"Child-free and happy - why won't anyone believe me?"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/style/no-kids-happy.html

Probably because you write articles like this, over-insisting how wonderful it is. Most people with young children or teens do not look down on their childless friends; they envy them. You might get some pity from grandmas who dote excessively on their grandchildren, or even from nutty helicopter moms who have no life outside of their kids, but by and large - especially in this day and age - I don't think everyone you meet is consumed with your life choices.

I get that she had to write about something, but this piece comes across as the manic "look how perfect my life is" wails of someone who is deeply unsatisfied. She ends the piece by eating leftover steak with an egg for breakfast, like that's something people with kids can't do. :lol: If you want to rub your childless state in the faces of your readers, I can think of about a million different ways to do that. Mention that you didn't yell once today. You went into a store without having to corral some get into everything kid. Nobody whined about what was for dinner. Nobody required an emergency room visit, nor did you have to figure out how to juggle your heavy work day because a kid decided to get sick. Not one thing in your house got broken.

Leftover steak just isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I think of being childless. :lol:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
And the vision that was planted in my brain, .... Still remains.

Within the sound of silence

marychic

Not sure why everyone is so focused on why their way is the right way or wrong way. Anyone can find happiness in almost any choice they make!

Grumpy

Not sure why everyone is so focused on why their way is the right way or wrong way. Anyone can find happiness in almost any choice they make!

Did you take a wrong turn somewhere along the line, there's no place for sane comments like yours on this forum. :yay:

SamSpade

Probably because you write articles like this, over-insisting how wonderful it is. Most people with young children or teens do not look down on their childless friends; they envy them.

I was "childless" until my mid-forties. And I wanted kids. I think having to wait so long has made me cherish them so very much.

I don't look down on childless friends - but I do think they might be missing out on something really great. With some I realize - no, actually raising kids
is probably not for you, so you probably made the right choice. No, you're not selfish - being a parent isn't for everyone.

I used to say that I didn't really know love until my wife - but I never knew joy at all until my son.

I don't think they have a terrible or sad life. Getting to know them, I understand better what they want.
I just sometimes think about how happy my children have made MY life.

I wish everyone felt that way.

I was "childless" until my mid-forties. And I wanted kids. I think having to wait so long has made me cherish them so very much.

I don't look down on childless friends - but I do think they might be missing out on something really great. With some I realize - no, actually raising kids
is probably not for you, so you probably made the right choice. No, you're not selfish - being a parent isn't for everyone.

I used to say that I didn't really know love until my wife - but I never knew joy at all until my son.

I don't think they have a terrible or sad life. Getting to know them, I understand better what they want.

:yeahthat: Well said! :ditto: :yay: (Except I chose to have my 2 while I was in my mid-late 20s.)

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:yay: Nicely said!