Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Spending...

  1. #1
    Nobel Peace Prize Awarded Kyle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,199

    Spending...

    Older article but captures a snapshot of the issue...


    THIS week the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) held its first meeting of defence ministers since Donald Trump became America′s president. Many of the group′s 28 members grew nervous after Mr Trump called it “obsolete” during his campaign, and suggested that the United States would only provide military aid to a threatened member if it had paid its fair share. The president has tamped down such rhetoric of late. Nonetheless, on February 15th America’s defence secretary, James Mattis, warned allies that they must adopt plans to raise their military spending or risk seeing its most powerful member “moderate its commitment to the alliance”.

    The United States has a point in noting that its commitment is disproportionately large. Last year it spent 3.6% of its GDP on defence, the highest ratio of any NATO member (and the highest total military budget in the world by a hefty margin). That is almost double the target of 2% of GDP that NATO members all agreed to in 2006. At the time six members reached the threshold; last year five did.


    https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...y-nato-members
    ___________________________________________________________
    "If You Don’t Read the Newspaper You Are Uninformed, If You Do Read the Newspaper You Are Misinformed." - Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    26,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Older article but captures a snapshot of the issue...


    THIS week the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) held its first meeting of defence ministers since Donald Trump became America′s president. Many of the group′s 28 members grew nervous after Mr Trump called it “obsolete” during his campaign, and suggested that the United States would only provide military aid to a threatened member if it had paid its fair share. The president has tamped down such rhetoric of late. Nonetheless, on February 15th America’s defence secretary, James Mattis, warned allies that they must adopt plans to raise their military spending or risk seeing its most powerful member “moderate its commitment to the alliance”.

    The United States has a point in noting that its commitment is disproportionately large. Last year it spent 3.6% of its GDP on defence, the highest ratio of any NATO member (and the highest total military budget in the world by a hefty margin). That is almost double the target of 2% of GDP that NATO members all agreed to in 2006. At the time six members reached the threshold; last year five did.


    https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...y-nato-members
    Well: We know that when the SHTF who is going to be called on to take on the greatest burden.
    Why shouldn't the other members pay their fair share, and do their fair share with their militaries.

  3. #3
    Imagine how much less we'd spend if it was truly for "defense" and not nation building or dictator toppling.
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Imagine how much less we'd spend if it was truly for "defense" and not nation building or dictator toppling.
    How much do you figure we're spending on the two of those things these days?
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    How much do you figure we're spending on the two of those things these days?
    I know money tight in the Marine Corps at home, the amount of equipment my son has had to buy is unbelievable. He tells me they even tear target pasters in half to make them go farther.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  6. #6
    Nobel Peace Prize Awarded Kyle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Imagine how much less we'd spend if it was truly for "defense" and not nation building or dictator toppling.
    The nation building is the major issue.

    Toppling a dictator wouldn't be hard if there was a reason. Go in, kill EVERYTHING, leave the smoking ruins behind.
    ___________________________________________________________
    "If You Don’t Read the Newspaper You Are Uninformed, If You Do Read the Newspaper You Are Misinformed." - Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I know money tight in the Marine Corps at home, the amount of equipment my son has had to buy is unbelievable. He tells me they even tear target pasters in half to make them go farther.
    The colossal waste associated with the Iraq and Afghan campaigns is going to take many years to repair...I know some Guard units were completely gutted of equipment, spare parts etc.. I just hope the wasteful expenditures are - or will soon - end.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    The nation building is the major issue.

    Toppling a dictator wouldn't be hard if there was a reason. Go in, kill EVERYTHING, leave the smoking ruins behind.
    That's how we used to fight wars..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    How much do you figure we're spending on the two of those things these days?
    USAID's FY2019 budget alone is over $37 billion.
    https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/...Y_2019_CBJ.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I just hope the wasteful expenditures are - or will soon - end.
    Why would they?
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

Members who have read this thread: 44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |