Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Angela Merkel hits back at Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Gilligan isn't trying to make an argument, he never does.
    Posts the child that tried to bolster his failed argument with a freak source. You really suck at this, kid.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Which is why Reagan told him to tear down that wall and worked with him to make it feasible.

Hater.

Bot.

Chris can't give him credit because the jackhammers didn't start while Reagan was at the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss Martin Armstrong altogether - the truth is, he's right, the economic model of the Soviet Union was always a shambles..
    Not once -EVER - did I offer an argument to the contrary. Of course it was always a failed model. Not the point of the current discussion. I simply pointed to how the Reagan approach caused the inevitable to occur more rapidly. Good times they were, too.

Which is why Reagan told him to tear down that wall and worked with him to make it feasible.

Hater.

Bot.

Whiney little bitch he is, too. Watch..I predict he'll call me "Bill" in the next post or two because the juvenile thinks that's somehow "edgy". What a POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Gilligan isn't trying to make an argument, he never does. He's trying to simply be "right" in any way that he can. If attacking the source, but not the material, makes him feel like a winner, good for him.
    It's not a bad approach - if I had looked up that you source wasn't Martin Armstrong but Herbert Armstrong, I would have laughed myself to death.
    If it had been Samuelson - ROBERT Samuelson instead of Paul Samuelson - then, I might have doubts.

Trans does this all the time but doesn't go from there. She simply dismisses the source without going to the argument.
    But it IS valid if the source lacks credibility - it's one of the crucial tactics in a jury trial - cast doubt on the credibility of witnesses and experts.

It's true that the U.S. didn't want the Soviet Union to collapse into member states - I listened to Brian Mulroney - then very recently the former
    Prime Minister of Canada speak at my mom's graduation about the dangers of new nuclear states forming out of the former Soviet Union,
    MAINLY because you just can't have - as he explained it - having nuclear scientists get paid a garbageman's wages, when a new nuclear
    state would LOVE to pay them a fortune. This was in 1991. So yeah. I get it.

You can say that the Soviet Union was wasteful. Communist nations are corrupt. It goes with the territory.
    But they had limped along for 70 years and still managed to survive. Popular uprisings in the past were put down.
    Sometimes by killing dozens, hundreds, thousands. I guess if you count Stalin - *millions*. They could have gone along for much longer.
    We HAVE despotic regimes in the world - and they're still going on.
    The difference with many of them is, their continued existence isn't threatened by a worldwide super power.

IF WE HAD DONE in the 80's what we had always done - dance around the issues but never commit to defeating them -
    I think they could have gone on for a couple more decades - we'd have talks, and discuss disarmament, and pretend
    we were making progress against their interference with communist regimes around the world - and continue to do nothing.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Angela Merkel has pushed back against Donald Trump’s extraordinary tirade against Germany on the first day of the Nato summit in Brussels, denying her country was “totally controlled” by Russia and saying it made its own independent decisions and policies.

In less blunt language than the US president’s, the German chancellor made the point that she needed no lessons in dealing with authoritarian regimes, recalling she had been brought up in East Germany when it had been part of the Soviet Union’s sphere of influence.

Arriving at Nato headquarters only hours after Trump singled out Germany for criticism, Merkel said: “I have experienced myself how a part of Germany was controlled by the Soviet Union. I am very happy that today we are united in freedom, the Federal Republic of Germany. Because of that we can say that we can make our independent policies and make independent decisions. That is very good, especially for people in eastern Germany.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ve-of-russians
    Here's the thing: Trump is absolutely correct. Germany's energy dependence on Russia is, according to Trump in the 60-70 percent range, and that's a problem.

Merkel: Mr. Putin, you shouldn't be involved in Ukraine; those are human rights violations.
    Putin: how much oil and natural gas did you need again, Mrs. Merkel?
    Merkel: *crickets*
    Last edited by BOP; 07-11-2018 at 06:58 PM.
    “Lead paint chips: they're not just for breakfast anymore.” - Board Mommy

Quote Originally Posted by BOP View Post
    Here's the thing: Trump is absolutely correct. Germany's dependence on Russia is, according to Trump in the 60-70 percent range, and that's a problem.

Merkel: Mr. Putin, you shouldn't be involved in Ukraine; those are human rights violations.
    Putin: how much oil and natural gas did you need again, Mrs. Merkel?
    Merkel: *crickets*
    I read a book back in the 70's called "The Russians" by Hedrick Smith (I believe he was a NYT reporter but this is memory).
    THAT very scenario is described in the book - Western Europe gets indignant over Russia doing something - they throttle back the spigot - Western Europe capitulates.

Scary to think in forty years, they learned nothing.
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Blog Entries
    Chris is like it's his career to hate President Trump. Or maybe he thinks it makes him hipster and kewlie, and he's getting older and needs that youth affirmation.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Chris is like it's his career to hate President Trump. Or maybe he thinks it makes him hipster and kewlie, and he's getting older and needs that youth affirmation.
    It gets him invited to the millennial's parties.

I bought a Harley...much easier on my stress levels than all that hate.
    “Lead paint chips: they're not just for breakfast anymore.” - Board Mommy

Members who have read this thread: 48