Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spending...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spending...

Older article but captures a snapshot of the issue...

THIS week the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) held its first meeting of defence ministers since Donald Trump became America′s president. Many of the group′s 28 members grew nervous after Mr Trump called it “obsolete” during his campaign, and suggested that the United States would only provide military aid to a threatened member if it had paid its fair share. The president has tamped down such rhetoric of late. Nonetheless, on February 15th America’s defence secretary, James Mattis, warned allies that they must adopt plans to raise their military spending or risk seeing its most powerful member “moderate its commitment to the alliance”.

The United States has a point in noting that its commitment is disproportionately large. Last year it spent 3.6% of its GDP on defence, the highest ratio of any NATO member (and the highest total military budget in the world by a hefty margin). That is almost double the target of 2% of GDP that NATO members all agreed to in 2006. At the time six members reached the threshold; last year five did.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...y-nato-members

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Older article but captures a snapshot of the issue...

THIS week the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) held its first meeting of defence ministers since Donald Trump became America′s president. Many of the group′s 28 members grew nervous after Mr Trump called it “obsolete” during his campaign, and suggested that the United States would only provide military aid to a threatened member if it had paid its fair share. The president has tamped down such rhetoric of late. Nonetheless, on February 15th America’s defence secretary, James Mattis, warned allies that they must adopt plans to raise their military spending or risk seeing its most powerful member “moderate its commitment to the alliance”.

The United States has a point in noting that its commitment is disproportionately large. Last year it spent 3.6% of its GDP on defence, the highest ratio of any NATO member (and the highest total military budget in the world by a hefty margin). That is almost double the target of 2% of GDP that NATO members all agreed to in 2006. At the time six members reached the threshold; last year five did.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...y-nato-members
    Well: We know that when the SHTF who is going to be called on to take on the greatest burden.
    Why shouldn't the other members pay their fair share, and do their fair share with their militaries.

Imagine how much less we'd spend if it was truly for "defense" and not nation building or dictator toppling.
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    Imagine how much less we'd spend if it was truly for "defense" and not nation building or dictator toppling.
    How much do you figure we're spending on the two of those things these days?
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    I know money tight in the Marine Corps at home, the amount of equipment my son has had to buy is unbelievable. He tells me they even tear target pasters in half to make them go farther.
    No one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I know money tight in the Marine Corps at home, the amount of equipment my son has had to buy is unbelievable. He tells me they even tear target pasters in half to make them go farther.
    The colossal waste associated with the Iraq and Afghan campaigns is going to take many years to repair...I know some Guard units were completely gutted of equipment, spare parts etc.. I just hope the wasteful expenditures are - or will soon - end.
    "I've got to start eating at home more" - J. Dahmer

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    The US defense budget this year is now $700B...

Last year: At $610 billion, US military spending accounted for more than a third of the world total in 2017. The USA’s spending was 2.7 times greater than the next highest spender, China; indeed, the USA spent more than the next seven highest spenders combined (see figure 2).
    TRENDS IN WORLD MILITARY EXPENDITURE, 2017

All this whining about what other countries is paying is stupid (as most topics on here seem to be).

Whenever it is stated that we pay too much for defense, all you right wing types have a stroke. When Trump b*tches that we are spending too much...you all nod and salivate like obedient little puppies. Make up your minds....if you have any.

(BTW...we are also running a deficit that is fast approaching $1T.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    USAID's FY2019 budget alone is over $37 billion.
    https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/...Y_2019_CBJ.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If you don't like it, go #### yourself.

USAID's FY2019 budget alone is over $37 billion.
    https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/...Y_2019_CBJ.pdf
    Crikes! When did USAID chop over to the Defense Department? Do you suppose SecState knew it was happening?
    Saying we are a country of "Immigrants" is an insult to our ancestors.

The nation building is the major issue.

Toppling a dictator wouldn't be hard if there was a reason. Go in, kill EVERYTHING, leave the smoking ruins behind.

Members who have read this thread: 48