Thread: Crab Skiff Races at Tall Timbers this weekend

Crab Skiff Races at Tall Timbers this weekend

Tomorrow - Saturday July 14th - from 11:30 -4. Smith Island Crab Skiff races, good food and live music.
    "Dark humor is like food. Not everyone gets it." - J. Stalin

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Interesting. Is it a sailing or motor race - those boats go both ways. How large an engine is allowed?
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by b23hqb View Post
    Interesting. Is it a sailing or motor race - those boats go both ways. How large an engine is allowed?
    You may find that info here...

http://crabskiff.org/main/page_home.html

or here...

https://www.facebook.com/Smith-Islan...-295269101404/
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Quote Originally Posted by stgislander View Post
    No help that I can see, but interesting. I'm sure it's a hoot for everybody involved in this festivity.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by b23hqb View Post
    No help that I can see, but interesting. I'm sure it's a hoot for everybody involved in this festivity.
    It's straight-up powerboat racing, with several classes ranging from "1800s stock construction" to "as light as you can build it". All race boats are required to stay within the limits of 625cc v-twin air-cooled engines (Kohler, Briggs, Kawasaki, etc..like the lawn mower racers use), nominally 20HP. Of course there's a lot more power coming out of some of 'em.. ;-)

It's a blast.

Good site with great pictures...

https://www.twistedoysterboats.com/
    Last edited by Gilligan; 07-13-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Good racing...good crowd. Perfect weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    It's straight-up powerboat racing, with several classes ranging from "1800s stock construction" to "as light as you can build it". All race boats are required to stay within the limits of 625cc v-twin air-cooled engines (Kohler, Briggs, Kawasaki, etc..like the lawn mower racers use), nominally 20HP. Of course there's a lot more power coming out of some of 'em.. ;-)

It's a blast.

Good site with great pictures...

https://www.twistedoysterboats.com/
    Real nice pictures. Thanks.

The race was designated the "Capt. Jeff Swanson Memorial" race and a good friend of Jeffs' (and mine) took Jeff's racing skiff out on his behalf and whupped up on the fleet. Jeff's "Twisted Oyster" took first in all three races.

Members who have read this thread: 28