Well there goes the basketball team

Hannibal

So did the full story get released about what actually transpired here? When this all came about, there was talk that it was a small scale beef over the purchase of weed. On one hand, the charges and the allegations (made by the "victim") indicate he was jumped a robbed. On the other hand, there is a story that the dealer tried to screw over one of the kids on the purchase of some weed and was called on it. And when confronted, got his @ss kicked over it (no gun, etc.) and the weed in question (apparently purchased) was taken along with a little extra for the trouble (IE - the kept theft charge).

Given the final charges (and plea) - it almost seems that the latter is quite plausible. Something I read previously (and even the comments to this story) seem to speak to these kids being generally good kids. I assume they have to at least have some brains on them to be in school there (spare me the whole AA / inclusion angle for the time being) so I have a little bit of a hard time believing they are outright criminals engaging in armed robbery given they are known basketball players on campus.

More so, even in my day, normal kids simply looking to score a dime around college, would likely punch their source in the mouth if the guy was blatantly trying to screw them in the deal. In most instances, you're not dealing with MS-13 or cartel hustlers .......

I also want to know if the victim faced any punishment considering I'm assuming he had to acknowledge possession of a significant amount of weed. It's kind of like the story a few weeks ago where some drugged out old dude showed up to the police station to complain that his dealer had sold him the wrong illegal narcotics.

officeguy

So did the full story get released about what actually transpired here? When this all came about, there was talk that it was a small scale beef over the purchase of weed. On one hand, the charges and the allegations (made by the "victim") indicate he was jumped a robbed. On the other hand, there is a story that the dealer tried to screw over one of the kids on the purchase of some weed and was called on it. And when confronted, got his @ss kicked over it (no gun, etc.) and the weed in question (apparently purchased) was taken along with a little extra for the trouble (IE - the kept theft charge).

Given the final charges (and plea) - it almost seems that the latter is quite plausible. Something I read previously (and even the comments to this story) seem to speak to these kids being generally good kids. I assume they have to at least have some brains on them to be in school there (spare me the whole AA / inclusion angle for the time being) so I have a little bit of a hard time believing they are outright criminals engaging in armed robbery given they are known basketball players on campus.

More so, even in my day, normal kids simply looking to score a dime around college, would likely punch their source in the mouth if the guy was blatantly trying to screw them in the deal. In most instances, you're not dealing with MS-13 or cartel hustlers .......

I also want to know if the victim faced any punishment considering I'm assuming he had to acknowledge possession of a significant amount of weed. It's kind of like the story a few weeks ago where some drugged out old dude showed up to the police station to complain that his dealer had sold him the wrong illegal narcotics.

It's all fun and games until someone draws a gun.

CPUSA

So did the full story get released about what actually transpired here? I'm to assume you were there, so you can give us the full story? Did the police interview you to get "the full story"? When this all came about, there was talk that it was a small scale beef over the purchase of weed. Hmmm... is that hood talk for A VIOLENT ESCALATION DURING THE ORIGINAL CRIMINAL ACTIVITY THAT WAS TAKING PLACE? On one hand, the charges and the allegations (made by the "victim") indicate he was jumped a robbed. And what do we call this in a civilized society?...Are you familiar with civility or do you live by the Law of the Jungle? On the other hand, there is a story that the dealer tried to screw over one of the kids on the purchase of some weed and was called on it. And when confronted, got his @ss kicked over it (no gun, etc.) and the weed in question (apparently purchased) was taken along with a little extra for the trouble (IE - the kept theft charge). Hmm...who do I believe? The stoner kid or those committing assault & battery during a robbery? This is a hard one! (No, not really). BTW...taken a lil extra fo da trouble...is just more theft. Call it a penalty. Call it interest...It's still THEFT

Given the final charges (and plea) - it almost seems that the latter is quite plausible. Yes it does. VERY plausible. Given the fact that this County specializes in Catch & Release and out County officials really don't want to see the thugs set fire to their Communities for the smallest of reasons, this is actually MORE plausible Something I read previously (and even the comments to this story) seem to speak to these kids being generally good kids. Finally gettin theys lives together...pretty sure they "dindu nuffin". I assume they have to at least have some brains on them to be in school there Because NO black kid has ever gotten into College on a basketball scholarship!! (spare me the whole AA / inclusion angle for the time being) Time's up!! Now let's get back to the reality of that whole AA/inclusion angle so I have a little bit of a hard time believing they are outright criminals engaging in armed robbery given they are known basketball players on campus. Well, the victim, the judge, the prosecutor and THE LAWS OF A CIVIL SOCIETY beg to differ, but since it's obvious from your post that you are from the land that lives by the Laws of the Jungle... have you ever been to a prison facility? Those places are chock full of known basketball players.

More so, even in my day, normal kids simply looking to score a dime around college, would likely punch their source in the mouth if the guy was blatantly trying to screw them in the deal. In most instances, you're not dealing with MS-13 or cartel hustlers .......No they wouldn't, for fear of getting their azzes handed to them...then have to explain to mommy & daddy why they spent an evening in the ER, getting patched up.

I also want to know if the victim faced any punishment considering I'm assuming he had to acknowledge possession of a significant amount of weed. Look Junebug...Maybe in your hood, ya'll place blame on the victim; therefore justifying victimizing people, but out here in civilized society, we only hold the CRIMINALS responsible. Maybe next time, the dindu nuffins will come to your hood to score their weed. And when you attempt to rip them off & they call you out for your thuggish behavior, maybe the results will go in YOUR favor...today, the thieving assed thugs received very light "justice" It's kind of like the story a few weeks ago where some drugged out old dude showed up to the police station to complain that his dealer had sold him the wrong illegal narcotics.

Ya'lls way of thinking...absolutely mind blowing...

