I know this is an anne arundel county decision but it happens in so many elections

GregV814

Ron Bateman is the sitting Sheriff in Anne Arundel County. Has been for several terms. Ron is alright, the only fly in the ointment was a domestic disturbance with his wife about 16 months ago. When that happened, the media went berserk and a summons was issued for him for assault & battery. His wife later revoked the charge and all is well. Well, this is an election year. Bateman's opponent, Mr. Frederick's is a lieutenant with the POLICE Department and has been a Lieutenant for at least 18 years, No, not a Captain, a lieutenant. He has pushed a pencil for all 18 years. Now this is odd, enough but he had to bring a civil suit against the County to promote him to that rank. Check it yourself in Maryland Judiciary case search..Why??? Maybe he didn't pass the test or had marginal evaluations...

So, his platform for election was, "well, I didn't beat my wife".... It worked. He is now the front runner for Anne Arundel County Sheriff....Congrats Anne Arundel Countains....

This is not an isolated incident, we all know that. But I guess going negative wins sometimes....

black dog

Free America
Ron Bateman is the sitting Sheriff in Anne Arundel County. Has been for several terms. Ron is alright, the only fly in the ointment was a domestic disturbance with his wife about 16 months ago. When that happened, the media went berserk and a summons was issued for him for assault & battery. His wife later revoked the charge and all is well. Well, this is an election year. Bateman's opponent, Mr. Frederick's is a lieutenant with the POLICE Department and has been a Lieutenant for at least 18 years, No, not a Captain, a lieutenant. He has pushed a pencil for all 18 years. Now this is odd, enough but he had to bring a civil suit against the County to promote him to that rank. Check it yourself in Maryland Judiciary case search..Why??? Maybe he didn't pass the test or had marginal evaluations...

So, his platform for election was, "well, I didn't beat my wife".... It worked. He is now the front runner for Anne Arundel County Sheriff....Congrats Anne Arundel Countains....

This is not an isolated incident, we all know that. But I guess going negative wins sometimes....

Soooooo, it's a good thing to beat your spouse?

Who would vote for a LEO in any form that has a background of domestic violence?

One would think that when the wife withdrew her charges the State would have picked them up. Maybe State Attorneys office nullification..

Hijinx

Who would vote for a LEO in any form that has a background of domestic violence?

One would think that when the wife withdrew her charges the State would have picked them up. Maybe State Attorneys office nullification..

You just convicted him without trial. Maybe the State didn't pick it up because there was no assault.
It wouldn't be the first time a man was not guilty as charged by a wife.

Now , it doesn't make a helluva lot of difference he lost and Fredericks is to be the Republican candidate for Sheriff.

The question now is do you want to vote for a person who had to sue to get to be Lieutenant, stayed there at that rank for 18 years , and won by a somewhat dirty tactic.
Or would you rather take a chance on a Democrat sheriff.
Political parties don't really mean a helluva lot for the office of sheriff anyway.
I couldn't find who is running as a Democrat candidate, but I would look real hard at crossing the party lines.

black dog

Free America
You just convicted him without trial. Maybe the State didn't pick it up because there was no assault.
It wouldn't be the first time a man was not guilty as charged by a wife.

Now , it doesn't make a helluva lot of difference he lost and Fredericks is to be the Republican candidate for Sheriff.

The question now is do you want to vote for a person who had to sue to get to be Lieutenant, stayed there at that rank for 18 years , and won by a somewhat dirty tactic.
Or would you rather take a chance on a Democrat sheriff.
Political parties don't really mean a helluva lot for the office of sheriff anyway.
I couldn't find who is running as a Democrat candidate, but I would look real hard at crossing the party lines.

So let us go back to the charging documents,

During a press conference Monday morning, Anne Arundel County Police Chief Timothy Altomare said Mrs. Bateman had "minor, but clearly visible [injuries]." Charging documents specifically described the wounds as a swollen lip, busted blood vessels in one eye, and redness to one cheek. Mrs. Bateman refused medical treatment.

You don't get a busted lip, swollen cheek and broken blood vessels in your eye having a argument, you get those things when it turns violent. Mrs Bates was lucky the 14 year old son was their to intervene twice that evening I believe.

And absolutely I would rather have a leo that sued his employer over advancement issues than a wife beater. One is lawful and one is not.
And he convicted himself with the folks from AA Co long before I supposedly convicted him. As the senior officer he should have shown he was the one that had much more self control in stressful times to all deptuys under him,, he lost his self control when he put his hands on his wife, and it cost him his job.

SamSpade

Because he was not only not found guilty in court - the charge was revoked?
I wouldn't want a LE officer out there who WAS guilty of any such thing - but .....

