know how it is done.
    You could look for used matching differentials in the ratio you are looking for.

    Myself I would consider doing a chip change or other mild hp upgrades before I changed gear ratios or swapped differentials.
    I would consider selling and buying what you want also.

    And have you ever driven a truck with a 410 gear ratio on the highway?

    Years ago I drove a 75 Chevy one ton, three on the tree with a 410 posi rear.
    It never drove by a Amoco or Sunoco station without stopping, and in inclement weather if you go out of the throttle to fast the rearend wanted to swap with the front end. Not bad at 30 mph, but having it get stupid at highway speeds wasn't enjoyable at all.
    No one cares.

  6. #6
    I'm running 4.10s in three of my trucks right now...the two that are on only 35" and 37" diameter tires have OD transmissions. The one on 40" tires is running a straight 4-speed. One I sold recently was also on 40's , with 4.88 gears.

    I do all my own engine, trans and dif building. The only reputable place I would have trusted in the old days was Driveline, over on Rt 4 just off 235. But all their gurus have left a long time ago. Bob, what year truck?

    Oh..and I do know one guy that might...I say might...take that on. He's very talented but also my age about half-retired at least.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 07-07-2018 at 12:14 PM.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

  7. #7
    I bowl overhand itsbob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Patuxent, Maryland, United States
    Posts
    41,090
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I'm running 4.10s in three of my trucks right now...the two that are on only 35" and 37" diameter tires have OD transmissions. The one on 40" tires is running a straight 4-speed. One I sold recently was also on 40's , with 4.88 gears.

    I do all my own engine, trans and dif building. The only reputable place I would have trusted in the old days was Driveline, over on Rt 4 just off 235. But all their gurus have left a long time ago. Bob, what year truck?

    Oh..and I do know one guy that might...I say might...take that on. He's very talented but also my age about half-retired at least.
    2013

    One of a few things I want to do, but this is the first step
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    2013

    One of a few things I want to do, but this is the first step
    Phew! That's not an easy one...definitely requires a lift and lots of man hours. Front especially. That price isn't so high at all if it includes all parts.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    2013

    One of a few things I want to do, but this is the first step
    What route did you got with? My buddy got a 2012 project he wants to turn into a weekend toy. We installed the new rack, roll-n-lock cover and railings for kayak mount. He wants to fit 35" on it.

  10. #10
    I am so very blessed BadGirl's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Happyville
    Posts
    15,392
    Quote Originally Posted by dSpencer View Post
    What route did you got with? My buddy got a 2012 project he wants to turn into a weekend toy. We installed the new rack, roll-n-lock cover and railings for kayak mount. He wants to fit 35" on it.
    We went a different route altogether and bought a new truck, a Ford F250 diesel.

    He got a truck, and...well, ......I got nothing.

    WAIT! We both got a new 5th wheel RV.
    .

    I like to be right.

    Everyone's entitled to my opinion.

    If you don't have anything nice to say to someone, then you need to STFU.

Members who have read this thread: 38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |