Lefty Gentrification Of Washington DC Brings Negatives For Black Residents

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Some DC residents have filed a lawsuit against the city for encouraging gentrification at the expense of poorer residents. The lawsuit alleges that the city’s policies discriminate on the basis of age, income, and race, favoring creatives and millennials at the expense of the city’s historically African-American, low-income residents. Such a policy would violate the DC Human Rights Act.

The Washington Post has done a laudable job reporting on the legion of ways that gentrification is hurting these black communities, a fascinating study in the contradictions inherent in politics on the Left. Bicycle commuters, for example, have pushed for more bike lanes, a liberal pro-green policy if ever there was one. However, more bike lanes in many parts of the city means less parking, a particular frustration for those who attend Sunday church.

As DC transplant and writer Addison del Mastro has observed, few of the young technocratic elites now populating the city attend church, instead preferring to indulge in Sunday brunch bacchanalias. When I related the story of the DC “bike lane controversy” to a coworker—a very successful, liberal graduate of the University of Chicago now living in the district—he had little sympathy for the city’s black churches. Indeed, he complained that their music was far too loud, and said he had issued noise complaints about one in his own neighborhood.

Many blacks whose families have a long history with the city meanwhile can no longer afford to live in the district, so now live in nearby Maryland counties. Many still have to commute into the city for work, which often requires hours on public transportation, oftentimes doing jobs for the technocratic elite that now populate their old haunts.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/09...shington-dc-brings-negatives-black-residents/

Hijinx

Many blacks whose families have a long history with the city meanwhile can no longer afford to live in the district, so now live in nearby Maryland counties. Many still have to commute into the city for work, which often requires hours on public transportation, oftentimes doing jobs for the technocratic elite that now populate their old haunts.

There is no doubt in my mind that whites are moving into the city.
Blacks have a long history in the city, They came in during the block busting days of the 50's and 60's
They moved the historically white population out.
Now they are moving out . What comes around goes around.
But why can't blacks afford to live in the city.
If they own a home there the mortgage rates haven't increased.
The sale price may be up and they take the higher realty price and run, but it isn't because the payments went up.
The renters may be forced to move as the rental properties are being sold for a profit, but a homeowner certainly cannot claim they cannot afford to live in a neighborhood that is better and has less crime.

Washington DC is certainly not a historically black city, unless history started in 1950.
Certainly there has always been blacks in certain parts of the city, but the majority of the city was white.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
And here I thought gentrification was moving in new folks and rehabbing the neighborhood while creating a new higher paying tax base.
I guess folks should be careful what they ask for.

Hijinx

And here I thought gentrification was moving in new folks and rehabbing the neighborhood while creating a new higher paying tax base.
I guess folks should be careful what they ask for.

Those coming out of Southeast are gentrifying PG and Waldorf. LOL

nutz

There is no doubt in my mind that whites are moving into the city.
Blacks have a long history in the city, They came in during the block busting days of the 50's and 60's
They moved the historically white population out.
Now they are moving out . What comes around goes around.
But why can't blacks afford to live in the city.
If they own a home there the mortgage rates haven't increased.
The sale price may be up and they take the higher realty price and run, but it isn't because the payments went up.
The renters may be forced to move as the rental properties are being sold for a profit, but a homeowner certainly cannot claim they cannot afford to live in a neighborhood that is better and has less crime.

Washington DC is certainly not a historically black city, unless history started in 1950.
Certainly there has always been blacks in certain parts of the city, but the majority of the city was white.

All around SE things are changing. The old rental residents are being replaced by younger, lighter skinned people. The rents are increasing upon renewal. DC has a neat trick up their sleeve too. They will allow you to take your housing voucher with you to Waldorf or wherever you choose. Surprisingly, once you move, the voucher cannot be renewed and you go to the bottom of the housing list if you try and move back.

http://dchousing.org/doc.aspx?docid=159&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Hijinx

All around SE things are changing. The old rental residents are being replaced by younger, lighter skinned people. The rents are increasing upon renewal. DC has a neat trick up their sleeve too. They will allow you to take your housing voucher with you to Waldorf or wherever you choose. Surprisingly, once you move, the voucher cannot be renewed and you go to the bottom of the housing list if you try and move back.

http://dchousing.org/doc.aspx?docid=159&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

I didn't know that, but if true ,I would assume that is the DC City Council doing it.
Looks like things have really changed since Barry died.