Reality Bites

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't recycle simply because I know it's bullcrap and doesn't do a damn thing for the environment. But I also loathe packaging because of the trash factor, and there are a zillion different things companies could do to reduce their packaging that the consumer wouldn't even notice or would find more convenient.

My packaging pet peeve is those inner sleeves/bags inside boxes of cereal, crackers, cookies, etc. Chip bags annoy me as well. I always put the contents into a resealable bag, throw away the dumb worthless bag, and put my sealed bag of stuff back in the box. Companies could start out with a resealable bag, it might cost 5-cents more per box, and they could pass that on to the consumer without them even realizing it. But they don't.

If President Trump wants to be perfect in my eyes, he should make a law that says companies have to use resealable packaging.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If President Trump wants to be perfect in my eyes, he should make a law that says companies have to use resealable packaging.

Trump-eats-tears-for-breakfast-600x420.jpg

I don't recycle simply because I know it's bullcrap and doesn't do a damn thing for the environment. But I also loathe packaging because of the trash factor, and there are a zillion different things companies could do to reduce their packaging that the consumer wouldn't even notice or would find more convenient.

My packaging pet peeve is those inner sleeves/bags inside boxes of cereal, crackers, cookies, etc. Chip bags annoy me as well. I always put the contents into a resealable bag, throw away the dumb worthless bag, and put my sealed bag of stuff back in the box. Companies could start out with a resealable bag, it might cost 5-cents more per box, and they could pass that on to the consumer without them even realizing it. But they don't.

And dump the cardboard box like Maltos. They sell cereal just in plastic bags, no box. Make that bag resealable.

stgislander

PREMO Member

My only complaint is that some of those "resealable" bags already being provided by manufacturers (yes, I'm looking at you Malt-O-Meal and various hot dog makers) are positively useless.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And dump the cardboard box like Maltos. They sell cereal just in plastic bags, no box. Make that bag resealable.

:tantrum:

UGH! Something already comes in a bag - WTH wouldn't they just add a simple closure to it????? :jameo: Frozen foods are the worst offenders.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My only complaint is that some of those "resealable" bags already being provided by manufacturers (yes, I'm looking at you Malt-O-Meal and various hot dog makers) are positively useless.

Or they disguise the fact that it's resealable, so you don't realize it until you've already ripped open the bag.

:jameo: :cds:

This is such a simple process - I do it at home all the time. Why is it that food people can't manage this simple task???

SamSpade

I pretty much gave up on recycling for two reasons -

One, the biggest wasters of paper - such as newspaper companies and such - don't use the recycled paper at all.
We create this giant pile of paper available for recycling - and only a tiny bit ever gets used.

But the other was watching the staff at work take all of the separate containers for recycling -

And dump them in ONE giant hopper. Yep. Plastic, cans, paper - all thrown BACK into one giant bin.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see they're not recycling it at all.

But this kind of sealed the deal for me - until recycled stuff makes serious inroads into manufacturing -
it's just a feel good policy. It doesn't do anything.