Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So much for separation of Church and State (if it ever did exist)

Quote Originally Posted by workerbee View Post
    Can someone direct me to the passage in the constitution that says... "separation of church and state"?
    You wont find it there, since it's not there, but it's generally accepted to be both the genesis and virtually the definition of the scope of the FA.

Jefferson's metaphor of a wall of separation has been cited repeatedly by the U.S. Supreme Court. In Reynolds v. United States (1879) the Court wrote that Jefferson's comments "may be accepted almost as an authoritative declaration of the scope and effect of the [First] Amendment." In Everson v. Board of Education (1947), Justice Hugo Black wrote: "In the words of Thomas Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect a wall of separation between church and state."[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separa..._United_States
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Wait, aren't they the same ones who insist it's only moral and Christian to throw our borders open and let anyone who wants to come rolling in? That that's what Jesus would want us to do?
    As I see it, the Bishops are pretty much fine with what Pope Francis states about immigration.
    The Pope is all for us letting in all comers.
    Not really sure all of the rank and file priests are in favor of it.
    IMO the Pope and the Bishops should stick to guiding the Church and let the President guide America.

Perhaps these priests feel the same way----and are about to catch hell for it.

Quote Originally Posted by workerbee View Post
    Can someone direct me to the passage in the constitution that says... "separation of church and state"?
    The secularists beleive if someone sneezes and you say “God bless you” you are establishing a religion...
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas.....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Beers at Krakken bar with Bird Dog. For all of you who wondered, he's normal. :jet:

The Priests 401"s are doing well also..
    No one cares.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    4 more "union members" stumping for a candidate???? Where's the somd outrage???

Priests' attendance at Trump rally causes furor
    Well.. if you're suggesting the government shouldn't have allowed them to attend, or hold their signs or support a candidate.. I think THAT would be a problem.
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Virtually all of my life, I've heard OF preachers and pastors and religious leaders supporting political candidates from the PULPIT
    and occasionally - giving them opportunity to campaign during the church service.

Apparently the Catholic Church has different opinion on this - but their most egregious offense was that they went
    dressed in their garb as priests. I'm not aware of any policy or rule that this breaks - priests have held public office
    across the world for - I don't know how long.

But this is not a violation of "separation of church and state" which is not even part of our Constitution but a description
    of what the First Amendment is supposed to achieve - as in, the government isn't supposed to be establishing religion.
    This is the opposite - this is religious people expressing their First Amendment right.

Maybe trans has officially joined the "ignorati"?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

If this had been four Pepsi workers in full Pepsi gear, and the CEO of Pepsi didn't like it, or the local Pepsi branch (for whom they worked) didn't like it, that Pepsi boss would be well within his/her rights to say, "I don't really like this because I think the political candidate was abusing my workers and they shouldn't have been there in full Pepsi gear as though the entire Pepsi company is in full support of that candidate. We, at the glorious Pepsi company, have no concerns with our workers supporting any candidate they choose, but they should not do it in full Pepsi garb."

I see no difference in a Bishop suggesting the same thing about priests that work for him.

To the best of my understanding from what was posted in the OP, the separation is coming from the church, not the government. The church leader is saying (in effect), "don't bring my church into politics." That seems pretty reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    I'm sure Trump will be charged with more crimes before Hillary.

Please pin this for future reference

Pinned, as requested.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Virtually all of my life, I've heard OF preachers and pastors and religious leaders supporting political candidates from the PULPIT
    and occasionally - giving them opportunity to campaign during the church service.
    Happens all the time. Heck, that's the only time you ever heard of Bill Clinton going to church: when he was campaigning. Note that the Left didn't mind it then.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by This_person View Post
    I see no difference in a Bishop suggesting the same thing about priests that work for him.
    Priests don't "work for" the Bishop, as in he is not their employer and it's not "his church". It's his diocese, but I'm not sure how that translates to curtailing the Constitutional rights of priests.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post

Apparently the Catholic Church has different opinion on this - but their most egregious offense was that they went
    dressed in their garb as priests. I'm not aware of any policy or rule that this breaks - priests have held public office
    across the world for - I don't know how long.

But this is not a violation of "separation of church and state" which is not even part of our Constitution but a description
    of what the First Amendment is supposed to achieve - as in, the government isn't supposed to be establishing religion.
    This is the opposite - this is religious people expressing their First Amendment right.

Maybe trans has officially joined the "ignorati"?
    Joined it?, she is President and CEO.

Members who have read this thread: 62