Thread: Reality Bites

Reality Bites

Another green "feel good" scam .... "recycling"..

Every branch of government from Washington D.C. to your local town council had spent a fortune convincing people that recycling is a magical process that turns your old pizza boxes into new pizza boxes while creating those imaginary “green jobs” in the community. The reality was a lot dirtier.
    https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/270...iel-greenfield
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Another green "feel good" scam .... "recycling"..

https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/270...iel-greenfield
    Penn and Teller did a couple shows on that topic.

... "Feel good" rather than "Do Good"

Blog Entries
    I don't recycle simply because I know it's bullcrap and doesn't do a damn thing for the environment. But I also loathe packaging because of the trash factor, and there are a zillion different things companies could do to reduce their packaging that the consumer wouldn't even notice or would find more convenient.

My packaging pet peeve is those inner sleeves/bags inside boxes of cereal, crackers, cookies, etc. Chip bags annoy me as well. I always put the contents into a resealable bag, throw away the dumb worthless bag, and put my sealed bag of stuff back in the box. Companies could start out with a resealable bag, it might cost 5-cents more per box, and they could pass that on to the consumer without them even realizing it. But they don't.

If President Trump wants to be perfect in my eyes, he should make a law that says companies have to use resealable packaging.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    If President Trump wants to be perfect in my eyes, he should make a law that says companies have to use resealable packaging.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trump-eats-tears-for-breakfast-600x420.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	123578

I don't recycle simply because I know it's bullcrap and doesn't do a damn thing for the environment. But I also loathe packaging because of the trash factor, and there are a zillion different things companies could do to reduce their packaging that the consumer wouldn't even notice or would find more convenient.

My packaging pet peeve is those inner sleeves/bags inside boxes of cereal, crackers, cookies, etc. Chip bags annoy me as well. I always put the contents into a resealable bag, throw away the dumb worthless bag, and put my sealed bag of stuff back in the box. Companies could start out with a resealable bag, it might cost 5-cents more per box, and they could pass that on to the consumer without them even realizing it. But they don't.

And dump the cardboard box like Maltos. They sell cereal just in plastic bags, no box. Make that bag resealable.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

My only complaint is that some of those "resealable" bags already being provided by manufacturers (yes, I'm looking at you Malt-O-Meal and various hot dog makers) are positively useless.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    And dump the cardboard box like Maltos. They sell cereal just in plastic bags, no box. Make that bag resealable.
    :

UGH! Something already comes in a bag - WTH wouldn't they just add a simple closure to it????? Frozen foods are the worst offenders.
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    My only complaint is that some of those "resealable" bags already being provided by manufacturers (yes, I'm looking at you Malt-O-Meal and various hot dog makers) are positively useless.
    Or they disguise the fact that it's resealable, so you don't realize it until you've already ripped open the bag.

This is such a simple process - I do it at home all the time. Why is it that food people can't manage this simple task???
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	azf0h.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	123579

I pretty much gave up on recycling for two reasons -

One, the biggest wasters of paper - such as newspaper companies and such - don't use the recycled paper at all.
    We create this giant pile of paper available for recycling - and only a tiny bit ever gets used.

But the other was watching the staff at work take all of the separate containers for recycling -

And dump them in ONE giant hopper. Yep. Plastic, cans, paper - all thrown BACK into one giant bin.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see they're not recycling it at all.

But this kind of sealed the deal for me - until recycled stuff makes serious inroads into manufacturing -
    it's just a feel good policy. It doesn't do anything.
    ďGood intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Members who have read this thread: 36