I had a roommate who had a rather tumultuous relationship with his girlfriend of many years.
They had a three year old girl. She ditched him and went to live with another guy - actually
more like a household of guys. I don't know what he ever saw in her - he was a good father,
and one day he and I actually saw his little girl walking around downtown alone. Three years old.
Mom was miles away. Best case we can figure is, she forgot her daughter and went home.

Anyway - she visited our downstairs neighbor - and roomie went to see her. And they
got busy. She went home to her boyfriend - who beat her black and blue. So....

She charged my roommate with rape. He was taken from our home in chains. The whole
neighborhood watched. Of course, they did the tests and at least initially looked guilty,
but forensics is a LITTLE better than that, and once the word of the downstairs neighbor
and witnesses got out that she left their home perfectly fine, the police easily figured out what
had happened. And they let him go.

But - not so among our other neighbors who had watched him arrested. As far as they were
concerned - he was a rapist. He bore THAT title for years. When people heard he wasn't being charged,
the reaction was swift - he'd gotten AWAY with it.

So while I don't always have a lot of faith in the system - I give people the benefit of a doubt
especially when they AREN'T FOUND GUILTY of anything.

Hijinx

During a press conference Monday morning, Anne Arundel County Police Chief Timothy Altomare said Mrs. Bateman had "minor, but clearly visible [injuries]." Charging documents specifically described the wounds as a swollen lip, busted blood vessels in one eye, and redness to one cheek. Mrs. Bateman refused medical treatment.

You don't get a busted lip, swollen cheek and broken blood vessels in your eye having a argument, you get those things when it turns violent. Mrs Bates was lucky the 14 year old son was their to intervene twice that evening I believe.

And absolutely I would rather have a leo that sued his employer over advancement issues than a wife beater. One is lawful and one is not.
And he convicted himself with the folks from AA Co long before I supposedly convicted him. As the senior officer he should have shown he was the one that had much more self control in stressful times to all deptuys under him,, he lost his self control when he put his hands on his wife, and it cost him his job.

You and I can't vote there anyway so it is up to Anne Arundel if they want a pencil pushing office boy or a Democrat.
If the Democrat is smart and a good candidate, he has a great opportunity here to win an election.

SamSpade

Well thanks for bringing this to our attention - this certainly sheds more light on the discussion.
I still do tend to give people a benefit of a doubt if all I have to go on - is hearsay.

Hijinx

This reminds me a little bit of how Obama got to be a United States Senator.

Jack Ryan was running against him and pretty much had it sewed up until Obama started a rumor that Ryan took his wife to a sex club and wanted her to join him in a sex act.,
Ryan denied the allegation made in their divorce case.
The divorce case was sealed.

Obama got it opened,Ryan was toast. A State Senator who voted During his eight-year career in the Illinois state senate, Barack Obama avoided making controversial votes approximately 130 times -- which, according to other Illinois state senators, is much higher than average.

As a US Senator he voted 95% with the Party. A nothing Community organizer who got put up for the Presidency because he was a good looking, well spoken black.

black dog

Free America
You and I can't vote there anyway so it is up to Anne Arundel if they want a pencil pushing office boy or a Democrat.
If the Democrat is smart and a good candidate, he has a great opportunity here to win an election.

Two of my parents, one sister and her son of voting age live in Arnold. We have discussed Mr Bates on more than one occasion, including this incident.

black dog

Free America
Well thanks for bringing this to our attention - this certainly sheds more light on the discussion.
I still do tend to give people a benefit of a doubt if all I have to go on - is hearsay.

I will also say that during the time of that incident multiple AA Co deptuys that are members of the MdShooters forum posted other first hand information that this wasn't the first time that this had happened with them.
I don't know if what the posted was true, but it sure seems that guys that put hands on women tend to do it more than once.

And I believe he has a ex-wife, it would be interesting to see what she has to say.

black dog

Free America
Because he was not only not found guilty in court - the charge was revoked?
I wouldn't want a LE officer out there who WAS guilty of any such thing - but .....

I had a roommate who had a rather tumultuous relationship with his girlfriend of many years.
They had a three year old girl. She ditched him and went to live with another guy - actually
more like a household of guys. I don't know what he ever saw in her - he was a good father,
and one day he and I actually saw his little girl walking around downtown alone. Three years old.
Mom was miles away. Best case we can figure is, she forgot her daughter and went home.

Anyway - she visited our downstairs neighbor - and roomie went to see her. And they
got busy. She went home to her boyfriend - who beat her black and blue. So....

