Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Log In Not Secure

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by b23hqb View Post
    I hope it doesn't do anything bad.....
    Forums such as this aren't a prime target for hackers, since we don't keep personal or financial information. We've never had a problem with it in the past but I'll let David know so he can give you the tech skinny.

Believe me, he is highly security conscious, so if he thought there was realistic potential for accounts to be compromised, he'd take action.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Forums such as this aren't a prime target for hackers, since we don't keep personal or financial information. We've never had a problem with it in the past but I'll let David know so he can give you the tech skinny.

Believe me, he is highly security conscious, so if he thought there was realistic potential for accounts to be compromised, he'd take action.
    I'm down with that. There's nothing on the site that I can think of other than my yearly payments for the premo title. I guess I could be attacked for my conservative views, but so be it.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Maybe it's a Firefox thing? This is the warning I get:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...urce=inproduct

I hope it doesn't do anything bad.....
    Thanks for the link. I've been getting that message too.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Opinions are my own...
    Blog Entries
    Lately I've been getting notices at the log in up top that states "Log in is not secure. User name and passwords may be compromised." I still log in, and my protection program shows no hits yet. Is that something I should be concerned with, or is it just pertinent to this site? Thanks.
    Hi, This is a new "feature" with many web browsers. Any time the browser sees a login form and the connection won't use SSL when the submit button is pressed, it is going to throw up that warning. While that may be of concern if you are logging into your bank account, there is nothing to worry about when logging into our forums. In the first place, there is probably a one in a billion chance that anyone, other than our government, is tapping into your direct communication between your browser and our server so they can steal your username and password for the somd.com forums.

I can't think of one major data breach because someone successfully executed a man in the middle attack and stole people's information on an unencrypted link. Most fraud on the internet is typically the result of someone doing something foolish, like not protect his PC properly with antivirus and updates or clicking on links in obvious scam/phishing emails. The other problem is of course when hackers are able to break into a server and steal the database.

Eventually, we will use SSL all the time for the forums. Until then, there is no reason to lose any sleep over it.
    Last edited by David; 07-11-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    What are you going to do today to make the world a better place?

Thank you.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

..if momma ain't happy... my-thyme's Avatar
    What is irritating for me is that the "remember me" feature is not working. I have to put in my username and password every time I want to get on. Any fix for this?

Quote Originally Posted by my-thyme View Post
    What is irritating for me is that the "remember me" feature is not working. I have to put in my username and password every time I want to get on. Any fix for this?
    I have that issue as well.

..if momma ain't happy... my-thyme's Avatar
    Thanks!

I have that issue as well.
    Me too.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    I don't have that problem with my laptop or my phone, just my Kindle.

You have to delete the cookies for somd.com, then come back, log in, "remember me", and it's good to go. But I don't know how to delete cookies from my Kindle. It's not that big a deal because the log in autofills, but still....
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Members who have read this thread: 52