Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: POTUS Trump Nominates Judge Brett Kavanaugh to SCOTUS

I have no idea who Kavanaugh is or his record. I am not a lawyer or court buff and do not know a lot of Judges, even the more famous ones.

I feel like the Democrat Congress is like the college students interviewed before the announcement who condemned a guy that was un named as yet.
    Whomsoever it is will face scrutiny unlike anything seen before by him.
    Psyops stated that it took him 3 years to get appointed to DC Circuit.
    I am sure whatever they used to hold him back then will surface along with his Grade school record and anything else they can dig up.

I have no opinion of him one way or the other as I am not well informed on Judges.
    But I do sympathize with him and his family as they face the worst period of their lives as he is rousted by the maxine waters crowd and
    demonized by the Democrat side of the Congress. It takes balls to accept any nomination from Donald trump.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    Rand Paul may vote no because Kavanaugh is viewed as a DC insider
    If Paul votes no it'll be related to Kavanaugh's record on 4A rulings but he said he's keep an open mind.

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1016489038595940353

Amash isn't happy about the pick, but he's in the House and can't do anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    I have no opinion of him one way or the other as I am not well informed on Judges.
    But I do sympathize with him and his family as they face the worst period of their live as he is rousted by maxine waters crowd and
    demonized by the Democrat side of the Congress. It takes balls to accept any nomination from Donald trump.
    It's the job of the Senate to run nominees through the ringer. This is a potential lifetime position in our nation's highest court and I personally don't think nominees should be rubber stamped in.
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Look over the vote "fight" over SCOTUS nominees, regarding who is nominating them, since around 1990.
    In reality you can go back further, since the "fight" pretty much started over Bork.

The only contentious fights have been from the left over right nominees.
    Period.

Even Clinton's and Obama's nominees made it through Congress rather easily.
    you re kidding right? Was garland confirmed when i wasn't looking?
    "once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"-TGD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    It's the job of the Senate to run nominees through the ringer. This is a potential lifetime position in our nation's highest court and I personally don't think nominees should be rubber stamped in.
    I think wringer was the word you were looking for. And it is the job of the Senate to become informed and be sure the candidate they are voting for is qualified.

In theory political bias should not enter into it. The judge should make his/her decision based on the law and the Constitution.
    Of course we all know better, and political bias is the wringer the Nominee has to face.

It's a sorry wringer,but it exists. Bork taught us that, Soda Jerk and Kagan taught us what happens when incompetents are nominated and appointed.
    I give Ginsberg a pass because she is too old to think straight. Needs to take a long rest and retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightrider View Post
    Garland?? Why do you suggest Garland when Bork got tossed.

Must be the direction of your bias.

Don’t remember anyone making wild accusations about him or interrogating him like he was a criminal.

Please provide a link where this was done.

TIA

Sorry - missed ONE.

Thirty years of the left fighting over nominees, sorry if I overlooked EVERY ONE from Thomas through Gorsuch.
    And of course, -- Bork.

And in case you haven't noticed - Garland was never voted on.
    Admittedly - he should have been, so he could have been voted DOWN, as he easily could have been.
    After all - "BIDEN rules".
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

It wasn't JUST the students who objected to his pick - before it was announced ...

There's also ABC News who announced the "controversial pick"

BEFORE IT WAS ANNOUNCED.

I don't care how you feel about Trump - when you can condemn a decision BEFORE it is made, you're no longer unbiased.
    PERIOD.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds." Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Sorry - missed ONE.

Thirty years of the left fighting over nominees, sorry if I overlooked EVERY ONE from Thomas through Gorsuch.
    And of course, -- Bork.

And in case you haven't noticed - Garland was never voted on.
    Admittedly - he should have been, so he could have been voted DOWN, as he easily could have been.
    After all - "BIDEN rules".
    and if he had been there would have been a contentious debate and questioning.
    Lets not pretend that the right isn't EXACTLY the same as the left with respect to playing stupid political games.
    Mitch used the easiest process he could to block Garlands appointment. unfortunately, it set up a situation where the dems will almost certainly try to stall this confirmation until after the midterm. Like i said, both sides justify their actions on those of the other side.
    "once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"-TGD

Members who have read this thread: 72