1 Kings 1 GNA, Bathsheba & Nathan

seekeroftruth

1 Kings 1:11 Then Nathan asked Bathsheba, Solomon’s mother, “Have you not heard that Adonijah, the son of Haggith, has become king, and our lord David knows nothing about it? 12 Now then, let me advise you how you can save your own life and the life of your son Solomon. 13 Go in to King David and say to him, ‘My lord the king, did you not swear to me your servant: “Surely Solomon your son shall be king after me, and he will sit on my throne”? Why then has Adonijah become king?’ 14 While you are still there talking to the king, I will come in and add my word to what you have said.”

15 So Bathsheba went to see the aged king in his room, where Abishag the Shunammite was attending him. 16 Bathsheba bowed down, prostrating herself before the king.

“What is it you want?” the king asked.

17 She said to him, “My lord, you yourself swore to me your servant by the Lord your God: ‘Solomon your son shall be king after me, and he will sit on my throne.’ 18 But now Adonijah has become king, and you, my lord the king, do not know about it. 19 He has sacrificed great numbers of cattle, fattened calves, and sheep, and has invited all the king’s sons, Abiathar the priest and Joab the commander of the army, but he has not invited Solomon your servant. 20 My lord the king, the eyes of all Israel are on you, to learn from you who will sit on the throne of my lord the king after him. 21 Otherwise, as soon as my lord the king is laid to rest with his ancestors, I and my son Solomon will be treated as criminals.”

22 While she was still speaking with the king, Nathan the prophet arrived. 23 And the king was told, “Nathan the prophet is here.” So he went before the king and bowed with his face to the ground.

24 Nathan said, “Have you, my lord the king, declared that Adonijah shall be king after you, and that he will sit on your throne? 25 Today he has gone down and sacrificed great numbers of cattle, fattened calves, and sheep. He has invited all the king’s sons, the commanders of the army and Abiathar the priest. Right now they are eating and drinking with him and saying, ‘Long live King Adonijah!’ 26 But me your servant, and Zadok the priest, and Benaiah son of Jehoiada, and your servant Solomon he did not invite. 27 Is this something my lord the king has done without letting his servants know who should sit on the throne of my lord the king after him?”​

What a good plan.... two witnesses, timed just right, favorite first... it's a good plan Nathan came up with. We've seen how deathbed [or old bed] blessings can be stolen. Rebecca and Jacob tricked Isaac into giving Jacob the blessing meant for the older twin brother Esau. So if anything was off during this meeting with Bathsheba, Nathan and David... it would affect Solomon's reign. So the relationship between David and Abishag the Shunammite is important. If she were a whore... the whole tone of this chapter and Solomon's reign would be tainted by her presence in the chamber that day.

This is from the blueletterbible.org.

Now the king was very old, and Abishag the Shunammite was serving the king: This is included to remind us of David's limited capabilities as king. He needed the help of Bathsheba and Nathan brought to him in the following verses.

I and my son Solomon will be counted as offenders: Bathsheba began by telling David the facts about Adonijah's actions. Then she used this tender appeal, reminding David that her life and the life of Solomon were in grave danger if Adonijah became the king.

Nathan the prophet came in: The last place we saw Nathan was in 2 Samuel 12, where he rebuked his friend David over the scandal with Bathsheba and the murder of Uriah. Yet now, at the end of his days, David received Nathan; the sense is that he remained a trusted friend. David did not treat Nathan as an enemy when he confronted him with a painful truth.​

So... David was stuck in bed... apparently he needed round the clock care. Yes... I am still concerned about the young virgin David has taking care of him. The commentaries still all seem to go along with the medical aspects of it... so now I'm assuming that David is very ill, bedridden... dying?!? But the following is from Bibletrack.

There we are told that David began reigning at 30 and reigned for 40 years...70 years altogether. Nevertheless, "he gat no heat." You will notice that King David's relationship with Abishag was simply as a nurse who also lent herself to keep him warm at night. Verse 4 says, "...but the king knew her not." As far as a formal relationship goes, we'll see later on that David had obviously taken her as wife or concubine.​

Now... that little virgin girl is in these verses and I need to say something again.... 'cause it's been bugging me. David apparently had a medical issue. Maybe [note this is just my conjecture... not biblical... it's all me] David picked up some kind of bug when he was hiding in the caves. Maybe his thyroid was off. Look, I'm almost 68 myself.... and I know what it's like to be getting elderly.... I think maybe David couldn't have a sexual relationship but he needed her body warmth.... and since he could afford it... why not... she had a wonderful future ahead of her financially.... so this woman was his caregiver... a GNA so to speak. And she was a witness....

Typical duties of geriatric nursing assistants include dressing, bathing, and feeding patients, moving and repositioning bedridden patients, changing bed linens, taking temperature, pulse, and blood pressure, preparing and transporting patients, and recording care.​

Now the stage is set... We're in David's chambers... there's David, his GNA, Bathsheba, and Nathan. Bathsheba and Nathan will tell David that his son is plotting to be king while David's just laying complaining about being cold all the time.

It was Nathan who straightened David out when David was having his romp with Bathsheba. Now it's Nathan and Bathsheba who are telling on Adonijah. Bathsheba has to save Solomon. They are right... if Adonijah slips himself onto the throne.... he'll kill Solomon... and Bathsheba doesn't want to loose another son.

:coffee: