Racism or hoax?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/0...cist-note-in-hotel-room-businessman-says.html

An African-American millionaire and his Manhattan consultant son were victims of a July 4th hate crime in their hotel room during a Florida vacation.

A racist creep apparently snuck into Frank and Michael Davis’ room at the upscale Art Ovation Hotel in Sarasota and left a 2-by-5 post-it note reading, “You’re a N—-R.”

My biggest concern would be how someone "snuck into" my hotel room, not what they wrote on a Post-It.

Midnightrider

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/07/0...cist-note-in-hotel-room-businessman-says.html

My biggest concern would be how someone "snuck into" my hotel room, not what they wrote on a Post-It.
I would imagine that was his bigger concern and that’s why he called the police.

Lots of employees at hotels have access to the room keys or have a master key, but you would think an upscale hotel would also have cameras in the halls and monitors in the locks. It shouldn’t be too hard to track down who did it

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would imagine that was his bigger concern and that’s why he called the police.

First, you would surely call hotel security, then they check the cameras and call in the police. This is a nice hotel, not some Motel 6.

Lots of employees at hotels have access to the room keys or have a master key, but you would think an upscale hotel would also have cameras in the halls and monitors in the locks. It shouldn’t be too hard to track down who did it

I really hope this guy or his son didn't do it themselves, which is what I suspect happened. I'm sure housekeeping is getting a major grilling over this and it's not right to put them through that over a BLM hoax.

Hijinx

First, you would surely call hotel security, then they check the cameras and call in the police. This is a nice hotel, not some Motel 6.

I really hope this guy or his son didn't do it themselves, which is what I suspect happened. I'm sure housekeeping is getting a major grilling over this and it's not right to put them through that over a BLM hoax.

Why would someone write you are a nagger. and leave it there on a post-it note. Sounds phony to me.

Midnightrider

I would imagine the police have already figured out if it was a hoax or not. At the very least I would think they have it narrowed down to the guest or one other person. It really shouldn’t be that hard unless they had a parade of staff through the room while he was gone

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Calling BS on this one. First, a check of corridor video to rule out employee access. Second, a check of key card access to determine any employee access. Third, hand writing analysis against those immigrant employees and this guy and his son. Forth, out of all the black folk staying at this hotel, only he is left a note? Fifth, a millionaire staying at an up to $200 a night place? Really? Sixth, guy is advertising for business saying if you don't do business with me now you are a racist.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why would someone write you are a nagger. and leave it there on a post-it note. Sounds phony to me.

Because they're jerks?

It sounds phony to me, too, because:

They'd have had to know the occupants of the room were black.
They'd have had to have access to the room, since there was no sign of forcible entry.
This tells me it would have to be housekeeping, except...
The housekeeping staff is almost certainly Hispanic and black, and female.
It seems unlikely a black or Hispanic woman would do something like this.
And if they did, they'd have had to know they'd be caught.
Unless it was another hotel employee, in which case they too would have to know they'd be caught.
Not to mention it's unlikely this man is the only black hotel guest. Did all black guests get a nastygram? If not, why just this guy?

When you walk it through, the most likely conclusion is that Mr. Davis wrote the note himself in an effort to #metooBLMstyle.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I didn't even think about that. 2-second check would tell you exactly who accessed his room and at what time.
Most hotel key card access won't tell you anything except that an authorized entry was made at a particular time. They don't actually read back to a centralized controller.

Midnightrider

Same thing

Yeah, that’s one hell of a scam. Get your points refunded at the beginning of your trip and have to go to another hotel...... seems logical :sarcasm:

BTW, Marriott allows you to cancel your reservation up to 24 hours prior. Most of them still allow ‘day of’ cancelations. So the guy would have gotten his points back if he had just checked out. I’m not seeing any windfall there. The guy ended up going to another hotel brand and presumably paying out of pocket.

PeoplesElbow

Yeah, that’s one hell of a scam. Get your points refunded at the beginning of your trip and have to go to another hotel...... seems logical :sarcasm:

BTW, Marriott allows you to cancel your reservation up to 24 hours prior. Most of them still allow ‘day of’ cancelations. So the guy would have gotten his points back if he had just checked out. I’m not seeing any windfall there. The guy ended up going to another hotel brand and presumably paying out of pocket.

How far in his stay was he? The son said they had tipped good, so it obviously wasn't their first day.

It wouldn't be about the cost of the room, money or points anyway except from a small minded scammer.