1 Kings 2 David's parting words

seekeroftruth

1 Kings 2:1 When the time drew near for David to die, he gave a charge to Solomon his son.

2 “I am about to go the way of all the earth,” he said. “So be strong, act like a man, 3 and observe what the Lord your God requires: Walk in obedience to him, and keep his decrees and commands, his laws and regulations, as written in the Law of Moses. Do this so that you may prosper in all you do and wherever you go 4 and that the Lord may keep his promise to me: ‘If your descendants watch how they live, and if they walk faithfully before me with all their heart and soul, you will never fail to have a successor on the throne of Israel.’

5 “Now you yourself know what Joab son of Zeruiah did to me—what he did to the two commanders of Israel’s armies, Abner son of Ner and Amasa son of Jether. He killed them, shedding their blood in peacetime as if in battle, and with that blood he stained the belt around his waist and the sandals on his feet. 6 Deal with him according to your wisdom, but do not let his gray head go down to the grave in peace.

7 “But show kindness to the sons of Barzillai of Gilead and let them be among those who eat at your table. They stood by me when I fled from your brother Absalom.

8 “And remember, you have with you Shimei son of Gera, the Benjamite from Bahurim, who called down bitter curses on me the day I went to Mahanaim. When he came down to meet me at the Jordan, I swore to him by the Lord: ‘I will not put you to death by the sword.’ 9 But now, do not consider him innocent. You are a man of wisdom; you will know what to do to him. Bring his gray head down to the grave in blood.”

10 Then David rested with his ancestors and was buried in the City of David. 11 He had reigned forty years over Israel—seven years in Hebron and thirty-three in Jerusalem. 12 So Solomon sat on the throne of his father David, and his rule was firmly established.​

This is from the easy English site.

In the ancient world, kings did not just lead the government. They were also the chief judges in their kingdoms. Fair judgements in the law courts are essential in any country.

David had been a good king. But he was aware that, sometimes, he had not been a good judge. In particular, there were two men whom he ought to have punished. But he was too weak to punish them. And there was one family that deserved special honour. David felt that he had not sufficiently rewarded that family.

David had not been able to carry out these judgements himself. But he saw that Solomon would be a wise king. The beginning of Solomon’s rule would be a good opportunity to act.

David told Solomon that he should kill Joab and Shimei. These were powerful men who had done evil things. But they had managed to avoid punishment.

Joab had killed Abner (2 Samuel chapter 3) and Amasa (2 Samuel chapter 20). He had pretended to be their friend. Afterwards, he wore the belt and shoes that had stains of blood on them. This showed that he was not sorry for his actions. Also, he was not afraid of any punishment. David should have killed Joab himself, but David was not bold enough to do so. David told Solomon that he should kill Joab.

Barzillai was a very old man who gave food to David and his army. David tells Solomon to help Barzillai’s family as a reward. Perhaps Barzillai himself was dead.

Shimei cursed and threw stones at David. That was when David ran away from Absalom. Kings usually killed people who cursed them. Shimei later asked David to forgive him. David promised that he would not kill him (2 Samuel chapter 19). It seems that David considered his promise to be unwise. Shimei deserved punishment. David told Solomon that he should kill Shimei. David did not want Solomon to punish Shimei because of what Shimei had done to David personally. But it was God who appointed David to be the king. So a curse on the king was like a curse on God. Solomon must punish Shimei.

They buried David in his own city after he had ruled Israel for 40 years. He achieved many things during his life. He loved God with his whole heart. He was a great king.​

Cleaning up stuff on the death bed seems to be the thing to do. So David had to take care of three little matters that have been bugging him. I'll do the good one first. The rich man.... in 2 Samuel 17-19.....took care of David and his men just because the soldiers were hungry and tired. When David tried to repay him... he turned him down... he had no need for the riches of David's throne.

Then there was Shemei.... what a lucky little guy he was. Abishai, Job's brother and general at one point, wanted him killed on the spot for cursing David and throwing rocks at him. I think the only reason Shemei is still alive is that David didn't want Abishai telling him what to do or not to do.
2 Samuel 19:22 David replied, “What does this have to do with you, you sons of Zeruiah? What right do you have to interfere? Should anyone be put to death in Israel today? Don’t I know that today I am king over Israel?” 23 So the king said to Shimei, “You shall not die.” And the king promised him on oath.​

Then there's the third guy... Joab. David doesn't seem to be the kind that would carry out personal vendettas. It's not nice to kill someone because you think they are no good. Joab served David even though he murdered two of David's sons. Solomon didn't need him lurking in the corners plotting to take the throne for someone else.

So these deathbed talks always seem to be troubling for someone. Now King David has passed, long live King Solomon.

:coffee: