1 Kings 2 Virgin?

seekeroftruth

1 Kings 2:13 Now Adonijah, the son of Haggith, went to Bathsheba, Solomon’s mother. Bathsheba asked him, “Do you come peacefully?”

He answered, “Yes, peacefully.” 14 Then he added, “I have something to say to you.”

“You may say it,” she replied.

15 “As you know,” he said, “the kingdom was mine. All Israel looked to me as their king. But things changed, and the kingdom has gone to my brother; for it has come to him from the Lord. 16 Now I have one request to make of you. Do not refuse me.”

“You may make it,” she said.

17 So he continued, “Please ask King Solomon—he will not refuse you—to give me Abishag the Shunammite as my wife.”

18 “Very well,” Bathsheba replied, “I will speak to the king for you.”​

The commentary this morning is from enduringword.com.

Do you come peaceably: This was a valid question. Adonijah attempted to succeed David as king over Israel, but was kept from establishing his reign when Nathan and Bathsheba warned King David of Adonijah’s attempt. Adonijah had reason to wish revenge on Bathsheba.

You know that the kingdom was mine, and all Israel had set their expectations on me, that I should reign: Adonijah seemed to suffer from delusions of grandeur. He imagined that there was widespread popular support for him as king. In reality, he only had a handful of influential malcontents to support him, and they quickly deserted him when it was evident that David favored Solomon (1 Kings 1:49).

That he may give me Abishag the Shunammite as wife: In all likelihood, Abishag was a concubine of David’s and therefore legally bound to him. David’s death broke that bond, and now Adonijah wanted to take the concubine widow Abishag as wife.

We can surmise that Adonjiah wanted more than Abishag’s beauty (1 Kings 1:3-4). In 2 Samuel 16:20-23 Absalom, the brother of Adonijah, asserted his rebellious claim on David’s throne by taking David’s concubines unto himself. Adonijah wants to declare or build a claim to Solomon’s throne by taking David’s widowed concubine as his wife.

This idea has historical examples. Among the ancient Persians and Arabs, the new king took the harem of the previous king.​

Abishag the Shunammite was David's GNA [Geriatric Nursing Assistant]. She took care of him in his last days. She was protected because David named her a concubine. She was like a wife... only she didn't have a sexual relationship with him. The Bible says....

1 Kings 1:4 4 The woman was very beautiful; she took care of the king and waited on him, but the king had no sexual relations with her.​

This is from Bible.org.

The remainder of 1 Kings 2 describes how Solomon carried out David’s counsel and thereby consolidated his kingdom. Adonijah made it relatively easy for Solomon. Adonijah persuaded Bathsheba to request that he be given Abishag as his wife. Abishag was considered one of David’s concubines and, as such, giving her to Adonijah would be tantamount to acknowledging his right to reign as Israel’s king. To possess the king’s concubine was to take his place. David saw through Adonijah’s scheme. He had granted him mercy once, but now he sends Benaiah to execute him. Adonijah will not trouble the kingdom further.

This is from the "got questions" site.

In those days of royal harems, taking possession of a king’s concubines was a declaration of one’s right to the throne. This had been one of Absalom’s methods when he led a coup against David (2 Samuel 16:22). Since Abishag was considered part of David’s harem, her marriage to Adonijah would have strengthened the usurper’s claim to the throne.​

Quite frankly, I'm taking Abishag's position quite personally. She was a virgin when she walked into his bedroom and I believe she was still a virgin when David passed away. I believe it was her virginity was what he was after... if not... if Adonijah was looking for a child with one of David's wives... he could have chosen any of them... including Bathsheba herself. If all he wanted was a male heir that he could use to get to the throne... wouldn't it be better to take one of the wives who was proven fruitful? Nope... there's something different about this one.

:coffee:

Last edited: