Thread: Starbucks Replacement LID Uses more plastic then the old lid and straw.

Starbucks Replacement LID Uses more plastic then the old lid and straw.

Britschgi writes, “Right now, Starbucks patrons are topping most of their cold drinks with either 3.23 grams or 3.55 grams of plastic product, depending on whether they pair their lid with a small or large straw. The new nitro lids meanwhile weigh either 3.55 or 4.11 grams, depending again on lid size. (I got these results by measuring Starbucks' plastic straws and lids on two separate scales, both of which gave me the same results.) This means customers are at best breaking even under Starbucks' strawless scheme, or they are adding between .32 and .88 grams to their plastic consumption per drink.”

Oh, but it’s been so trendy to eliminate plastic straws. Britschgi delineates exactly how powerful that trend has become:

In July, Seattle imposed America's first ban on plastic straws. Vancouver, British Columbia, passed a similar ban a few months earlier. There are active attempts to prohibit straws in New York City, Washington, D.C., Portland, Oregon, and San Francisco. A-list celebrities from Calvin Harris to Tom Brady have lectured us on giving up straws. Both National Geographic and The Atlantic have run long profiles on the history and environmental effects of the straw. Vice is now treating their consumption as a dirty, hedonistic excess.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32992...s-hank-berrien
    We’re tempted to suggest a conspiracy here — but it’s just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply can’t conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

“Moral precepts are constant through the ages and not obedient to circumstances.”

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Britschgi writes, “Right now, Starbucks patrons are topping most of their cold drinks with either 3.23 grams or 3.55 grams of plastic product, depending on whether they pair their lid with a small or large straw. The new nitro lids meanwhile weigh either 3.55 or 4.11 grams, depending again on lid size. (I got these results by measuring Starbucks' plastic straws and lids on two separate scales, both of which gave me the same results.) This means customers are at best breaking even under Starbucks' strawless scheme, or they are adding between .32 and .88 grams to their plastic consumption per drink.”

Oh, but it’s been so trendy to eliminate plastic straws. Britschgi delineates exactly how powerful that trend has become:

In July, Seattle imposed America's first ban on plastic straws. Vancouver, British Columbia, passed a similar ban a few months earlier. There are active attempts to prohibit straws in New York City, Washington, D.C., Portland, Oregon, and San Francisco. A-list celebrities from Calvin Harris to Tom Brady have lectured us on giving up straws. Both National Geographic and The Atlantic have run long profiles on the history and environmental effects of the straw. Vice is now treating their consumption as a dirty, hedonistic excess.

It's not the results that matter, it's how they feel about themselves that really counts!

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post

Need to go back to the waxed-paper straws.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

IIRC, it's not so much about total plastic, but that the straw format is dangerous to wildlife in ways that lids are not. I assume you have all seen the video of the guy stuggling to remove the straw from the nostril of a turtle? Pretty horrific. Not advocating, just explaining why the new lid, even with more plastic, is viewed as better.
    "I aim to misbehave."

I'm doing my part... :patselfonback: I haven't used a straw in years and years.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wH878t78bw

Filmed by a marine biologist
    "I aim to misbehave."

Members who have read this thread: 37