She charged my roommate with rape. He was taken from our home in chains. The whole
neighborhood watched. Of course, they did the tests and at least initially looked guilty,
but forensics is a LITTLE better than that, and once the word of the downstairs neighbor
and witnesses got out that she left their home perfectly fine, the police easily figured out what
had happened. And they let him go.

But - not so among our other neighbors who had watched him arrested. As far as they were
concerned - he was a rapist. He bore THAT title for years. When people heard he wasn't being charged,
the reaction was swift - he'd gotten AWAY with it.

So while I don't always have a lot of faith in the system - I give people the benefit of a doubt
especially when they AREN'T FOUND GUILTY of anything.

I know a woman that went to Bermuda with a man she was dating at the time, she called me the second night they were on the island and they were drinking on the beach and he got pissed off and kicked her ass on the beach.
She flew home the next morning on my dime and the following week he was stupid and answered his front door. He was beat with a bat until he was just a lump on the floor of his living room. He had multiple broken ribs, his sternum, collar bone and a few fingers. He never called the police. This should happen to every man that puts his hands on a women or a child.
Every girl should have a brother, this is just one of the reasons I have zero tolerance for domestic violence.
Men need to keep their hands off women.

Hijinx

I know a woman that went to Bermuda with a man she was dating at the time, she called me the second night they were on the island and they were drinking on the beach and he got pissed off and kicked her ass on the beach.
She flew home the next morning on my dime and the following week he was stupid and answered his front door. He was beat with a bat until he was just a lump on the floor of his living room. He had multiple broken ribs, his sternum, collar bone and a few fingers. He never called the police. This should happen to every man that puts his hands on a women or a child.
Every girl should have a brother, this is just one of the reasons I have zero tolerance for domestic violence.

It's a great story, but it sounds fictitious.

black dog

Free America
It's a great story, but it sounds fictitious.

Easy peasy,,.
Work over a female family member or a bestie of mine and find out if it's true or false.
There are those who lean forward and there are those who do nothing.
If you ever meet any of my friends or family members, simply ask them if I lean forward or do nothing.

GregV814

well, I think you missed my point OR I didnt relay the more pressing issue.....Ron has been the Sheriff for years and HAD a good run. Fredericks is a pencil neck man who lost an election for State Delegate and was passed over several times for the position of Captain...He even had to sue the County to get promoted to Lt. Now it appears once again the power of the media and how a second rate Lt. may now be the Sheriff due to dirty campaign. Go early, go dirty...

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You and I can't vote there anyway so it is up to Anne Arundel if they want a pencil pushing office boy or a Democrat. If the Democrat is smart and a good candidate, he has a great opportunity here to win an election.

Exactly. Most likely the best candidate anyway. Not in a any boys club. Keeps to himself. Doesn't owe anyone anything. Being Sheriff is more of an administrative position/job than anything else. So having "pushed a pencil" for so long is could actually be a benefit to the running and organization of the Sheriff's Office. If there is division in the ranks because leadership, it would seem to have a new Sheriff that is not part of one side or another would be a good thing to bring cohesion to the ranks. Just because he's not a bullet proof vest wearing, fatigue covered, side arm strapped to the thigh, muscle bound running on steroids, running around with a chip on his shoulder deputy or officer, does not mean he is not up for the job of being Sheriff.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Oh, and Bateman himself was a democrat as well before he switched parties in 2015 right before running for re-election. So, maybe they'll get a real republican this time?

black dog

Free America
well, I think you missed my point OR I didnt relay the more pressing issue.....Ron has been the Sheriff for years and HAD a good run. Fredericks is a pencil neck man who lost an election for State Delegate and was passed over several times for the position of Captain...He even had to sue the County to get promoted to Lt. Now it appears once again the power of the media and how a second rate Lt. may now be the Sheriff due to dirty campaign. Go early, go dirty...

Seems it's only pressing to you, Tell your friend Ron not to beat his wife.

SamSpade

You won't get an argument from me.
Thirty years ago, a frat president repeatedly raped and beat and burned my little sister until she was black and blue.
After three hours - she got away. Reported it - and no one believed her because the kid was rich and had a good rep.
Took it to trial - and she had an affidavit from his ROOMMATE who had been hiding under the bed during the ordeal
because he knew how violent his roomie was. Guy got ten years. She was beaten so badly the cop taking her pictures threw up.

My family chose to tell me much later after it happened - because they knew I'd get my friends together
and beat him until he begged for death.

If you're guilty - you deserve what's coming. That's what justice means to me - you get what you deserve.

Hijinx

Easy peasy,,.
Work over a female family member or a bestie of mine and find out if it's true or false.
There are those who lean forward and there are those who do nothing.
If you ever meet any of my friends or family members, simply ask them if I lean forward or do nothing.

Yah, yah, Yah the anonymous forumite says.