Calvert Animal Control Meeting

frequentflier

happy to be living
The Calvert County Department of Public Safety announces the Animal Matters Hearing Board will hold a public meeting Wednesday, July 11, to consider and receive comments on a proposal to revise the Calvert County Animal Control Ordinance. The meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. in the Calvert Pines Senior Center auditorium located at 450 W. Dares Beach Road in Prince Frederick.
The proposed revisions are only to the dangerous and prohibited animals section of the ordinance and include more frequent check-ups for known dangerous animals and the addition of a list to address potentially dangerous animals in Calvert County. Several revisions will be recommended during the meeting and public comment is encouraged.
Citizens can view the dangerous and prohibited animals section of the Calvert County Animal Control Ordinance online or request a paper copy from the Department of Public Safety located at 315 Stafford Road in Barstow. Individuals who cannot attend the public hearing may submit written comments. Written comments must be received by 4:30 p.m., July 10, 2018, and may be submitted by emailing Patricia.Helms@calvertcountymd.gov or through the U.S. mail to the Department of Public Safety, 175 Main St., Prince Frederick, MD, 20678, Attn: Department of Public Safety, Animal Matters Hearing Board.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The Animal Matters Hearing Board has heard cases of dogs being on the dangerous dog list; whether to keep them on or take them off. I attended three of these meetings and agreed with the findings in all the cases they heard.

The members of this Board have been tasked with reviewing the Animal Control Ordinances for "dangerous" dogs and I hope they will strengthen them. In fact, I hope they will help rewrite some of the other ordinances as well.

frequentflier

happy to be living
And to clarify, this has been in the works for awhile and was not prompted by any recent events. Also, this is not a breed ban; just a rewrite of some of the AC Ordinances.