Hannibal

Ya'lls way of thinking...absolutely mind blowing...

Not sure who you're associating me with nor what your inferring about my line of thinking. I am simply stating that there were different versions of this "event" over the course of time (various articles and comments I recalled reading) and I was/am curious if a consensus was ever reached about what 'actually' took place. The above article simply goes from "was charged with" and a summary of the accusations as told by the accuser and is then updated with a "plea" for far less serious charges. For all I know, things unfolded just like the accuser stated. I don't know either way. I believe if you read the rest of my post (beyond the first sentence), the context should have made the initial question quite clear to follow. The rest of your statement reads like an old man on a rant and couldn't be more inaccurate or more convoluted. Spare me. BTW - St. Mary's College of MD is a D3 school so THESE kids weren't there due to their basketball scholarship.

Just the same, if you're willing to blindly accept the accusations of one drug user against another drug user while not having the slightest bit of curiosity concerning the events that evening - that's your call. Life is easier sometimes when you accept what you're told by others. Saves you from having to think for yourself.

officeguy

BTW - St. Mary's College of MD is a D3 school so THESE kids weren't there due to their basketball scholarship.

I am sure they were at the college in recognition of their outstanding achievements in astrophysics.

D3 schools give athletic scholarships. They are just not allowed to call them athletic and have to dress them up as something else.

Hannibal

I am sure they were at the college in recognition of their outstanding achievements in astrophysics.

D3 schools give athletic scholarships. They are just not allowed to call them athletic and have to dress them up as something else.

Do you think St. Mary's College, in rural southern Maryland, is actively recruiting well-known thugs to funnel into their powerhouse basketball program by circumventing the established NCAA rules and guidelines? Do you really think St. Mary's College is actively taking away funding from otherwise deserving and academically inclined individuals to bolster the backcourt of a team that won 3 games all year (IIRC). LOL!

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Do you think St. Mary's College, in rural southern Maryland, is actively recruiting well-known thugs to funnel into their powerhouse basketball program by circumventing the established NCAA rules and guidelines? Do you really think St. Mary's College is actively taking away funding from otherwise deserving and academically inclined individuals to bolster the backcourt of a team that won 3 games all year (IIRC). LOL!

Going through the trouble and expense of having a basketball team in the first place cost far more, unless you are suggesting they are playing on a hoop attached to a tree out in the field.

Hannibal

I was offered scholarships to a NAIA school (which is lower than D3 btw) for baseball, one of my friends for golf.

NAIA is a sanctioning body of college athletics same as NCAA. And while it is considered a lower tier association (between the two), they are not structured the same. So I don't dispute you were offered a baseball scholarship to an NAIA school. What I would dispute is that you were offered a baseball scholarship to a Division 3 school (which is different).

Hannibal

Going through the trouble and expense of having a basketball team in the first place cost far more, unless you are suggesting they are playing on a hoop attached to a tree out in the field.

I am not suggesting anything (and never was) other than making the assumption previously that these kids had to be at least halfway intelligent to be attending school there ...... to which someone countered with the suggestion they were there (via scholarship) to play basketball. When reading through the updates and recalling some previous articles, in my head, there was a far more likely (and very plausible) string of events that took place. This fit the final charges/plea to which beckoned the question about what "actually" happened. I don't understand where/why things seemingly went off on a tangent.

PeoplesElbow

I am not suggesting anything (and never was) other than making the assumption previously that these kids had to be at least halfway intelligent to be attending school there ...... to which someone countered with the suggestion they were there (via scholarship) to play basketball. When reading through the updates and recalling some previous articles, in my head, there was a far more likely (and very plausible) string of events that took place. This fit the final charges/plea to which beckoned the question about what "actually" happened. I don't understand where/why things seemingly went off on a tangent.

Many things are overlooked in hopes that things will work out with athletes and particular types of students that a school feels the need to increase the enrollment of in the name of political correctness. These basketball players graduated high school, that was most likely all they needed to do to attend St Marys. They obviously are not that intellegent as they have shown some very poor judgement here.
D3 does get athletes money, just as any overpriced small school does. https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/10/23/sports-scholarships-division-iii-college.htm

Hannibal

Many things are overlooked in hopes that things will work out with athletes and particular types of students that a school feels the need to increase the enrollment of in the name of political correctness. These basketball players graduated high school, that was most likely all they needed to do to attend St Marys. They obviously are not that intellegent as they have shown some very poor judgement here.
D3 does get athletes money, just as any overpriced small school does. https://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/10/23/sports-scholarships-division-iii-college.htm

D3 does give athletes money but in the same manner it gives money to non-athletes (grants / financial aid, etc). D3 does NOT give out athletic scholarships and your cited source confirms that. So again, what are we debating about here?

And I don’t disagree with your other points. All valid possibilities which is why I was looking for any other details. My “conspiracy theory” from my initial post may be way off. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised either way. It just seems there is a lot of gray.

officeguy

In short, Yes.

PeoplesElbow

D3 does give athletes money but in the same manner it gives money to non-athletes (grants / financial aid, etc). D3 does NOT give out athletic scholarships and your cited source confirms that. So again, what are we debating about here?

And I don’t disagree with your other points. All valid possibilities which is why I was looking for any other details. My “conspiracy theory” from my initial post may be way off. Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised either way. It just seems there is a lot of gray.

My point is that they do give money for athletics, they just can't say it is for athletics. Just like the state always says lottery and gambling is "for education" and we know damn well it aint.

Hannibal

My point is that they do give money for athletics, they just can't say it is for athletics. Just like the state always says lottery and gambling is "for education" and we know damn well it aint.

I understand that (that there is under the table deals) but my point was some cellar dwelling basketball program out of southern Maryland that won 3 games last year isn’t the likely culprit when it comes to sketchy recruiting talent.