Tesla has new factory in China

katsung47

Tesla goes big in China with Shanghai plant

Reuters Reuters July 10,2018

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk on Tuesday landed a deal with Chinese authorities to build a new auto plant in Shanghai, its first factory outside the United States, that would double the size of the electric car maker's global manufacturing.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-goes-big-china-shanghai-011731874.html

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/f...om/sieve_img/abfe007e2e09b227c67bc63b273f7569

This_person

I wonder where is Trump and his speech about Harley Davidson.

Considering the horrific environmental impacts of electric cars' batteries as compared to dozens of miles per gallon of a motorcycle, I'm guessing Trump is with informed environmentalists in thinking it's better they destroy their land and drinking water than we do ours.

glhs837

Power with Control
IMHO,This is a good thing because Tesla is a goddam bad joke. :lmao:

Damn, show me on the model car where Tesla touched you:)

I wonder where is Trump and his speech about Harley Davidson.

Not the same, in fact, Trump could call this out as a sucess, seeing as this is the first time a US automaker has been allowed to build thier own factory without being required to partner with a Chinese company. Unlike Harley, whose sales haven been falling for a while and used the tariffs as an excuse for a cost cutting measure they have wnated to do for some time.

Clem72

IMHO,This is a good thing because Tesla is a goddam bad joke. :lmao:

Ohh, you salty. What's the matter, lost money betting against them? They make a nice car for a not-so-nice price, and people are lined up to buy them. If they are a joke they are laughing all the way to the bank.

And don't try to convince me the cars aren't nice. There are several in my neighborhood and I have driven both the Model S and Model 3 multiple times and if I could justify spending that kind of money on a car I would love to buy one.

This_person

Ohh, you salty. What's the matter, lost money betting against them? They make a nice car for a not-so-nice price, and people are lined up to buy them. If they are a joke they are laughing all the way to the bank.

And don't try to convince me the cars aren't nice. There are several in my neighborhood and I have driven both the Model S and Model 3 multiple times and if I could justify spending that kind of money on a car I would love to buy one.

You don't care at all about the environment, do you?

glhs837

Power with Control

So, not as green as you might think does not mean not greener than the competition. From your article.

“We’re shifting pollution, and in the process we’re hoping that it doesn’t have the environmental impact,” says Abraham. He believes that when you add all the environmental impacts, they still come out in favor of electric vehicles. (The Union of Concerned Scientists agrees; it found that even when you add in emissions from battery manufacturing, EVs generate half the emissions of a conventional car over the course of its life.)

Now, about the power source.

According to Tesla's spokesperson, the company already recycles all battery packs returned to it and plans to do more. As the battery market grows—driven by investments like Tesla’s upcoming Gigafactory—its greater numbers will drive up recycling efficiencies and reduce impact on the environment.

How many ICE engines are recycled directly, whats the differential between the energy cost to take onlg engines and make news ones compared to harvesting the materials in a battery? And whats environmental cost of thousands of junkyards slowly leaching tens of thousands of gallons of oil and ransmission fluid into the soil?

Of course the long term requires us to stop taking resources from the planet at all. You know anyone working towards expanding into space, where materials are just floating around, and you can just dump your toxic production byproducts right into the Sun? :)

This_person

So, not as green as you might think does not mean not greener than the competition. From your article.

From what you quoted: "...we're hoping...He believes..." The UCS does not take into account anything but emissions. Which is worse, the toxic waste, or some oil that CAME from the ground in the first place?

Of course the long term requires us to stop taking resources from the planet at all. You know anyone working towards expanding into space, where materials are just floating around, and you can just dump your toxic production byproducts right into the Sun? :)

And what will that accomplish besides the potential of having the toxic waste fall to earth if there is a rocket malfunction (this of course is the argument against disposing of nuclear waste by flying it into the sun)?

glhs837

Power with Control
From what you quoted: "...we're hoping...He believes..." The UCS does not take into account anything but emissions. Which is worse, the toxic waste, or some oil that CAME from the ground in the first place?

And what will that accomplish besides the potential of having the toxic waste fall to earth if there is a rocket malfunction (this of course is the argument against disposing of nuclear waste by flying it into the sun)?

He said we are hoping the impact isnt as bad referencing the shift in what materials we take from the earth. It literally says right in the quote that

The Union of Concerned Scientists agrees; it found that even when you add in emissions from battery manufacturing, EVs generate half the emissions of a conventional car over the course of its life.)

I think you misunderstood. I meant that you get the resources from space based places, like asteroids. And you do your manufacturing in space. Therefore your toxic byproducts never ride a rocket other than from a facility in orbit (or a Lagrange point, to the sun.

Clem72

No, not particularly. Why would you assume that I do? Might I not be interested in a 4 second 0-60mph car that can conveniently fuel up in my garage, looks nice, and is fun to drive?

I drove a hybrid for a while too, but only because I had a long commute, got it dirt cheap (used), and it saved me half the cost of the entire vehicle vs what I was paying to fuel my old econo-box that got 25-30mpg. I am frugal, possibly plain ole cheap, I don't really give a shet about the environment.