Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well there goes the basketball team

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    I was offered scholarships to a NAIA school (which is lower than D3 btw) for baseball, one of my friends for golf.

NAIA is a sanctioning body of college athletics same as NCAA. And while it is considered a lower tier association (between the two), they are not structured the same. So I don't dispute you were offered a baseball scholarship to an NAIA school. What I would dispute is that you were offered a baseball scholarship to a Division 3 school (which is different).

Going through the trouble and expense of having a basketball team in the first place cost far more, unless you are suggesting they are playing on a hoop attached to a tree out in the field.
    I am not suggesting anything (and never was) other than making the assumption previously that these kids had to be at least halfway intelligent to be attending school there ...... to which someone countered with the suggestion they were there (via scholarship) to play basketball. When reading through the updates and recalling some previous articles, in my head, there was a far more likely (and very plausible) string of events that took place. This fit the final charges/plea to which beckoned the question about what "actually" happened. I don't understand where/why things seemingly went off on a tangent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I am not suggesting anything (and never was) other than making the assumption previously that these kids had to be at least halfway intelligent to be attending school there ...... to which someone countered with the suggestion they were there (via scholarship) to play basketball. When reading through the updates and recalling some previous articles, in my head, there was a far more likely (and very plausible) string of events that took place. This fit the final charges/plea to which beckoned the question about what "actually" happened. I don't understand where/why things seemingly went off on a tangent.
    Many things are overlooked in hopes that things will work out with athletes and particular types of students that a school feels the need to increase the enrollment of in the name of political correctness. These basketball players graduated high school, that was most likely all they needed to do to attend St Marys. They obviously are not that intellegent as they have shown some very poor judgement here.
    D3 does get athletes money, just as any overpriced small school does. https://www.athleticscholarships.net...ii-college.htm
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Many things are overlooked in hopes that things will work out with athletes and particular types of students that a school feels the need to increase the enrollment of in the name of political correctness. These basketball players graduated high school, that was most likely all they needed to do to attend St Marys. They obviously are not that intellegent as they have shown some very poor judgement here.
    D3 does get athletes money, just as any overpriced small school does. https://www.athleticscholarships.net...ii-college.htm
    D3 does give athletes money but in the same manner it gives money to non-athletes (grants / financial aid, etc). D3 does NOT give out athletic scholarships and your cited source confirms that. So again, what are we debating about here?

And I don’t disagree with your other points. All valid possibilities which is why I was looking for any other details. My “conspiracy theory” from my initial post may be way off. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised either way. It just seems there is a lot of gray.

Do you think St. Mary's College, in rural southern Maryland, is actively recruiting well-known thugs to funnel into their powerhouse basketball program by circumventing the established NCAA rules and guidelines? Do you really think St. Mary's College is actively taking away funding from otherwise deserving and academically inclined individuals to bolster the backcourt of a team that won 3 games all year (IIRC). LOL!
    In short, Yes.

D3 does give athletes money but in the same manner it gives money to non-athletes (grants / financial aid, etc). D3 does NOT give out athletic scholarships and your cited source confirms that. So again, what are we debating about here?

And I don’t disagree with your other points. All valid possibilities which is why I was looking for any other details. My “conspiracy theory” from my initial post may be way off. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised either way. It just seems there is a lot of gray.
    My point is that they do give money for athletics, they just can't say it is for athletics. Just like the state always says lottery and gambling is "for education" and we know damn well it aint.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

My point is that they do give money for athletics, they just can't say it is for athletics. Just like the state always says lottery and gambling is "for education" and we know damn well it aint.
    I understand that (that there is under the table deals) but my point was some cellar dwelling basketball program out of southern Maryland that won 3 games last year isn’t the likely culprit when it comes to sketchy recruiting talent.

Members who have read this thread: 71